Purchase Advice (02 TJ)

Baldy91

Hi y'all. Got a few deals I'm eyeing right now. Looking for some input.

First is a 1995 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed manual, hard top and full doors, AC, all stock except radio and speakers, 3.55 gears with factory rear LSD. No mechanical issues, original owner, clean title, 72K miles, new paint last year, tires with only a few thousand miles on them. The guy will take $9k for it, but I'm hoping to get him down to $8k.

Next is a 2002 TJ Sport, clean title, 64K miles, 2nd owner, 4.0L, 3 speed auto, hardtop, factory Dana 44 rear, 3.73 gears, new Smittybilt 9500lb winch, 1.5" trailer hitch, 5 newer 30x9.5 BFG K02's with about 5000mi on them, garage kept. All stock minus winch. No mechanical issues. It DOES have the non tupy cracking prone head, but it looks SUPER clean and has good documented maintenance. Asking $12k.

Thoughts? I would DD about 5 miles each way to work, easy trails (not looking to crawl or do anything too intense), and mountain fun vehicle. Never driven the 3 speed auto but I've read they're darn reliable. I want to keep whatever I buy around for as long as I can, but won't put a ton of miles on it the distance I drive. I live in the Boise, Idaho, area, so it'll see a little snow on trips to the mountains and around town too.

I loved my old YJ, but the TJ is also newer and VERY well maintained so even with the extra cost up front, the maintenance very well could be lower in the near term. I'm not looking to mod heavily, MAYBE a small 2-2.5 inch lift eventually, but would rather keep it more stock for now and use it as a driver and weekend fun vehicle.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

received_387867699395075.jpeg

received_696996451324426.jpeg

received_1107992053388484.jpeg

received_1138065677093851.jpeg

received_5116816921697236.jpeg

For a DD with mild trails, either will make you happy. Choose the one that’s well maintained and test drives the way you like.

my brother has a 91 YJ and honestly I hate to ride in it compared to my 97 TJ. man the YJ will beat the shit out of you. those leaf spring just ride rough compared to the coils on a TJ. on road and off the YJ just rides like shit. if it's going to be your daily driver definitely go with the TJ unless you have a ass and teeth of steel !

Get the TJ, the YJ looks kinda beat

I think it's just the grainy photos. I'm working on getting better ones. It's original owner who says it really hasn't been driven much in past 10 years, and has seen very few trails. No rust or body damage. Not as clean as the TJ, but it wasn't garage kept like the TJ either. I don't need it to be a show vehicle, but yes the shape does factor into value.

By the 02' and then sell it to me for $100 more than you pay for it. 🥳 I've been looking for a 02' auto for 5 years.
p.s. The head cracking issues are 00-01'.

Haha 🤣 I did research on this and early 02 builds also were affected. I had the guy check and the head did not have the TUPY marking, indicating it is still the 0331 head prone to cracking. Not a deal breaker, but would need to be watched.

• Wow
Reactions: DougyintheBushies
Haha 🤣 I did research on this and early 02 builds also were affected. I had the guy check and the head did not have the TUPY marking, indicating it is still the 0331 head prone to cracking. Not a deal breaker, but would need to be watched.
Don't take that chance. Buy the YJ and I will buy the TJ because I'm a risk taker. ;)

Last edited:
The 02 to me is a better buy just because of its value it holds.. The Yj is also a good buy if your planning on doing a bunch of Mods to it.

just trying to turn up the radio in my brothers YJ is a pain in the ass if you moving on pavement ! you cant turn the knob without pushing it and have it go into another mode. and no it aint his tires had both street tires and mud tires BOUNCE, BOUNCE BOUNCE at every tiny bump. them fucking things wouldn't ride any worse if you welded the axles to the frame. leave that YJ for some teen aged kid who doesn't care if it rides like shit !

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
just trying to turn up the radio in my brothers YJ is a pain in the ass if you moving on pavement ! you cant turn the knob without pushing it and have it go into another mode. and no it aint his tires had both street tires and mud tires BOUNCE, BOUNCE BOUNCE at every tiny bump. them fucking things wouldn't ride any worse if you welded the axles to the frame. leave that YJ for some teen aged kid who doesn't care if it rides like shit !
TJ all the way!!!

Reactions: L J and tr21triton
Definitely get the TJ. I like YJs, but the TJ is just a better vehicle all around. Some might say the TJ has the best of all worlds being the last Wrangler with the 4.0L, but also having a nice coil-spring ride and a more modern interior. The TJ also looks to be in fantastic shape, and a garaged vehicle will always be in better cosmetic condition.

Reactions: tr21triton
I think it's just the grainy photos. I'm working on getting better ones. It's original owner who says it really hasn't been driven much in past 10 years, and has seen very few trails. No rust or body damage. Not as clean as the TJ, but it wasn't garage kept like the TJ either. I don't need it to be a show vehicle, but yes the shape does factor into value.

Either way, that YJ is worth like 5-6k at best… get the TJ. It’s a way better vehicle for a way better value.

Reactions: tr21triton
TJ with that Dana 44 and 3.73 gearing will probably hold value much better. It is also a sweet spot of gearing for an road going/light trails rig.