I hadn't found that to be true in all cases so I did a search for some specs and prices. I found an equivalent Makita impact driver that is comparable to my Milwaukee M-18 Fuel 1/2"

https://www.zoro.com/makita-impact-...gclid=CO78xvye88oCFYSGaQod5kQGAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Milwaukee which includes 2 batteries and the charger.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFUA7FC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have found corded superiority in some things, but with today's lithium ion battery technology and brushless motors, the gap is closing daily.

I'd pay for the Makita every time.

A 1" square Drive vs a 1/2" square drive is hardly a comparison. Regardless of the "manufacturers spec".

I'd say this is the comparable Makita corded

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000140B5O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
I'd pay for the Makita every time.

A 1" square Drive vs a 1/2" square drive is hardly a comparison. Regardless of the "manufacturers spec".

I'd say this is the comparable Makita corded

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000140B5O/?tag=wranglerorg-20
You may scoff at the rated power of the Milwaukee but I promise you beyond a shadow of a doubt that it holds true to exactly every ounce of what they say it can do and it does it all the way to right before the battery dies. Yes, I understand that a 1" square drive is larger but it is the only Makita corded I found that went up to that level of torque.

That Makita you picked is similar to the 3/8" small Milwaukee that I have or this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYFNMJQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Most sockets are built to handle a maximum torque... I haven't seen those torque specs in a long time but I am curious how much torque the 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" impact sockets can handle... same for the bolts, do you need 1100ftlb for bolts that would use a 1/2" drive impact socket?

1100ftlbs on a 1/2" bolt sounds like the latest Cummins with 900 ftlb in a Wrangler... I think it has almost been done.

Most sockets are built to handle a maximum torque... I haven't seen those torque specs in a long time but I am curious how much torque the 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" impact sockets can handle... same for the bolts, do you need 1100ftlb for bolts that would use a 1/2" drive impact socket?

1100ftlbs on a 1/2" bolt sounds like the latest Cummins with 900 ftlb in a Wrangler... I think it has almost been done.
It's not 1100 ft lbs as soon as you touch the trigger and as much tool experience as you said you had, you already know that. I use it for control arm bolts, t-case yoke nuts, stub axle nuts, the lug nuts on the dually, and pinion nuts on axles. It is nice to know that I can take one tool under there and zip a Dana 60 pinion nut off without breaking a sweat. On the other hand, I have almost relegated the big tool to nothing but big stuff since I got the little 3/8" version which we used today to tighten 9/16" control arm bolts, removed a skid plate lower kit and reinstalled it, and the lug nuts on and off on 2 rims.

You are correct about one thing though. Since I bought the 3/8" I have had to use far more impact sockets with it than any tool I've ever had. It will blow up regular Craftsman sockets with a frightening regularity and I've used them with other impacts over the years with no issue including putting a 1/2-3/8" adapter on the 28v 1/2" impact.

To put all of that somewhat into perspective, I have an Ingersoll Rand Hammerhead 1/2" impact air ratchet. It is rated at 175 ft lbs and it won't even begin to break a lower control arm bolt loose and that little 3/8" Milwaukee zips them off like they are little more than finger tight. My helper and I use corded, cordless, and air tools daily and both of us continually just look at the little thing and shake our heads because we still can't believe what it is capable of.

I built my wife some planters out of 4 inch flattened and peeled landscape logs. I got the 7" long Spax Timber screws to screw them together after I stacked them up log cabin style. The little non fuel 12v Milwaukee impact driver would run 25 of those in on one battery.

I have a Dewalt 1/2 impact. With a fully charged battery it will not drive a 100 pound torqued lug nut off the stud.:mad: Battery life is "ok" on one battery and freaking useless on the other one. Plus it is heavy! On the other hand my son has a 1/2 in Snap On impact that is awesome but he gave an arm and leg for it.

I have a Dewalt cordless 1/2 in chucked drill. The Chuck will not hold a bit when the drilling gets tough. The battery life on both batteries is very poor by my standards. I also have a Ryobi 1/2 cordless drill and it is about the same with battery life even shorter that the DeWalt.

Without a doubt the best cordless I have had was a Christmas present: A Craftsman 1/4 inch, angle head, impact driver. Small, light weight, great battery life and relatively powerful. Unfortunately, I ruined it after 6 years by misplacing it outside during a freezing rain and snow storm. Didn't find it for a month. It died a painful death:(

No you can't have my DeWalt angle grinder. It is a cord grinder and does just as well as my $12.95 Harbor Freight angle grinder. One has a flap wheel and the other a cut off.

Food for thought when buying tools. Think about the frequency of it's use. If unsure how long it might be between uses then perhaps a corded version might be better or- perhaps a unit like the above Milwaukee Fuel series where you are at least using one of the tools a month. I have several tools and limited time and will sometimes find the batteries too low to complete the task if I do not plan ahead enough to get them on a charger. Because of this I run a mix of corded and battery models depending on how often and how long I use them. I also run some air tools but consider the compressor size and amount of air storage before buying an air tool or you will be disappointed.

Reactions: bostontj
I also run some air tools but consider the compressor size and amount of air storage before buying an air tool or you will be disappointed.
I played the home owner compressor game for many years and at the end of it when I added up what I spent, it made the 1300 I paid for the Big Ingersoll Rand seem cheap in comparison and all I really need it for is a couple of small die grinders for reaching tight places that the other grinders won't get to.

175 psi at 14 CFM, 5 horse 220v AC motor, 2 stage cast iron compressor and a 60 gallon vertical tank makes me wonder why I didn't do it years ago.

Reactions: Chris and bostontj
I hear you mrblaine- I should have had my head examined when I ran another 120v circuit into the garage while I had the ceiling open with 240V 15' away. Currently I have 2 120V compressors feeding the same air line to run my air hungry die grinder:( The 240V would have also been handy for a bigger welder- I am stuck using my big Miller gas powered stick rig for high amp welds.

Reactions: Chris
This thread is perfect timing. I've been wondering about the quality of cordless impact tools.

Side note: In another life I worked for an airline and we had to purchase our own tools. When the tool trucks showed up at the jet base, it was like the Ice Cream truck showed up with free samples... just put it on account - $25 out of the paycheck (for some, that was probably until retirement).

Have to look in to the 18v Milwaukee

A conversion that is popular for those that love air tools is to (if set up) to use a junk yard air conditioner and use it as an air compressor and then a storage tank as an air tank. I have seen this done a few times and I thought it was perfect. the cordless tools are awesome but get rather pricey for a descent tool. These are just my opinions.

I was fortunate when I restored my jeep. A buddy of mine let me use shop space at his body shop. The deal was; I take it apart, he painted and I put it back together. Not only did I get the space, but used his Snap-on arsenal of air tools... If i had the $$$$ I would invest in all air... It was incredible. He also had a good selection of Snap-On battery operated tools as well...

A conversion that is popular for those that love air tools is to (if set up) to use a junk yard air conditioner and use it as an air compressor and then a storage tank as an air tank. I have seen this done a few times and I thought it was perfect. the cordless tools are awesome but get rather pricey for a descent tool.
I installed a York F210 a/c compressor and 2.5 gallon air tank into my previous TJ for use as an onboard air system to refill tires, it also powered my air tools without a problem. I have a big shop compressor in my garage too and my air tools run equally well on either.

Last edited:
Gotta add my $.02 ... in favor of the Milwaukee M18 fuel. I have (2) 3/8" drill/drivers and they have been dead dependable, including building a shed roof carport in the pouring rain for 4 days straight. And then when I bought the TJ, I took a chance and bought the 1/2" impact wrench. That thing is the best tool I've ever bought! 2 comments on it: 1) it's heavy! 2) I didn't buy the large capacity batteries - I just use the standard batteries and chargers that came with my 3/8" drivers and it has yet to go through one charge on any job I've used it for. Very impressive!

I used to have Dewalt, and their early drill/drivers were pretty good and served me well. But as stated above their quality went out the window...

Impact tools... The most important thing is to always use IMPACT sockets ONLY. Both for safety and performance.

Cordless doubles the expense of any tool and while there are excellent cordless impacts out there if you have a 120V plug within 50 feet of where you are working a good corded impact or heavy duty drill or grinder will always blow away the cordless alternatives. And talking GOOD, QUALITY, HEAVY DUTY... Corded is likely 1/4 the price of cordless. But if you have the budget, the best HD Cordless are pretty close to the corded alternates. If you want to save bucks, Do Not buy a cheap cordless. Buy the best corded instead.

Every manufacturer has ups and downs. Currently Milwaukie Tools are amongst the best. Makita is and has been good for years... maybe more consistent on the quality thing than anyone else.

I have the full line of Milwaukie M11, 12Volt tools and use them daily for work but my job entails very little "heavy duty" work. I also have a corded Makita 16" cutoff saw, Makitas HD 1/2", low speed drill... It must be 30 years old and Makita still makes it. And a couple of Makita Grinders, a 4.5"... best all around size, and a 7"... overkill, awkward, heavy, but great if you have a lot of welding to clean up or cut.

What is your take on Bosch? I've always felt that Bosch was #2 and Milwaukee was #1. I'm not sure Where Makita and Ridgid stand in the list.

My Bosch Cordless set has treated me very well through my small tenure as an HVAC apprentice; using my impact drill daily, my recip saw almost daily, and my cordless drill/hammer drill occasionally.

However, I cannot help but be impressed by milwaukees tools. They seem to be better constructed than my Bosch's. Albeit, milwaukees are more expensive, so that makes sense.

Cordless doubles the expense of any tool and while there are excellent cordless impacts out there if you have a 120V plug within 50 feet of where you are working a good corded impact or heavy duty drill or grinder will always blow away the cordless alternatives.

I've since added some more Milwaukee M18 Fuel Cordless tools. One of them is the M18 Fuel Sawzall and it is an absolute beast of a tool. It easily blows their corded version away and I had both with the same blade at the same time cutting pallets apart for kindling. The comparison is very similar to a TJ with a 2.5 liter on 35's and a Supercharged 4.0 on stock tires. It is just a brute that doesn't care what you put under the blade. We were extending the frame on Matt's TJ and with a Diablo carbide tipped blade, it cut through the frame top to bottom in about 45 seconds.

I have the full line of Milwaukie M11, 12Volt tools and use them daily for work but my job entails very little "heavy duty" work. I also have a corded Makita 16" cutoff saw, Makitas HD 1/2", low speed drill... It must be 30 years old and Makita still makes it. And a couple of Makita Grinders, a 4.5"... best all around size, and a 7"... overkill, awkward, heavy, but great if you have a lot of welding to clean up or cut.

I just gave away my 18v Makita 4 1/2" grinder. I did so because I got the Milwaukee 4 1/2-5" grinder and again, it is almost equal to the Milwaukee corded 5" grinders I have. The battery life of the 5.0ah batteries is pretty darn good and the new 9.0ah High Demand versions are phenomenal. We did a test on some over torqued lug nuts. The 18v Fuel 3/8" impact wouldn't take them off with a fully charged 5.0ah battery. We grabbed one of the 9.0's and tried it and the extra power it delivered zipped them all off with no problem. Not sure how they do it but it is an obvious difference in power.

My 18V Fuel collection is growing steadily and I've yet to be disappointed by any of them. So much so that I'm considering giving my neighbor my 12 volt Milwaukee stuff.

I only have one complaint and I'm sure it is my fault. Kat bought me a heated hoodie for Christmas and I quickly discovered it isn't water proof. The heating part was, it just doesn't keep the rain out.