Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Hey TJers,

While some important lessons were learned, this has to be one of the most gratifying moments of my build on my diesel swap TJ Wrangler. Hearing Wrangler "running" again after not running for 18 months has been just awesome!

While there is still a ton of work to do before it's on the road and driving, just getting my head wrapped around how the factory wiring works and being able to bypass the ASD, Automatic Shut Down relay, has really helped move the build forward.

Massive thank you to @ABQWrangler for helping me figure out how to get the fuel pump relay to work with out the ASD relay!

Next up I need to build an exhaust system for the Kubota V2403!

Thanks
Grant

You going with stacks for the exhaust?

I still haven't done my exhaust on my swap. I've got everything, but I'm just waiting for warranty to be up so I can remove the engine leeches.

What muffler are you going with? I hear a lot about Banks I think. Part of me wants to go straight pipe, but the way I'm adjusting my exhaust it could be too loud. In its current configuration it's not very loud, but with basic reliability and economy mods, it may be too loud.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Nice job, congrats!!!!!

Thank you so much!

You going with stacks for the exhaust?

I still haven't done my exhaust on my swap. I've got everything, but I'm just waiting for warranty to be up so I can remove the engine leeches.

What muffler are you going with? I hear a lot about Banks I think. Part of me wants to go straight pipe, but the way I'm adjusting my exhaust it could be too loud. In its current configuration it's not very loud, but with basic reliability and economy mods, it may be too loud.

As cool as stacks would be, I just can't see myself cutting the hood and doing that to my TJ! I actually bought a bunch of 2.25" exhaust piping off of Amazon along with a Thrust Turbo Muffler, a diesel catalytic converter and the rear exhaust pipe that goes over the rear axles so I don't have to fabricate that. Going to try putting together an exhaust system myself because I want to keep it all tucked above the bottom of the frame, I'm going for maximum ground clearance on this entire build!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I'm with you on ground clearance, that's another reason I decided to move the DOC in my build. Currently the DOC puts that exhaust out below my factory skid plate. Ultimately I want my skid plate pretty much flat to bottom of the frame and that extra loop of exhaust just seems useless to me.

Of course I'm going to probably just take the Jeep to an exhaust shop. They've got the benders and stuff. If it's too loud I'll just cut the exhaust and add an inline muffler.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I'm with you on ground clearance, that's another reason I decided to move the DOC in my build. Currently the DOC puts that exhaust out below my factory skid plate. Ultimately I want my skid plate pretty much flat to bottom of the frame and that extra loop of exhaust just seems useless to me.

Of course I'm going to probably just take the Jeep to an exhaust shop. They've got the benders and stuff. If it's too loud I'll just cut the exhaust and add an inline muffler.

Yeah time will tell if I end up making my own exhaust or end up throwing the towel in and just take it to an exhaust shop! I really want to get both our TJs on a trail at the same time to see how our two setups work! I think it would be neat to see the pros and cons of both!

-Grant

Please tell me the next video will be driving around the driveway 😂 What’s your to do list before a test drive?

I really need to install an exhaust system on it next, after that I just need to do a bunch of small stuff and then I theoretically could be driving it around my property. Just off the top of my head, I would need to finish mounting the dipstick tube for the AW4 automatic, put fluids in the doubler and transfer case, install the electric vacuum pump for the brakes and just make sure all the hoses and wiring aren't going to hit anything spinning or hot!

-Grant

Hey TJers,

With the Kubota V2403 Turbo Diesel engine running in my Right Hand Drive TJ Wrangler it was time to fabricate an exhaust system so I could run the engine for longer than a few seconds!

The entire process took a little over 6 hours from start to finish, but I took my time checking to see where I wanted all the bends to go on the exhaust so I would have plenty of clearance between all the driveline components and the frame as well.

Let me know what you think of the progress, I'm getting very close to trying to drive my diesel swap TJ Wrangler for the first time!

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

While some important lessons were learned, this has to be one of the most gratifying moments of my build on my diesel swap TJ Wrangler. Hearing Wrangler "running" again after not running for 18 months has been just awesome!

While there is still a ton of work to do before it's on the road and driving, just getting my head wrapped around how the factory wiring works and being able to bypass the ASD, Automatic Shut Down relay, has really helped move the build forward.

Massive thank you to @ABQWrangler for helping me figure out how to get the fuel pump relay to work with out the ASD relay!

Next up I need to build an exhaust system for the Kubota V2403!

Thanks
Grant

Aaaawesome Grant
Congrats !!!

- Our Wrangler has been parked for 5 months now, without being touched
- I’m 5 weeks past my hip joint replacement that caused the delay in our LJ-CUMMINS - project
-If my rehab keeps going as well as it does, I’ll be “wrenching “ in another 5 weeks from now 😊

-•|||||•-👋🏿

Aaaawesome Grant
Congrats !!!

- Our Wrangler has been parked for 5 months now, without being touched
- I’m 5 weeks past my hip joint replacement that caused the delay in our LJ-CUMMINS - project
-If my rehab keeps going as well as it does, I’ll be “wrenching “ in another 5 weeks from now 😊

-•|||||•-👋🏿

Thank you so much and I wish you a speedy recovery so you can work on your LJ-CUMMINS project! That is going to be an awesome one to watch!

-Grant

Hey TJers,

It's been 510 days since I last drove my RHD TJ Wrangler. In that time I began to wonder if I did the right thing, if what I was trying to build would even work. Will I still have the same feeling of excitement when I get behind the wheel?

However driving my RHD TJ Wrangler around my property again for the first time in 510 days but with a diesel engine powering it is one the greatest feeling ever!

-Grant

I saw this in my subscription tab on youtube. I just finished the update.

CONGRATULATIONS Grant!!!!!! I can't even imagine the high driving around the yard must have given you.

Thank you so much @Alex01! I really did have to force myself to drive it back into the shop! If I had installed the water temp and oil pressure gauge, I would have crawled underneath the Wrangler and put the transfer case in 4-Hi and gone on the trails behind my house! It was SO tempting to do but without knowing what the temps and oil pressures were I didn't want to risk it!

-Grant