Potential brake issue?

Dunkut88TJ

Living the Dream
Supporting Member
Good day! While driving earlier today I went to brake and the Jeep just pulled hard left while I was steering it back over the line. I did it again on a back road, same thing, pulled hard left under moderate braking. I’ve done some googling and found a few things but wondered if anyone else has had this? Is it a caliper stuck, collapsed line? Just looking for any wisdom for a starting point. The Jeep sat for about two hours and then on the way home there were no issues while braking.

some helpful info, Jeep was just aligned, suspension only had about 1200 miles on it and was re-torqued about 500 miles ago. I am running 35’s on stock brakes- looking to upgrade to bigger brakes in the near future and am open to suggestions. I know the black magic brakes are highly spoken of-are they a fairly simple install?

I have done a lot to this Jeep in the last year but brakes are the one area I have yet to tackle myself, guess now is the time to learn! Thanks

I am running 35’s on stock brakes- looking to upgrade to bigger brakes in the near future and am open to suggestions. I know the black magic brakes are highly spoken of-are they a fairly simple install?
I don't need (can't afford) the BBK mrblaine has, but the BM pads and Centric premium rotors are a must have for larger tires. FOLLOW his instructions carefully and flush out that old dirty fluid. Then follow the break in procedure as stated in the instructions and the end result is unbelievable compared to stock. Treat them like a prostitute and ride them hard to keep them working great for years to come. They aren't millennial brakes. so they don't require babying and pampering to work well.
p.s. If he sends you two decals, I want one for a fair price. ;) My hat is getting worn out.

Last edited:
I don't need (can't afford) the BBK mrblaine has, but the BM pads and Centric premium rotors are a must have for larger tires. FOLLOW his instructions carefully and flush out that old dirty fluid. Then follow the break in procedure as stated in the instructions and the end result is unbelievable compared to stock. Treat them like a prostitute and ride them hard to keep them working great for years to come. They aren't millennial brakes. so they don't require babying and pampering to work well.
p.s. If he sends you two decals, I want one for a fair price. ;) My hat is getting worn out.
I will look into this for sure, I was looking at his site yesterday but wasn’t entirely sure what to get. Lots of options, one set I was looking at was $383 I believe

If it is a caliper issue, pads and rotors aren't going to do you any good.
This was my thought to replace?

9446B7E6-B014-49B3-A440-90C6F0E3A3BA.png

@mrblaine what are you recommendations from the above if I’m going to replace brakes? Not sure I need Big brake kit, new arena for me
The worst test possible but the only one of value is to see if you can lock up the front tires at speed.

If it isn't staying locked up or sticking when stopped, it will be hard to diagnose whether the caliper is full or crap of the brake line has an issue.

After you know if you can lock the fronts, then some parts can be figured out.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
The worst test possible but the only one of value is to see if you can lock up the front tires at speed.

If it isn't staying locked up or sticking when stopped, it will be hard to diagnose whether the caliper is full or crap of the brake line has an issue.

After you know if you can lock the fronts, then some parts can be figured out.
That sounds slightly horrifying, but I’ll give it a shot this weekend when I get home and be in touch. In all honesty (you know better than most) rolling on 35’s it needs more stopping power than what it has regardless.

If you try and they don't, try again in reverse. Makes it easier to lock the fronts without going as fast. It might help determine if something's not working properly.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Just did Black Magic Pads, rotors and calipers front and rear about a month ago. I can't remember the last time I've had this kind of stopping power. Without a doubt one of the best mods I've done.

Reactions: Apparition
Just did Black Magic Pads, rotors and calipers front and rear about a month ago. I can't remember the last time I've had this kind of stopping power. Without a doubt one of the best mods I've done.
Are the rear brakes an easy install?

@mrblaine so I took the rig out just now and got rolling and mashed the brakes pretty damn hard, she stopped, quite well I must say. I didn’t lock and screech tires, not sure if that was the goal on the test or not???

They seem to be operating as they should