Pulsating and Jerking Steering Wheel at Low Speeds

rhauseriii

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 and recently whenever I turn at slow speeds, under 10 mph, the steering wheel pulsates /jerks until the wheel is straight. I checked the power steering fluid level and its a little low, about a half inch from the "add" line on the dipstick when cold. Any Ideas what it could be?

Yes, unless 4 wheel drive us engaged, this does sound like a bad axle shaft u-joint. To confirm, jack the axle up till the wheels are off the ground then turn the steering wheel to one side or the other and spin the tires. The bad u-joint will bind as the wheel spins.

Thank you for all of you replies. It is definitely not in four wheel drive, I took out the front driveshaft because of a huge dent right in the center of it. Seems like the common answer is the front axel u-joints. I'll try the test that AjRagno suggested tomorrow. Thanks again.

If you have a bad u-joint replace both with the Spicer 5-760x. That's a direct replacement u-joint that that is both stronger and more durable than the Spicer 5-297 the factory installed. Spicer designed the 5-760x at Jeep's request for the Rubicon under development at the time.

Why would you replace both u joints if only one was bad? Don’t see the logic there. No need to shotgun parts on a simple diagnosis such as this. Just repair what is needed.
If you have a bad u-joint replace both with the Spicer 5-760x. That's a direct replacement u-joint that that is both stronger and more durable than the Spicer 5-297 the factory installed. Spicer designed the 5-760x at Jeep's request for the Rubicon under development at the time.

Why would you replace both u joints if only one was bad? Don’t see the logic there. No need to shotgun parts on a simple diagnosis such as this. Just repair what is needed.
Because if one axle shaft u-joint has gone bad the other with the same amount of wear on it is not far behind. Unless you're the type to replace one spark plug at a time too.

Do you replace tires one at a time?

Why would you not replace identical parts of an assembly in unison? Especially those that wear together.

That mindset is exactly what is wrong with most of these....this is why a TJ gets built in 2000, a tie rod end in 2009, a drag link in 2014 , 2 of 5 u joints in 2007, then some guy gets it and gets on here and cries it drives weird and has vibes.

I understand budget and time constraints, but if those aren’t an issue, you want to bring things back to a stage where you can expect a predictable lifespan and enjoy good performance.

What @Jerry Bransford suggests isn’t a shotgun approach, but a professional, thorough approach.

Various parts in different stages of wear will result in a less than stellar driving and ownership experience and an endless game of whack a mole as the next neglected part invariably rears its’ head at the least opportune time.

When you hear “as soon as I fix one thing, something else goes...” remember this. Everything doesn’t happen for a reason...rather there is a reason things happen.

Last edited:
Brave lad to float that rumination here. Might I suggest a subscription to AAA to go along with that notion?

So if one tie rod end is bad, replace them all? One lightbulb burns out, replace them all? If one seat is torn, replace them all? If the rear u joint on the rear driveshaft is bad, you should replace all the u joints? Wow, you guys sure like to spend others money foolishly. Fix what is broken or worn beyond its service limit and move on. Doubt you all practice what you preach. Sheesh!

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So if one tie rod end is bad, replace them all? One lightbulb burns out, replace them all? If one seat is torn, replace them all? If the rear u joint on the rear driveshaft is bad, you should replace all the u joints? Wow, you guys sure like to spend others money foolishly. Fix what is broken or worn beyond its service limit and move on. Doubt you all practice what you preach. Sheesh!
No, we don’t. And we don’t get other teeth but the cavity fixed. But we do wear matching shoes and put them on about the same time.

It is just recommending best practice for that application...every scenario varies.

I deal with it in my remodeling work...If we replace a shower valve we replace the old pipe in the wall if questionable...and don’t if its in great shape.

There is absolutely no possible way one completely defunct and the other is good for the same amount of time as the one going in will be.

It could be the case that one side was done prior...which actually proves your idea is sound...and so is Jerry’s.

Of course we are all guessing at the issue as we argue over the best approach....😁😁😁

Last edited:
No, we don’t. And we don’t get other teeth but the cavity fixed. But we do wear matching shoes and put them on about the same time.

It is just recommending best practice for that application...every scenario varies.

I deal with it in my remodeling work...If we replace a shower valve we replace the old pipe in the wall if questionable...and don’t if its in great shape.

There is absolutely no possible way one. Is completely defunct and the other is good for the same amount of time as the one going in will be.

It could be the case that one side was done prior...which actually proves your idea is sound...and so is Jerry’s.
Jerry sloppily paints with a wide brush. I like a little more detail. It appears you do too. Every scenario has its own issues. They must be evaluated case by case, and proceed accordingly. On my own machines, I usually go overboard on service. On customer rigs, I give facts on what the minimum repair should be, and if I recommend further repairs, I refer to them as smart add ons. I would never replace an upper ball joint without recommending to replace the lower ball joint regardless if it is in good condition or not. That to me is a smart add on.

Reactions: AndyG and PCO6

I'm going back decades here but to use your drive shaft example, when we told a customer that one of his u-joints was shot we always asked if he wanted both done. I'll say that 90% of the time they did rather than having to come back which probably would have been within the year. It saved them down time and the labour costs of a second re&re. Peace of mind was a factor too.

I don't like firing the "parts cannon" (cruiser54's term from another Jeep forum) at things but I like to get ahead of things when it makes sense.

Reactions: Mrhp
I'm going back decades here but to use your drive shaft example, when we told a customer that one of his u-joints was shot we always asked if he wanted both done. I'll say that 90% of the time they did rather than having to come back which probably would have been within the year. It saved them down time and the labour costs of a second re&re. Peace of mind was a factor too.

I don't like firing the "parts cannon" (cruiser54's term from another Jeep forum) at things but I like to get ahead of things when it makes sense.
I like the “Parts Cannon“ phrase!!

I like the “Parts Cannon“ phrase!!

Probably the best source for XJ technical information! He always provides quick and straight forward advice.

http://cruiser54.com/

cruiser54's Parts Cannon.jpg

Jerry sloppily paints with a wide brush. I like a little more detail. It appears you do too. Every scenario has its own issues. They must be evaluated case by case, and proceed accordingly. On my own machines, I usually go overboard on service. On customer rigs, I give facts on what the minimum repair should be, and if I recommend further repairs, I refer to them as smart add ons. I would never replace an upper ball joint without recommending to replace the lower ball joint regardless if it is in good condition or not. That to me is a smart add on.

Although I wouldn't call Jerry sloppy (far from it) , I agree with presenting the facts and suggesting options. 👍

Apologies for it coming across as a lecture, that wasn’t my internet...just emptying my head.

Do what you want with your Jeep and your money. Seems like you don't need advice.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford