PSC pump howling again at higher RPMs

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
My pump on the 2.5 has progressively gotten worse over the last couple months. It is perfectly quiet until around 2800 rpm’s, then she sings the song. Called PSC, as usual I received outstanding service, new pump with a 5.5” pulley is on the way. Along with a couple quarts of fluid. Will see if the slightly larger pulley helps. Don’t think there are a lot of 2.5s running with PSC pumps but thought I would share for those with similar issues. Will update how the new pulley/pump combo performs.

Where did you mount your reservoir for the four popper?

E3569B38-A193-4144-BB7C-8B56533C129F.jpeg

3A7D71B4-9B79-4BEB-A6BB-0571BB7BA779.jpeg

50FC279E-840B-453B-98EE-4678C52F8FAA.jpeg

I do not see anything that stands out. Maybe @mrblaine has some better eyes for this one. I do see you are scared of the idea of running Push Lock without a clamp too?

Reactions: Gollywomper
I do not see anything that stands out. Maybe @mrblaine has some better eyes for this one. I do see you are scared of the idea of running Push Lock without a clamp too?

Ya. Lol. Figured better safe than sorry.
The inside of the hose on the feed line to the pump is very slightly flat on the inside of the bend. Will see if I can reroute it, but it is that way because I think it was the shortest route I could do with the angled fittings I had. Don’t think it is causing any issues though.

I’ve got a 99 2.5l with the same issue. I just received my 3rd high flow pump from PSC. First pump lasted about 15 months I installed it the hydro assist cylinder PSC big bore box and the PSC cooler January of 2021 and had to purchase a new pump come early spring the next year due to high rpm noise and power loss. The new one came with the 5.5” pulley and has been in the jeep since March of 2022. It started screaming on cold morning startups and at high rpm’s this winter. I started the warranty process immediately so I wouldn’t have to pay for yet another pump. This is the response I got from PSC support.

Thank you for contacting PSC!

We will send you a complimentary flush kit that includes 3 quarts of our NEW Super Blue Power Steering Fluid.

This NEW fluid features a 0W viscosity level and -40° low temperature capability.
This will help tremendously to prevent pump noise in cold weather environments.

Happy Holidays!

Got the pump and they sent a flush kit at no cost to me so that helps make up for the first pump going bad just out of warranty but the “new fluid” I received appears to just be the same stuff they have sent in the past. I’m still waiting on a reply to confirm I received the correct new fluid but I’ve come to the understanding that these pumps don’t handle cold thick power steering fluid very well.

Also I should note I originally had my reservoir mounted the same way you currently do and PSC strongly suggested eliminating the loop. I’ll get a picture of how it’s mounted now. Ended up ordering new feed line fittings to the pump and reservoir and moving the reservoir closer to the firewall to get a more direct path for the fluid to follow.

Do you have a cooler that you are running your return line through? And does your pump scream on cold startups as well or just during high rpm’s?

Reactions: psrivats
I’ve got a 99 2.5l with the same issue. I just received my 3rd high flow pump from PSC. First pump lasted about 15 months I installed it the hydro assist cylinder PSC big bore box and the PSC cooler January of 2021 and had to purchase a new pump come early spring the next year due to high rpm noise and power loss. The new one came with the 5.5” pulley and has been in the jeep since March of 2022. It started screaming on cold morning startups and at high rpm’s this winter. I started the warranty process immediately so I wouldn’t have to pay for yet another pump. This is the response I got from PSC support.

Thank you for contacting PSC!

We will send you a complimentary flush kit that includes 3 quarts of our NEW Super Blue Power Steering Fluid.

This NEW fluid features a 0W viscosity level and -40° low temperature capability.
This will help tremendously to prevent pump noise in cold weather environments.

Happy Holidays!

Got the pump and they sent a flush kit at no cost to me so that helps make up for the first pump going bad just out of warranty but the “new fluid” I received appears to just be the same stuff they have sent in the past. I’m still waiting on a reply to confirm I received the correct new fluid but I’ve come to the understanding that these pumps don’t handle cold thick power steering fluid very well.

Also I should note I originally had my reservoir mounted the same way you currently do and PSC strongly suggested eliminating the loop. I’ll get a picture of how it’s mounted now. Ended up ordering new feed line fittings to the pump and reservoir and moving the reservoir closer to the firewall to get a more direct path for the fluid to follow.

Do you have a cooler that you are running your return line through? And does your pump scream on cold startups as well or just during high rpm’s?

It is definitely louder when cold. But low temps are in the 40/50s here so I don’t think cold fluid is an issue. Yes I am running a cooler as well.
It sure what the answer is as my high rpm’s aren’t much over 4k which really isn’t very high. And that is not very often, only on hill climbs on the freeway.

Are you running 3/4” feed line and 1/2” return lines?

It is definitely louder when cold. But low temps are in the 40/50s here so I don’t think cold fluid is an issue. Yes I am running a cooler as well.
It sure what the answer is as my high rpm’s aren’t much over 4k which really isn’t very high. And that is not very often, only on hill climbs on the freeway.

Are you running 3/4” feed line and 1/2” return lines?

Feed line is 3/4” 8an connections with push locks. Return lines are all 3/8” 6an push locks as well. Sorry for the less than ideal pictures. Just took them in the parking lot at work under a light pole. It’s currently 37* here and was upper 40s most of the day. It started just fine without screaming but increasing rpm gave me a little screech while pulling up to the light pole.
I don’t really have noise after running for 10 or so min but always in the cold on startup and increasing rpm’s.
I agree with mrblaine on those fittings, those are definitely not helping with flow.

Also I’m an idiot, I didn't move the reservoir closer to the firewall. Looks like it’s in a similar location as yours.
F752BC95-CA26-454A-85B5-9FD7DA7D53CE.jpeg

B5C3E673-F913-4526-A5BF-B5B1AE991791.jpeg

I will play with the feed line a bit. I dont think it is starving the pump though. I will install the aluminum sweep push locks on my cooler and at the resi in the return line. Not sure where to go from here if it goes again. Was hoping the pulley would be the answer, but doesn’t sound promising. Thanks for the photos.

I will play with the feed line a bit. I dont think it is starving the pump though. I will install the aluminum sweep push locks on my cooler and at the resi in the return line. Not sure where to go from here if it goes again. Was hoping the pulley would be the answer, but doesn’t sound promising. Thanks for the photos.

Yea I’m not really sure what to do at this point either. PSC has said there shouldn’t be any issues with running these components on the 2.5l but having gone through 2 pumps already about to install a 3rd something has to be wrong.

Bent tube fittings throughout, no extra length on lines, get rid of the feed loop. It isn't a magic bullet solution, it is following sound principles and making it all work well so when there is a problem with something like a pump, you don't have to go through and try to figure out if the other things are contributing to the problem. You already know they aren't.

I will replace all the hydraulic fittings with the bent tube. I will see what I can do with the feed line. I thought a straight line there might be too “rigid” for engine movement. Just trying to ensure I have done everything to prevent this issue in the future.
Of course extreme care when bleeding the system as well.

I thought a straight line there might be too “rigid” for engine movement.
It is and engine movement will break or ruin the hose and or fittings. You would ideally like the reservoir forward or rearward of the pump inlet so the hose runs fore and aft a bit so it can flex that way. Even if you have to rotate the reservoir some, that works better than the loop.

Reactions: taylormade73