Pulling 6x12 U-Haul Trailer with TJ?

Hello I have to move coming up in February I normally would rent u haul moving truck and pull the jeep behind but that isn't an option this time as the cost is way too high for too afford. I was wondering if my TJ will have trouble towing the u haul 6 x 12 trailer 2040km (1268m). I have an upgraded brake kit to the powerstop heavy duty truck and tow brake kit 35 x12.50 tires. I did recent change all fluid and upgraded to sythentic 75 by 140 diff transfer and tranny fluid less than 500k ago. It's a 6 speed nsg370 trans think I'll be okay?
Brakes here https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-kit/

20181207_154315.jpg

The TJ is rated for 2,000, and the LJ is rated for 3,500.

3,300 lbs is a lot of weight behind a short vehicle like the TJ. Also, if you were to get into an accident and were found to be overweight, there's a very good chance that your insurance company will not cover you if they find out.

IMHO, a trailer that large and heavy empty would be a safety risk at best. Moving it across the parking lot fine, 1200 miles is an accident or breakdown waiting to happen. Short wheel base does not make for a good tow rig.

Unless you're moving out of Canada it looks like you're moving almost half way across it. There's a fairly good chance that in February you're going to encounter some bad trailering weather. Weather notwithstanding, has U-Haul given you the "OK" for using your rig and their trailer?

Weather notwithstanding, has U-Haul given you the "OK" for using your rig and their trailer?
That was going to be my question. I've encountered a number of times where they wouldn't rent to me because the car I was going to be hauling would put the load over the limit of my tow vehicle. So, there is the very real possibility that U-Haul wouldn't rent you a trailer of that size if you're using the TJ as a tow rig...

Reactions: PCO6
I agree, I think it would be a bad idea to haul it that far in the summer, throw in some bad weather, hills (up and down) black ice and traffic and your tempting fate.....
Have you looked into returning rental cars or trucks... sometime they need people to return their rentals back across the country...you just pay for the gas.

In this case two strikes and you're out.

Strike one is the 3300 lbs. and your TJ only being rated to tow 2,000 lbs.

Strike two is the biggest reason it's unsafe and the reason why your TJ is only rated to 2,000 lbs. while the Unlimited with the same engine and brakes is rated to 3500 lbs. And that is your TJ's short wheelbase... that is the true limiting factor and why, really, that trailer is simply too heavy for your TJ. Your TJ lacks sufficient wheelbase to be able to control that much weight. Straight ahead it'd be fine but the first time you had to hit the brakes hard on a curve in an unexpected or emergency maneuver, your TJ would swap ends and possibly roll.

Like this.... and that boat and trailer combination weighs less than 3300 lbs.

Towing accident.jpg

In this case two strikes and you're out.

Strike one is the 3300 lbs. and your TJ only being rated to tow 2,000 lbs.

Strike two is the biggest reason it's unsafe and the reason why your TJ is only rated to 2,000 lbs. while the Unlimited with the same engine and brakes is rated to 3500 lbs. And that is your TJ's short wheelbase... that is the true limiting factor and why, really, that trailer is simply too heavy for your TJ. Your TJ lacks sufficient wheelbase to be able to control that much weight. Straight ahead it'd be fine but the first time you had to hit the brakes hard on a curve in an unexpected or emergency maneuver, your TJ would swap ends and possibly roll.

Like this.... and that boat and trailer combination weighs less than 3300 lbs.

View attachment 71561

I regularly tow a couple of trailers with my LJ that weigh around 1,500 lbs. when fully loaded. In good weather I can't even tell that they're there. In bad weather I adjust my driving … "big time". I'm honestly surprised that LJ's are rated that much higher than TJ's (I have one and tow with it too) and I wouldn't go anywhere close to the maximum in my LJ in any weather.

seen this on the extreme terrain id be pulling around 3300lbs im not sure if i should trust it at all i wouldnt normally risk it at all i just dont have any other way to move my stuff.

View attachment 71455
You are getting advice off the internet.... lol

Look in yer OwnersManual, that will tell you what YOUR TJ can haul.

I did this for 1 block, to park it where a pickup could not fit. If you see this picture, would you tow this trailer cross country behind a TJ?

IMG_0889.jpeg

We all do things that are illegal for a short time, knowing, praying we don't get caught, but to go cross country, towing almost double what is legal is crazy.

Where in Canada do you live?

I agree, I think it would be a bad idea to haul it that far in the summer, throw in some bad weather, hills (up and down) black ice and traffic and your tempting fate.....

I absolutely love driving my Jeeps in bad weather and don't often hold back. It makes the winter and winter sports, exploring, etc. a LOT more fun. You're right though you have to know when you're tempting fate.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I absolutely love driving my Jeeps in bad weather and don't often hold back. It makes the winter and winter sports, exploring, etc. a LOT more fun. You're right though you have to know when you're tempting fate.
Yes the Wrangler is right at home in the winter...but not with an obese trailer :nono:

Last edited:
I'll have to take a picture. I tow 2000# daily, all weather. I put on 24K miles a year for work. The TJ, 4WD, midnight snow storm, unplowed highway, I love it. Never had a problem, but I never break the law either. it's not worth it, I do this for a living.

Should only take a few days to get some snow storm pics.

DSC_0072.jpg

Ya I wont be doing it I was looking into smaller trailer option over the night like a 5 x 10 maybe if I could find one that weighs around 1100. I'll probably try and find a decently cheap moving company as I dont want to put others at risk.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Ever been involved in an accident while towing an overloaded trailer? I have, and you just know I'm gonna share... ;)

I had an '87 Toyota 4Runner with a 2" lift and 31" tires. I was towing a stout little 5' X 6' trailer with steel sides, absolutely loaded with a V8 engine, transmissions, and a lot of various suspension stuff. I loaded it carefully (or so I thought), and drove it around locally to see how it behaved before hitting the highway for the one hour trek north to my storage facility.
On I-5, they were doing road construction, and the lanes were shifted over by about half a lane. This placed my trailer tires in a position where I'm now riding atop the crowns (unused center section of each lane). Well, before long, the trailer would drop in and out of the valleys of each lane, and I found myself in a "tail wagging the dog" situation. When you start having to saw the steering wheel, it's usually too late. I tried to accelerate out of it, but I was screwed. When the tires from the trailer started chirping with each swing, I knew what was coming...
The final swing of the trailer got the trailer tires to screaming. This combined with the sound my tow rig's tires were belting out. The front of the Toyota was now pointing West in the northbound lane of I-5, moving sideways at about 40 mph. I'm watching the guardrail sail past my front bumper, and then I hear the "bang" of the trailer hitch disengaging from the ball. The trailer is now towing me by the safety chains, and backwards, to boot. I'm facing oncoming traffic, which is dodging me to the best of their ability. I'm clutch-in, brake applied, one hand on the wheel, and one on the shift knob when it all finally comes to a halt. I was never more concerned than I was at that moment, waiting for that head-on collision that thankfully never happened.
State Patrol was there in minutes. Nice guy. Pointed out that I was obviously overloaded, to which I couldn't argue. I told him to go ahead and issue me a citation, as at that point, I was just glad that I hadn't taken someone out with my impromptu ballet on the road. He said he felt I'd suffered enough, looking at my upside-down trailer in the middle of I-5, and just asked if I thought I could get it off the road. I locked in the hubs, put it in 4-low, and drug it upside-down by the safety chains to the side of the road. A flatbed hauler was four cars back, so he loaded my trailer, and I was back home within an hour of my departure.
Point of the story? This is something you do not want to experience. Ever. Find a different way to make your journey. My little incident could very well have ended up much worse. I'd hate to be reading a post from you in February about how you went through something similar...
Respectfully,
Squatch

Last edited: