Purchase question

I see your point. As long as buyers are aware of the potential issue, they can be the ones to decide if it's a deal breaker.

It is an issue and anyone can do a search to find info on it, HOWEVER, how would someone like the OP know what to search for if it wasn't restated in his thread? I have no problem with people restating an issue and if it's something I already know about I just move on to the next post.

Okay, I'm absolutely sick and tired of the OPDA argument, and I'm getting tired of the back-and-forth on the matter.

I'm particularly getting tired of seeing threads like this one get flagged for moderation because of people reporting OPDA arguments.

Here's how it's going to go... @Jerry Bransford is certainly entitled to mention the OPDA issue to prospective buyers. If he does that, let's not assault him by turning it into an OPDA argument.

I agree, it is becoming a very tiring discussion. However, we only further the discussion by talking about it.

Knowing everything I know now, I wouldn't let a potential issue on any vehicle keep me from buying one (especially if it was clean, low mileage, and well kept). However, it's still nice to know about potential issues, as that way you have an idea of what to look for down the road.

I used to own an E46 M3 which are notorious for the rear subframe body mounts ripping out of the body. I wish someone had mentioned that to me when I bought my M3, because even though I never ended up experiencing it, I would have still kept a close eye on the rear subframe mounts, just incase the issue ever started to arise.

Let's just stop the OPDA thing, seriously. I don't want to lock another thread.

I really hope this forum doesn't turn into a "try using the search function" forum ... that's a deal breaker for me.

It won't as long as you use the "Report" button to report any posts where members are saying this.

Of course there's a difference between politely saying something like, "If you search, there is a lot of topics on this matter", versus, "Use the search button". You're smart enough to tell the difference. Report the people who are just saying it to be a$$holes.

Okay, I'm absolutely sick and tired of the OPDA argument, and I'm getting tired of the back-and-forth on the matter.

I'm sure we all agree.

. @Jerry Bransford is certainly entitled to mention the OPDA issue to prospective buyers.

I'm sure we all agree.

If he does that, let's not assault him by turning it into an OPDA argument.

If " :facepalm: " is an attack you have pretty thin skin. He gets sensitive about it, I'm just SMH. :nusenuse:

If he said something like this.....

Knowing everything I know now, I wouldn't let a potential issue on any vehicle keep me from buying one (especially if it was clean, low mileage, and well kept). However, it's still nice to know about potential issues, as that way you have an idea of what to look for down the road.

I seriously doubt anyone would respond negatively.

I don't believe anyone disagrees with Jerry the OPDA is an issue, and he's a valuable
resource, but..... you can make people aware of the issue without the drama.

Its like the difference of, if you smoke in bed you might burn your house down, or..........

If you smoke in bed, Oh, F*ck! Your house is on fire.

Its just not that big of a deal.

@Chris, I like your site. I've never joined a forum just for these reasons, some people just get to involved and get bruised egos.

:wave:

Last edited:
I'm just trying to keep things friendly without being argumentative. This site seems to have a more positive member base than other forums out there. What I mean by that is that people don't just jump down other people's throats by saying things like, "Try the search button", and other rude behavior.

I believe the OPDA issue is one that a potential owner has a right to know about, I just hate seeing threads quickly derail because of it. It's really hard to find a neutral ground on this one, we all know that.

And this is coming from a guy (me) who has owned two 2005s, and has nothing but praise for them (and would also buy another one in a heartbeat).

I'm about to pay $15,495 for an 06 Rubi with a hard-top, I6 and Auto in Texas with 94k on the clock for comparison's sake.

ee547bfe238c269485815ce2d4358b9a.jpg

Reactions: Ed Langenfeld
Thanks for all the insight so far. I have the VIN and was able to find the build sheet. Build sheet says it has Customer Preferred Package 2TU and Customer Preferred Package 24U. I tried a few google searches, but did not find anything of particular substance on those packages..anyone have knowledge of what they may be?
upload_2018-3-8_9-30-52.png

Hey don't underestimate the cruse, there's a mod you can do to turn it onto a trail hand throttle. ;)

Edit:
As a side note if you want to know more about the OPDA there is an extensive thread on this forum. I believe it's even a sticky, and covers everything you need to know.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
Thanks for all the insight so far. I have the VIN and was able to find the build sheet. Build sheet says it has Customer Preferred Package 2TU and Customer Preferred Package 24U. I tried a few google searches, but did not find anything of particular substance on those packages..anyone have knowledge of what they may be?
View attachment 34463
Did not find any information searching either. Unless someone has an original window sticker (which will list the details of those packages), I don't know how to find that information.

Reactions: Ed Langenfeld
I just found an 05 Rubi with 93k. It is supoosedly rust free (have not yet looked at underside). AT with the 4.0L 6, Pacer Soft 8 wheels wrapped in 33s Falken Wildpeak AT3W, soft top (the only way ro go, IMHO), and K&N cold air intake (don't particularly care, but it's there so whatever). Looks pretty much unmolested beyond items listed above. Dealer asking $15k. I'm new to the Jeep game...fair deal? Would offering him less (say $10-12k) be insulting for that rig?
Thx in advance, much appreciated.

How far are you from the dealership or are you planning on buying it sight unseen?

I am nearly 3hrs away and don't think I would ever buy sight unseen, especially b/c the rust issues with these TJs. Still waiting on frame pics from dealer before deciding to make the trip out or not.[/QUOTE

Hopefully the pics are of the jeep in question!

Good luck.

Reactions: jeep_boss