Possible front axle swap

Ignorant question time, how straight does the front driveshaft need to be. Obviously you wouldn’t install a passenger side diff but does it matter if it’s a few inches off from side to side?

It can be off set a little towards either side. But you have to be careful it doesn't hit the engine on one side or the lower control arm on the other side.

Reactions: pc1p and RHanna
I guess I could add that where I have mine it is in a good spot. We mocked it up to a Dana 30 axle. And I think that makes it work.

If you have it angled towards the center you also have to worry about hitting the transmission or bellhousing.

I don’t think it would end up so far off it would hit anything. I just assume stock form it’s almost dead on straight ahead. Just wanted to check that an inch or 2 would matter

Reactions: Wildman
I don’t think it would end up so far off it would hit anything. I just assume stock form it’s almost dead on straight ahead. Just wanted to check that an inch or 2 would matter

1631240633641.png

Looking at that picture of the axle it's defiantly offset more toward the center than mine is. I don't think it'll be a issue but I don't know for sure.

Glad this came up and helpful info!

While jeeping around Moab this last week I had a few occurrences where the rear locker would not hold the lock (driver rear wheel) during some of the more vertical climbs on MM & SB and sometimes it would happen halfway up. It was not all the time and was not like the compressor was coming on due to leaking.

I found if I quickly dumped the back locker and replenished using their arb SK12, it would keep it locked thru the climb. It seemed more like I just needed more air and this thread seems to supports my suspension. I verified my SK12 has the original 70-100 psi and ordered a 90-120 switch which would not make it to me before leaving Moab but it would be a lot less costly then tearing the locker apart. The switches only cost a few bucks so I think now I'll also get one that goes to 150 as a second test.

Maybe the jeep gods will shine on me and I'll fix my issue for less than $20.00.

Thanks

Reactions: Wildman