prepping for rock sliders

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
were working on the 97 tj and took off the plastic steps and the plastic splash/rock guard between the step and the front fender flair. the mounting holes for the splash guard have a insert in them ( 3 of them im sure from the factory). so how are you supposed to get those inserts out so it will be smooth enough to get the rock sliders on.??

well they spin inside the whole i might could get a pair of vice grips on them. i might could grind them but then id take that chance of touching the jeep and that would take the paint off .might could use a chisel on the flair of the insert.

another question i haveis about this bumper , i dont think its a good bumper because the reciever is not attatched to the frame right? another words its not a classe ( ) bumper . is that right
tube bumper.jpg

Reactions: 2002apextj
another question i haveis about this bumper , i dont think its a good bumper because the reciever is not attatched to the frame right? another words its not a classe ( ) bumper . is that right
View attachment 13980

I had this bumper and it's definitely not rated for towing period. Just got rid of it and picked up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CF5ED0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
A lot of people give smittybilt crap but you can't go wrong with 1/4" steel with frame tie-in. D-rings are welded through and solid definitely wish I'd have gone with this one from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
hey yall I know a rock slider bolts to the side of the rock panel of the jeep. but must it also attach to the body/fame mounts under the jeep or is it ok just to attach to the under side of the rock panel where there are holes for bolts i guess.

Better if they don't use the body mounts. I have rock hard sliders and am fairly happy with them, but I haven't really put them to use yet (IE: i haven't banged them on rocks). If I had more money I would go with Savvy sliders as they have unparalleled mounting.

Better if they don't use the body mounts. I have rock hard sliders and am fairly happy with them, but I haven't really put them to use yet (IE: i haven't banged them on rocks). If I had more money I would go with Savvy sliders as they have unparalleled mounting.
in looking at a few pictures of the Savvy its hard to tell how they mount under the jeep but looks like they attach to the body/frame bolts??????

The 3/16" rocker sliders I have bolt to the rocker panel and the torque box underneath the floor, with a reinforcement plate sandwiched on the inside of the rocker panel.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Concerning the thread inserts on the body; I'm about to install some and plan to use a Dremel with a cutting tool on the part that sticks out, if that doesn't work, I plan to grind them smooth with the same tool. All I have to do is get them flat. The type of guards I have will mount best flush with the body.

Mine have a strange insert that puts a bolt in the stock holes on the tub. We'll see if they work. I may add some type of frame mounted in addition, but I may not.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee