bostontj

So I've recently started to gather tools for work I've done and am going to do on my tj. It seems that it might be safer/easier to invest in a cordless impact or something? Anyone have opinions? Thoughts? Thanks!

Nathan

I would always have a cutting tool / grinder around since they come in handy.

In addition to that I have both a corded and cordless impact gun I got from Harbor Freight for a damn good deal. I've been using them both for years without any issues at all, and they work fantastic.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, only messing around with my own vehicles, motorcycles, 4wheelers. I typically don't make huge investments in tools. But I splurged this fall and I kick myself in the ass for waiting 43 yrs to get a good tool. This being the best tool I've ever owned!!!!
Snapon cordless impact
11701201_10153371318477638_6326512847062299328_n.jpg

I'm not a mechanic by trade, only messing around with my own vehicles, motorcycles, 4wheelers. I typically don't make huge investments in tools. But I splurged this fall and I kick myself in the ass for waiting 43 yrs to get a good tool. This being the best tool I've ever owned!!!!
Snapon cordless impactView attachment 3035

No argument there. My buddy has one of those and if you can afford it it's the best cordless impact money can buy.

Reactions: bostontj
You have to pay really good $$$ for a cordless impact tool that is powerful enough to be useful for most needs. I bought a top of the line Craftsman cordless impact tool and it was useless on even lug nuts, it was returned for a refund the first weekend. I'd stick with a Milwaukee, Snap-On, or something in that class of tool but they're not cheap.

The electric tool that gets the most use by me is my Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder. That tool can cut and grind like I can't believe, it's a good heavy-duty tool that really holds up. Hmmm maybe it's my most used tool because my welding skills are debatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slepnir and Chris
I have a grinder as I work with steel a lot. How much torque does everyone recommend? Why is Dewalt significantly cheaper?

I've used cordless tools since 12v was the big thing. In that time I've used Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, and a few others. Due to my happiness with the 12v Milwaukee stuff many years ago which very much outperformed Makita at the time, I tried some of the 28v stuff about 10 years ago and it was just ok and not worth the money. I had some 18v Makita that was pretty impressive at the same time but nothing directly comparable. Reading some reviews of stuff on another board, everyone was raving about the Milwaukee 18v Fuel. Having been given a small Milwaukee 12v 1/4" impact for Christmas a few years back and being happy but not overjoyed with it, I was again, still a bit skeptical due to the simple math of how 18v can't be as good as 28v, right?

I splurged and bought the 18v Fuel Milwaukee 1/2" Impact. The first time I pulled the trigger removing a lug nut, I instantly figured out the hype was a bit understated. It will burp the 36mm axle nut off of a unitbearing stub shaft like it was put on finger tight. If you use it to install lug nuts, you can't let the impact hammer click more than 2 times or you have over-torqued past the 100 ft lbs. I used a normal 36mm older Craftsman socket on one just about a week ago and in about a half second, it blew up the socket and I had to go get the impact version of the 36mm to finish up.

I was so impressed that I started looking for other stuff in the 18v Fuel line to get and now I have 8 batteries, 4 chargers, and roughly 10 tools and am on the look-out for other jobs I need to buy tools for. They are simply hands down the best I've ever seen or used.

I'll try to get a picture soon to show something rather important but everyone was also raving about the 3/8" 18v Fuel impact. I hunted one down and bought it online and when it showed up, I was certain I had bought the wrong one as it was only slightly larger than the 1/4" impact driver I have in 12v from Milwaukee. I chucked up a 3/4" socket and went after a set of lug nuts I know were torqued to 100 ft lbs and it zipped them off in a most impressive fashion. It is now my single most used cordless tool and my helper and I are continually impressed by how well it works.

I also discovered that I sort of overreacted by buying extra batteries. We've used big and little impacts for a couple of weeks at a time installing lift kits and working on rigs with two of us and not completely run down a battery. Battery life is very outstanding. Milwaukee knocked this one out of the park and then some.

I have now given away all of my 28v stuff, most of the older Makita stuff from a few years ago, and the Bosch stuff I had. They just don't compare in any manner at all.

The only one I haven't given away is the Makita 4 1/2" 18v grinder. Based on the performance of the other 18v Fuel stuff, I bought the Milwaukee 4 1/2" 18v Fuel version and it blows the Makita away. It cuts faster, longer, and will keep cutting at pressures that well exceed the overload light on the Makita which stops the grinder and it has to be reset due to heat in the battery or similar.

Battery life in the grinder is also outstanding. The Makita is good for about 5 minutes max of run time cutting steel. I've not been able to run the Milwaukee 18v 5.0 ah versions down in 20 minutes of using the grinder doing the same tasks.

I have a grinder as I work with steel a lot. How much torque does everyone recommend? Why is Dewalt significantly cheaper?
I will give you every freaking Dewalt in my shop. Need I say more?

Blaine that is impressive. Now I am in trouble again because I told the boss I "need" those Milwaukees!:eek:

I have a craftsman impact and it's been fine for everything to include lug nuts. The only time I've had to used something else is if there is a ton of rust involved. Had it over a year with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a Craftsman Impact, 19.2 volt, and its mostly a joke. In-between uses, it doesn't retain a charge. Even with a full charge, its not real great. Very disappointed, but haven't done anything about it I guess. I've had much better luck with my DeWalt cordless products. They hold a charge for multiple months, and I've found them to be great products.

I second the recommendation of a grinder, which will come in very handy with your TJ.

I like both corded and cordless options for all of my tools as nothing pisses me off more than being in the middle of a project and having to wait for a battery to charge. Having multiple batteries isn't always sufficient since they may still discharge in-between uses.

Impact tools... The most important thing is to always use IMPACT sockets ONLY. Both for safety and performance.

Cordless doubles the expense of any tool and while there are excellent cordless impacts out there if you have a 120V plug within 50 feet of where you are working a good corded impact or heavy duty drill or grinder will always blow away the cordless alternatives. And talking GOOD, QUALITY, HEAVY DUTY... Corded is likely 1/4 the price of cordless. But if you have the budget, the best HD Cordless are pretty close to the corded alternates. If you want to save bucks, Do Not buy a cheap cordless. Buy the best corded instead.

Every manufacturer has ups and downs. Currently Milwaukie Tools are amongst the best. Makita is and has been good for years... maybe more consistent on the quality thing than anyone else.

I have the full line of Milwaukie M11, 12Volt tools and use them daily for work but my job entails very little "heavy duty" work. I also have a corded Makita 16" cutoff saw, Makitas HD 1/2", low speed drill... It must be 30 years old and Makita still makes it. And a couple of Makita Grinders, a 4.5"... best all around size, and a 7"... overkill, awkward, heavy, but great if you have a lot of welding to clean up or cut.

Reactions: bostontj
Impact tools... The most important thing is to always use IMPACT sockets ONLY. Both for safety and performance.

Cordless doubles the expense of any tool and while there are excellent cordless impacts out there if you have a 120V plug within 50 feet of where you are working a good corded impact or heavy duty drill or grinder will always blow away the cordless alternatives. And talking GOOD, QUALITY, HEAVY DUTY... Corded is likely 1/4 the price of cordless. But if you have the budget, the best HD Cordless are pretty close to the corded alternates. If you want to save bucks, Do Not buy a cheap cordless. Buy the best corded instead.

Every manufacturer has ups and downs. Currently Milwaukie Tools are amongst the best. Makita is and has been good for years... maybe more consistent on the quality thing than anyone else.

I have the full line of Milwaukie M11, 12Volt tools and use them daily for work but my job entails very little "heavy duty" work. I also have a corded Makita 16" cutoff saw, Makitas HD 1/2", low speed drill... It must be 30 years old and Makita still makes it. And a couple of Makita Grinders, a 4.5"... best all around size, and a 7"... overkill, awkward, heavy, but great if you have a lot of welding to clean up or cut.
I would have to pick up a compressor as well then?

Dewalt... yes, crap today.

I ran a contractors lumber, tools, hardware store for 15 years. Initially Dewalt was outstanding. Then like every other business they got tempted with the box store... "We want a container of Dewalt Tools, whats your best price... you say $84.00 each. They say we'll take 5 containers at $64.00 each...". Of course you say "yeah, we want that order" and you figure out how to save $20.00. In Dewalts case the DW1234 became the DW 12345... the metal shaft became a plastic shaft... and suddenly every home handy man could afford a DW12345.

Happens every where. AEV Rims... made offshore now to be more competitive... and for a while they had a cracking problem where the spoke meets the rim. Some Warn winches... made off shore to compete with all the real cheap winches. At least Warn still makes the top line "made in the USA" winch too.

But Dewalt is now the box store supplier for the handyman who uses their tools once a year. 15 years ago? They made great contractor tools.

Got it. I've never owned anything DeWalt, but I'll avoid them based off everything I hear.

You know, surprisingly I have a few Harbor Freight tools that have held up nicely over the years. Of course I don't use them on a daily basis like a career mechanic would, so I suppose that's why.

I hadn't found that to be true in all cases so I did a search for some specs and prices. I found an equivalent Makita impact driver that is comparable to my Milwaukee M-18 Fuel 1/2"

https://www.zoro.com/makita-impact-...gclid=CO78xvye88oCFYSGaQod5kQGAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Milwaukee which includes 2 batteries and the charger.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFUA7FC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have found corded superiority in some things, but with today's lithium ion battery technology and brushless motors, the gap is closing daily.