Prepping to install Exogate and need to drill out a few bolts

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ordered an Exogate and figured I would see what I am facing as far as seized/painted in bolts on the tailgate.

The two tub-side lower hinge bolts are stuck and though I tried heating them I eventually stripped them. I'll need to drill them out before I can install the Exogate.

First time drilling out a screw... I am assuming I want to use a bit just larger than the shank of the screw and drill it our until the head pops off. That should leave me the shank of the screw still in the tub which a pair of vice grips could extract? Any suggestions as to best practice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, that's it! I also had two that stripped out. Once the screw head was gone and the hinge removed, the bolt shanks were easily turned by hand. Seems its the heads that get stuck in the hinges countersunk holes.

The bolts are installed before the tub is painted so the twenty-something-year-old paint needs to be broken.

All the others I have to work with, popped with just a little heat, but these two were the problem children.

The tub side has a threaded insert that you can reach up and pull out.
tailgate005.jpg

I used a 3/8” drill on the stubborn bolts until the heads popped off . What was left came out very easy with a small pair of vice-grips

Reactions: MikekiM and P man
I used a 3/8” drill on the stubborn bolts until the heads popped off . What was left came out very easy with a small pair of vice-grips
This is exactly correct don't overthink this..the head is usually the problem not the actual threads of the screw. The head is under tension and once that is removed I can sometimes remove the left overs with my fingers

Drilling out the head isn't that big of a deal, but I suppose an extractor bit could be a good interim step.
Don't use an extractor. I learned that lesson when it broke off inside the bolt. Then I spend a couple of hours trying to drill out around the bolt.

Don't use an extractor. I learned that lesson when it broke off inside the bolt. Then I spend a couple of hours trying to drill out around the bolt.
I've been there before... my go to to dealing with broken bolts is a dremel with a diamond bit. It's by far the fastest and most reliable method I've ever used.

Reactions: MikekiM
For the sake of closure..

No extractor was needed. Simply drilled out the heads of the offending bolts and once the hinges were off the remains of the bolts backed right out. Far easier than anticipated