Pro and cons of owning a TJ?

Yeah I think it would be a great learning experience. My first Jeep I don’t care to have a little bit of a project. As long as I don’t have to work on it more than I can drive it.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I was just wondering what some of the pros and cons are of having a 97 SE 2.5 soft top?
I love my 97 2.5 SE, 3.73 auto with 160k- it runs like a brand new jeep (thanks to the forum and my natural mechanic ability) :) this 2.5 is my dd - I use it every week on my service route for my pool customers. This screaming little 2.5 runs so good, I'm lookin for some 4.0s to drag race ...lol

I love my 97 2.5 DR, 3.73 auto with 160k- it runs like a brand new jeep (thanks to the forum and my natural mechanic ability) :) this 2.5 is my dd - I use it every week on my service route for my pool customers. This screaming little 2.5 runs so good, I'm lookin for some 4.0s to drag race ...lol
I won’t be doing any drag racing in mine just a fun toy weekends and summers and when we get snow/ice in the winter

Reactions: KCsTJ
"What do you mean about the size? Good and bad please"

It's small size makes it very maneuverable but it's small size means it can't haul a lot of gear.

"What do you mean about the size? Good and bad please"

It's small size makes it very maneuverable but it's small size means it can't haul a lot of gear.
Oh I wasn’t sure what you were getting at exactly. But hauling gear shouldnt be a problem for because it would only be me most of the time sometimes my girlfriend but I’m not to worried about the space

If you are OK with a primitive, visceral driving experience in a vehicle that can't do anything well that is expected of normal car or truck, then welcome to the club. Jeeps are awful . Yet somehow a few of us think they are one of the best vehicles we could ever have.

Last edited:
When I bought my 97SE I had no idea what I was getting into. I picked it partially because the Jeep was the only vehicle that came standard as a convertible. I took it off road once and quickly realized how fun it could really be.

As for power, don't worry about it. The 2.5 does fine 90% of the time. Sure it will take a little longer to get up to speed, and people may pass you like you're standing still going up mountain passes, but your vehicle is still more fun than theirs so you learn to not worry about it. It'll get you there in the end.

Size, mileage, etc - let's face it, it's not a very practical vehicle. But you don't always want 'practical'. I have another vehicle for that. The TJ is just for pure enjoyment.

Reactions: cliffish
I was just wondering what some of the pros and cons are of having a 97 SE 2.5 soft top?

Really depends on how you plan to use it.

Pro: Great size for off road, plenty of aftermarket, plenty of other TJ owners, well vetted, generally reliable, tough engines, blast to drive with top off, pretty easy to work on, everybody seems to love a Jeep

Con: Small backseat for passengers, extremely limited cargo space, can be troublesome, some parts becoming harder to find, can be an expensive hobby/toy, not the best commuter

Reactions: Kiwi TJ