PSC Gearbox Install

Correct, this IS an oem safety feature directly related to high speed front end collisions. It's designed to prevent the steering wheel and steering shaft from going thru the driver in a collision. By collapsing the 2 parts to its limits, you essentially remove this safety feature which now permits little to no collapsed movement.

All I'm saying is, just like no one wants to advise emissions defeat advice to prevent lawsuits, the same should be considered for collision safety features mandated on nearly all vehicles.
You aren't collapsing it to its limits.

I made the mistake of collapsing it to its limits. It was way too short and I wasn't able to pull it apart again. Don't make that mistake

Correct. And I'm thankful for your reassurance. But the TJ has little safety as it is. My luck runs like trash 😅😅. So I'd hate to defeat what little safety features I do have.
You are not defeating them. And yes, I well know why they are the way they are having a friend die when the steering column went through his sternum after a head on collision. There again though, that was a lot more prevalent before air bags. Nowadays, I'd be far more concerned about sun rotten seat belts than a slightly shorter steering shaft.

I completed "phase 1" of the PSC install. I had planned to just install the gearbox but had to install the reservoir as well because I didn't buy a '97-'02 return line and there was just no way to make the '04 line work. Overall it is a tight fit and took quite a bit of time getting things either removed or in the right place to fit.

I don't have a body lift and I guess that makes it easier. My Jeep's high enough now--I don't want it any higher. I ended up feeding the return line up behind the headlight and then back into the engine compartment. There are a few edges so I wrapped it in spiral wrap. While it took awhile, I'm pleased with the install overall.

I didn't install the hydraulic assist cylinder as I've got to fabricate at least one connecting point to the axle. Also, I wanted to keep it simple for a little while in case there were problems.View attachment 149421View attachment 149422View attachment 149423View attachment 149424

View attachment 149426
Just rapped up this kit and I'm not as good as you with tubing so I went to napa and picked up this return hose. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPS76389?impressionRank=1 I cut off the second bend and put about ten more degrees of bend into it then flared the end. My return line runs down then follows the psi hose back. You have all my respect in how you routed your return line. I tried I kinked the tubing twice so I throw the towel in.

Reactions: Grant Lasson