Pros & Cons of Wheel Adapters?

I'm running them in the front because my front Dana 44 is TJ width and rear is JK width. I'm running 37's, so run a TJ to JK adapter to allow me to run JK wheels. They also are a spacer to give me more clearance.

They are fine to run, but I would only run them to fix a problem. I wouldn't run them because someone gave me free wheels. Up to you if it's worth it.
I'm about to be in the same situation axle wise. What width tire and what backspace/adapter with did you go with? Any clearance issues with that setup? I'm trying to stay pretty narrow without creating clearance issues and don't care if I'm a bit wider in the rear.

I'm about to be in the same situation axle wise. What width tire and what backspace/adapter with did you go with? Any clearance issues with that setup? I'm trying to stay pretty narrow without creating clearance issues and don't care if I'm a bit wider in the rear.

12.5" tire. I do have some clearance issues. I kept losing my bead on the front passenger side. Probably partially because I had shitty wheels, just replaced with beadlocks. Also get some rubbing if I turn the wheel to full lock, but not too bad. Just have to back off a bit. Pretty sure the wheel adapter is 1.25".

TJ width just isn't wide enough for a 37". I like to replace the front with a JK width axle eventually.

Last edited:
12.5" tire. I do have some clearance issues. I kept losing my bead on the front passenger side. Probably partially because I had shitty wheels, just replaced with beadlocks. Also get some rubbing if I turn the wheel to full lock, but not too bad. Just have to back off a bit. Pretty sure the wheel adapter is 1.5".

TJ width just isn't wide enough for a 37". I like to replace the front with a JK width axle eventually.
I'm going to stick with 35's and probably an 11.5". What was the backspace of your wheel? Stock Jk take off or aftermarket?

I'm going to stick with 35's and probably an 11.5". What was the backspace of your wheel? Stock Jk take off or aftermarket?

You should still be fine with a 12.5" tire with 35's. My wheels were 17x8.5 with 5.0in backspace. Pretty sure the adapters were 1.25" now that I think about it. Because the goal with those wheels was 3.75".

Reactions: fixmysix
You'll need a lift to go with the adapters.
What size adapters would be needed? I recently purchased a 2005 TJ rubicon and it has rubicon rims off a new jeep JL rubicon 33”. They have an adapter plate but when you cut the wheel hard all the way the tire runs. I was told it might have a 1.25 inch adapter on it. Does anyone have a link to one that would work?