Project Basketcase!

Doesn't sound like he'll be upgrading anytime soon. At least I hope he knows what he has.

He definitely has a soft spot for it. Otherwise it wouldn't be in a garage with a classic bronco and a newer cobra mustang. His kids could care less about it though,so i want to put the bug in his ear that I'd love to have it.

Reactions: DavidBT and Wildman
I finally finished a bumper project thats been waiting a while to happen.

Got this cheap 3/16" bumper for 100$ and shortened both ends by 5"
20240602_121836.jpg

It bugged me how far the shackle points stuck out so i torched them off and rewelded them in from both sides of the bumper.
20240605_121946.jpg

They aren't trimmed up equally yet in the pic. I added 4" shear stock to the back of the bumper as a winch mount and a couple ears so the swaybar would be level.also welded 1" angle stock to the underneath to combat the winch deck warping i had before.No pics of that

And because nothing gets to go smoothly i got to lay on my back with hot metal shavings burning me while i got this snapped bumper bolt out of the bottom of the frame. One of the last gifts from the previous owner. Including a metric bolt in the bumper that thankfully didn't mess up the nutsert enough to be unuseable.
20240602_121900.jpg

Here's the old 1/8" bumper that kept warping when I'd make heavy pulls
20240602_121846.jpg

And the new bumper that matches my smittybilt style rear bumper

20240614_101527.jpg

Last edited:
So instead of going to a party with live music and bbq celebrating us building another fire dept substation with room for 4 engines I'm stuck at home sick as a dog with dang covid.

But what the heck I'm bored too so i might as well install a really nice quality roll bar padding set i got from @mjtjnj. Should save some bumped noggins and makes the interior look finished in my opinion
20240615_131950.jpg

Also got my knock off grab bars in. I had to trim the a pillar plastic to fit them as shown
20240615_132003.jpg

Man the rust really pops in my cameras filters. I swear its a california jeep! Lol

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
While i had the seatbelts off to install the padding i went ahead and took the black covers off the side and gently removed the ball bearing and retainer to clean the mud out. Worked the mechanisms at different angles while tapping to get dirt and debris out. A little compressed air helped too.
20240615_125621.jpg

20240615_130752.jpg

The seat belt locking mechanisms had a hair trigger resulting in needing to pull multiple times to get enough length to latch them.and occasionally they would tighten on us while offroading or just going down the highway. Fixed for now!