Project Pony Boy

hamrickac

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So a brief introduction. Gold ‘99 Wrangler 2.5 5 speed. I purchased this Jeep around 6 years ago and shortly after purchased a jku. The tj has sat around until around a year ago when I traded the jku in on a car (needed something more family oriented) and decided I’d pick back up on my tj project. Since then I’ve been slowly working on building the tj.

-List of currently done mods/upgrades
-2.5 budget boost (installed before I got it)
-275/65r18 fuel gripper a/t tires
-18” mayhem wheels
-Vijay Front bumper
-Gladiator grill
-Led headlights
-Poison spider hood louver
-30” light bar on hood
-Robbed mirrors of newer model tj to solve mirror flutter and tilt issues
-Robbed full center console out of newer model instead of half console
-Installed rocker panel 6 switches, usb, 9v plug in, and voltmeter.
-Red leds in cluster
-Led strip in footwell, led bulbs in soundbar and footwell lamp
-Sony mex-100bt head unit, infinity kappa 6.5 in soundbar, Rockville 10” powered subwoofer attached to underside of back seat.
-Vijay rear bumper
-Taraflex spare tire extension
-3rd brake light inside spare
-Warrior license plate bracket
-4”round brake lights
-1” round reverse lights

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head, but I’m sure there’s more.

Current projects

-3 gallons of tintable raptor liner ordered (painting entire exterior gold raptor liner)

-Bushwacker flat flares ordered

Immediate future projects

-4-5” lift (the factory springs are sagging bad under the weight on the Jeep)

-Rock sliders

-5.25 matching speakers in dash

-v8 swap when either the motor quits or I can’t handle the sluggishness

If anyone would like more pictures or information just let me know and I’ll be happy to share

A few questions just while I’m thinking about it.

Frame mounted vs body mounted rock sliders. What do people prefer? I see a downside to both (body mounted don’t seem like they would hold up as well and frame mounted seem like they’d cause clearance issues.

How do people feel about the zone 4.25 lift and will the springs sag? (33’s are as big as I plan on running) would I be better off getting an adjustable track bar?

What are the best control arms for my application (90% street and trail riding on the weekends)

I’m sure I’ll have more questions along the way but that’s just immediate stuff

Ran out and did some quick measurements on the suspension today and my suspicions were correct. The 20 year old factory springs are really struggling to hold the weight I’ve been throwing at them. Even with a 3”bb in the front and 2.5” bb in the rear it’s sitting almost at factory height again (correct me if I’m wrong but the front should be 12” loaded and rear should be 8” loaded.) the front measured at 10” with a 3” puck and the rear measured at 6” with a 2” puck.

As soon as the paint arrives and it comes out of the shop I’ll be swapping the puck lift for springs and body lift.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Cool Jeep. I’m interested to hear any advice you have after you paint the raptoliner. I’m doing a frame off resto and plan to do raptoliner (maybe in a couple of months).

Reactions: hamrickac
Cool Jeep. I’m interested to hear any advice you have after you paint the raptoliner. I’m doing a frame off resto and plan to do raptoliner (maybe in a couple of months).
Unfortunately the raptorliner won’t be done by me. I have a friend that owns a paint shop and had done several raptor liner jobs. He offered to do it for me (along with repair all the little dents and dings that it’s aquired over the years for $300 and I couldn’t turn down that price. If you have any questions feel free to ask though. I’m sure I could relay the message

Reactions: TJ Starting
Looks great. I actually like the slight contrast between the tub and the top. Is the interior painted as well?

Looks great. I actually like the slight contrast between the tub and the top. Is the interior painted as well?
No. I’m opting to keep the interior carpeted. I had a yj that I had bed lined the interior on and wasn’t a fan of how loud it made the cab (that carpet adds a lot of sound Deadening and temperature control) I also plan on adding a layer of sound deadener under the carpet later.

Thx. For the sake of simplicity, I’m planning to paint the entire tub with raptoliner. Is there any reason I couldn’t put carpet over it if I don’t like the noise or heat?

Thx. For the sake of simplicity, I’m planning to paint the entire tub with raptoliner. Is there any reason I couldn’t put carpet over it if I don’t like the noise or heat?
I couldn’t imagine why you wouldn’t be able to. I know a lot of guys that have done it and love it. It all just boils down to personal preference.

A couple pictures and list of things ordered.

Black rampage premium sailcloth soft top and uppers (A lot of mixed reviews on the rampage soft top, but I’ve had mine for 6 years and love how tight and quiet it is and has stood up to my abuse other than one small hole that was my fault)

New round taillights

Flasher relay for leds

Door inserts that the uppers slide into (I was missing one and just ordered all to take any slack out)

And rugged ridge dash tray with phone holder

I know it’s all little stuff, but in the end that’s what makes it right.

D1033CAF-761F-4ACB-9747-7F7634D49A25.jpeg

65472D8E-91AF-4948-9E78-D5AA3BAA1B19.jpeg

Please excuse the mess that is my garage. I’ve been doing some work to the father in laws samurai and it’s been a mess.

Slight change in plans though. With the flat fenders giving me much more clearance I’m holding off on the lift and working on electric lockers and regear (possibly super 35 kit)

Eaton e-locks front and rear
Revolution either 4.88 or 5.13 (still a little undecided on ratio but leaning towards 5.13)
I’ve been looking at revolutions super35 kit and wondering if anyone had any input. I’m probably going to post something in general discussion also.

https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit