Project Road Salt - A Michigan Jeep Build

I'm torn on blocking the holes. My opinion has always been to allow for free air movement vs trying to block anything from getting in. On one hand, you allow dirt, water, etc into the frame...but as long as it can dry, its not a huge issue. The other way...you block that stuff from getting in, but it might get in anyway. Leaves a false sense of security I guess. I know my frame is open to garbage, so at least once a year and after every wheeling trip, I get in there and clean the frame out.

I drilled 1/4" drain holes on each low point of the frame, so every few months I plan on popping the plugs out, wash out the inside, let it dry, re-apply fluid film, and reinstall plugs. It may be overkill but I don't want to go through what I did again.

Reactions: Mike_H and Squatch
I do not like how my teraflex engine skids mount to the engine block. So I just ordered up a UCF aluminum skid plate. with a good covid 19 discount right now (almost $70 off)
1592233300828.png

Reactions: Squatch
Great job salvaging the frame. The welding looks perfect. I had a similar issue and found a donor frame in Indiana.

Word of advice - don't ask this group for name suggestions. Maybe it's already too late.

• Haha
Reactions: jhetcel23TJ
Great job salvaging the frame. The welding looks perfect. I had a similar issue and found a donor frame in Indiana.

Word of advice - don't ask this group for name suggestions. Maybe it's already too late.

Not too late... still no name. Some day something will stand out.

Name suggestions?

I had mentioned earlier in the thread for coming up with a name that was rust related.

Good job saving it. In the weeks ahead the '00 I recently acquired will be given similar treatment. 🍻

wow what a great save! Hopefully you've breathed many more years into that TJ. As I was scrolling through I thought that picture of the frame pummeler looked familiar then realized it was mine :ROFLMAO:, works great ehh?

You'll love that UCF skid too, I've beaten the living crap out of mine over the past few years, it's got some deep gouges in it but is otherwise in perfect condition. One tip though, if you're bolting it to the stock skid the oil drain hole doesn't work as well as it would if you also had the UCF transfer case skid so you will make one big ass mess every time you change the oil unless you remove the skid. Personally I opt to make the mess because I'm lazy like that. One other thing, last weekend I was changing my transmission oil & for that you have no choice but to remove the engine skid & its attached to the stock tc skid with button head cap screws which I unwittingly stripped last time I removed them, that was a bitch getting them out. They're short & there wasn't much of the screw protruding through the top of the hex nuts, just enough to grab with vice grips so I could then get the nuts moving. To solve the problem I replaced them with longer screws to make the future scenario easier to deal with.

Reactions: jhetcel23TJ
wow what a great save! Hopefully you've breathed many more years into that TJ. As I was scrolling through I thought that picture of the frame pummeler looked familiar then realized it was mine :ROFLMAO:, works great ehh?

Yes, it worked great! Genius idea.

You'll love that UCF skid too, I've beaten the living crap out of mine over the past few years, it's got some deep gouges in it but is otherwise in perfect condition. One tip though, if you're bolting it to the stock skid the oil drain hole doesn't work as well as it would if you also had the UCF transfer case skid so you will make one big ass mess every time you change the oil unless you remove the skid. Personally I opt to make the mess because I'm lazy like that. One other thing, last weekend I was changing my transmission oil & for that you have no choice but to remove the engine skid & its attached to the stock tc skid with button head cap screws which I unwittingly stripped last time I removed them, that was a bitch getting them out. They're short & there wasn't much of the screw protruding through the top of the hex nuts, just enough to grab with vice grips so I could then get the nuts moving. To solve the problem I replaced them with longer screws to make the future scenario easier to deal with.

Glad to hear it is holding up. Good to know on the oil drain hole. I'll be bolting up to a teraflex skid plate, I have no idea if the holes will even line up.

Small world. I'm also in Whitehall. I'm tackling a 97 with some serious rot. Picked it up a little over a week ago with and for our granddaughter (she paid half.....big deal to her). Knew it was a project when we bought it. I'm going to farm out the bulk of the rust eradication. I don't own a plasma cutter, and not sure I want to invest that kind of time or energy in this. I actually enjoy the wrench-turning, and teaching her, but the metal work is someone else's.

Maybe I'll see you around, mhetcel. I'm just off Michillinda.