Power Steering Pulley Replacement

Zef

Hi

My radiator and fan are off the vehicle and I'm looking for things to do with the wide open space (another thread).

My power steering pulley seems to have a bearing going bad. I can wiggle it back and forth - I assume this is not expected behavior? And the spin is a little grinding.

My question is: Can I replace it with the pump installed? I think I can, but all videos I've found show the pump removed.

Thanks!

You should be able to replace with the pump bolted up. You will need a special puller that is avaialble to rent from the chain stores. You need to make sure and lube the threaded portions of the puller.

Hi

My radiator and fan are off the vehicle and I'm looking for things to do with the wide open space (another thread).

My power steering pulley seems to have a bearing going bad. I can wiggle it back and forth - I assume this is not expected behavior? And the spin is a little grinding.

My question is: Can I replace it with the pump installed? I think I can, but all videos I've found show the pump removed.

Thanks!

Power steering pumps will have a slight amount of play in the shaft in and out. The pulley is just a pulley press fit onto the shaft. The only bearing is in the pump.

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
Thanks all! I assumed the pulley had a bearing - since it doesn't there's no use replacing just the pulley. I'll post a video later - perhaps I'm seeing an issue where there is none.