Purchase Advice (02 TJ)

Out of 5 Jeeps, I've only owned 1 auto transmission and that was my favorite one, it just made cruising so nice. It was also red, I would not 2nd guess this decision at all. If nothing else at all, the TJ has better A/C, suspension, softtop design and round headlights, lol

I would expect the consensus on a TJ forum to be the TJ I guess 🤣 It's nice to hear that people enjoy the auto though, because that's one of my biggest question marks...not knowing if I'll like the auto or not!

Reactions: FJQue
Also, for those who maybe shopped jeeps back closer to 08/09 or years after with the crash..what did that do to used Jeep prices? I wouldn't plan on selling, but if we end up in a recession in the next 6-24 months (lots of data showing this), do you think prices react quite negatively? I think long term there is still high demand for these, but just curious if y'all think a correction will occur in prices?

That being said, $12k for the TJ still feels pretty good from what I've seen in research over the years, especially when everything else is high right now. It's hard to envision it going for $8-10k even in recent years, so I don't think I'd be hurt too badly if I ever had to sell.

Also, for those who maybe shopped jeeps back closer to 08/09 or years after with the crash..what did that do to used Jeep prices? I wouldn't plan on selling, but if we end up in a recession in the next 6-24 months (lots of data showing this), do you think prices react quite negatively? I think long term there is still high demand for these, but just curious if y'all think a correction will occur in prices?

That being said, $12k for the TJ still feels pretty good from what I've seen in research over the years, especially when everything else is high right now. It's hard to envision it going for $8-10k even in recent years, so I don't think I'd be hurt too badly if I ever had to sell.
TJs are getting harder to find, and good condition examples are holding their value.

Reactions: TRE3TOP

TJs are getting harder to find, and good condition examples are holding their value.

Bought my first TJ new for $16k in 2005, have seen clean examples in the last year or two for $14k - $20k with around 100k miles. If you keep this Jeep up, it'll be worth $12k or more for years to come.. I have never sold a Wrangler for less than I paid for one including my YJ. Most of the time I sold for what I paid but I always put $$$ into them. Dude, don't sleep on a well priced red Jeep at the beginning of Spring, haha..

Reactions: TRE3TOP

There will always people with enough money and the desire to buy a solid TJ

Reactions: L J
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be going to see it soon. The guy is holding it for me.

Anything to look for with the transmission when test driving? Hoping I'll be okay with the 3 speed from a fun and drivability factor compared to the 5 speed manual.

Reactions: tr21triton
If the owner starts and warms up the vehicle before you arrive, that to me is a red flag. Be prepared to crawl under it. Don't have an auto in my TJ but I have a WJ. The transmission in it has always shifted well, no slippage or delay in shifting. If the owner has owned this jeep for a while, see if he kept service records. I have a small ring binder in all my vehicles. Any maintenance I do, I write what it was and the date and mileage. Hope this works out for you.

Last edited:
If the owner starts and warms up the vehicle before you arrive, that to me is a red flag. Be prepared to crawl under it. Don't have an auto in my TJ but I have a WJ. The transmission in it has always shifted well, no slippage or delay in shifting. If the owner has owned this jeep for a while, see if he kept service records. I have a small ring binder in all my vehicles. Any maintenance I do, I write what it was and the date and mileage. Hope this works out for you.
What is a vehicle going to do at cold start up as apposed to warm start-up? just interested.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be going to see it soon. The guy is holding it for me.

Hoping I'll be okay with the 3 speed from a fun and drivability factor compared to the 5 speed manual.
It's been 55 minutes now. I'm still waiting. :sleep: If you buy it and don't like the auto, I'll take it off your hands. I have a 5 speed and prefer the 32rh auto.

Personally, I’d pay to have a compression test done on the TJ before u buy it at that price.

That low mileage doesn’t mean it’s in better shape than an engine with 3X the mileage.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Tick, tick, tick....poof...smoke. :) Ticking and smoking on start-up tend to go away when warmed up.
isnt that 99.99% of TJs anyway? lol pre warmed car- take off in 2nd labor it up an incline and reverse fast and long,
Not sure about 2 pedal stop go cars I haven't really had much experience with them. :)

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Hi
Although only a 3 speed, the 32RH is a fantastic transmission and arguably the best ever put in a Wrangler!

Honestly, reliability is more important to me so if it's as good as the ax15 I'm happy. It would seldom see 65-70 mph around here so I don't think it'll matter much that it's a 3 speed. I'd wager it'll cruise just fine at those speeds when needed.

What is a vehicle going to do at cold start up as apposed to warm start-up? just interested.
Well, once upon a time, I was waiting for the owner of a Pathfinder. The vehicle and others were parked next to the highway at some public area I guess. Some off work looking car salesman stops by. He starts this small car. Once started a lot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust. After he ran it for a while the exhaust seemed to finally clear. A few minutes later a woman and possibly her daughter stopped by. I wanted to tell her to run away! Don't know if she purchased the vehicle or not.

Reactions: AndyG and Blondie70