Public service info as to why you should flush your brake fluid

I'm learning here so please excuse the stupid questions. How does flushing the fluid get those chunks out?
It doesn't. It gets or can get the sludge out if you are pretty enthusiastic but not the chunks that were stuck to the bore wall that we had to chisel off with the screwdriver.
And just for reference, I flush my fluid almost every year. After seeing that though, I'm inclined to buy new calipers next time!
They are pretty easy to overhaul. I'm trying to get my head around a path forward as to what I recommend. I suspect I need to open up some more calipers to get a better idea of what that should be.

I get lots of calls from shops and a few owners who fully ignore our warnings to flush the brake fluid BEFORE you push the pistons in to install new pads. Across the board it is always the same, we never have to do that on other vehicles. While I do not know why that is the case, I do know that the TJ collects crap in the piston bore at a very prodigious rate. This is 3 year old or so fluid in a TJ that the owner takes reasonably good care of, it has reasonably low miles. Along with what you can see, there were also ridges of built up hardened crap at the end of the piston stuck to the side walls that would have trapped the piston hard and at least tried to ruin a set of new pads.

View attachment 420446

Would this be typical of new fluid in a 2 year old caliper, or do you think this is accumulated junk that's survived many years and flushes?