Pulling a camper with your Jeep Wrangler TJ

You pack too much, that's why tents aren't enjoyable. I've lived out of tents and tarps for over a year combined (6 weeks being the most consecutive before returning to base for several days to resupply before heading back out.). I've car camped across the east coast and back through Canada. Each time I bring less and less backups and extra things as I have become more aware of what I use and how I use it. Aside from food itself, I find that I live most comfortably out of a 20l pack. That's personal gear, tent (either my share, or a personal tent), and cook stove. Anything more and it's just frustrating to deal with which ends up holding me back.
We do and put up with lots of things when younger and/or in the military that we wouldn't put up with when we get older. I have paid my dues in tents and lived in them in the military for a year when I was deployed overseas. I did primitive tentless no fires backpacking when in my 20's and took long cross-country backpacking trips above 10-11,000' in the Sierras. We carried little food since we knew we could catch trout at the lakes we passed along the way. When you get older you likely will feel the same way as I do now.

You pack too much, that's why tents aren't enjoyable. I've lived out of tents and tarps for over a year combined (6 weeks being the most consecutive before returning to base for several days to resupply before heading back out.). I've car camped across the east coast and back through Canada. Each time I bring less and less backups and extra things as I have become more aware of what I use and how I use it. Aside from food itself, I find that I live most comfortably out of a 20l pack. That's personal gear, tent (either my share, or a personal tent), and cook stove. Anything more and it's just frustrating to deal with which ends up holding me back.

Chicken of the Sea and flash fried noodles kept me alive on many backpacking trips :). Anytime we camp with friends they bring wayyyyyy to much stuff.

That and freezing in a tent during the winter. I'm done with tents, that's why I bought the pop-up. I had 75+ nights in a tent just as a Boy Scout leader, plus all the nights camped out for Jeeping trips. My tent trailer is like the Taj Mahal compared to my previous tenting. :)

This is not a good memory of my earlier tent camping days lol.

View attachment 72349

I camped in a tent at a Jeep event during July in Louisiana, it was AWFUL!!!! woke up hot and sticky at 7am lol

We do and put up with lots of things when younger and/or in the military that we wouldn't put up with when we get older. I have paid my dues in tents and lived in them in the military for a year when I was deployed overseas. I did primitive tentless no fires backpacking when in my 20's and took long cross-country backpacking trips above 10-11,000' in the Sierras. When you get older you likely will feel the same way as I do now.

We'll see. At my current stage in life I am gravitating towards packing less.

IMG_0949.JPG

GOPR7614.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

190989_4348754031055_725491090_o.jpg

Reactions: Alex0413
Does yours have a polyurethane-like 5 gallon water container under the stove on the right side of the cabinet? If so have you found a good replacement for it? Mine developed a crack in the bottom of it which thus far has proven impossible to permanently fix. Fixes last maybe 6 months if I'm very gentle with the container. No adhesives will stick to it for more than a few months, not even an epoxy made especially for plastics. I did serious research on the type of material it's made from and there are no known adhesives/sealants that will stick to it permanently. I did manage to find a new replacement tank once but the guy wanted $200 for it, he knew what he had.
Have you tried The Rain Buster? It can be messy.

caulking.jpg

You pack too much, that's why tents aren't enjoyable.
Nope, I use a home built tear drop. My hatred of tents is setting up in the dark. Packing up in the rain. And at 60plus, I deserve a made double bed every night.

I pack real light, A couple of changes of clothes, shorts, swim trunks, fleece. And real stainless steel cutlery. Will soon be adding a solar panel, batteries and a real RV fridge. The only thing I want to make effortless now is refrigeration.

There is zero setup with this, park, open the door, roll in and sleep.
Rainy mornings, open the door, roll out, drive away.

DSC_0057.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and DuncLJ