Purchase question

Yeah, no shit! I went through the same ordeal when I shopped for mine. Always be suspicious of ads that do no show under the hood or under the vehicle period! There are usually good reasons they leave them out.
So, I finally got a few frame pics of the Rubi and she is def not rustfree...thoughts are much appreciated!

DSC03839.JPG

DSC03831.JPG

DSC03834.JPG

DSC03833.JPG

Hey, do you have a link, is it different than the hand throttle mostly mounted on the stick?
Here's the option I'm installing
http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/twc/twc-1.htm

The company went bust so you have to find one for sale.

Another option is it can be done with a bunch of relays although I never did save the link to the write up on that method.
So, I finally got a few frame pics of the Rubi and she is def not rustfree...thoughts are much appreciated!
Looks not good. Looks like someone tried to paint over rust with rocker guard. Inside the frame is still the most telling but from those pictures I'd be debating with myself if it's worth even a couple hour drive to check out. The price would have to be REALLY good.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Here is what I see and know based on my current experience fixing a rusty jeep. The first pic of the torque box / body mount is a potential landmine. These also rust from the inside out and the slight bulge evident in the pic is a tell-tale sign. They may be solid today but guaranteed they will need attention if you plan on keeping it for any length of time. I would ask for pics of middle and rear mounts for both sides of the vehicle AND pics of the frame-side of these mounts. Two repair options- replace the full torque box or have rust cut out and shorter c-channel patches welded in. Obviously the first is the preferred method. Both are labor intensive but not necessarily hard for a typical shop. This would easily drop the price a couple grand for me. The pic with the muffler hanger is also a potential issue. I am at work and going from memory, but I do not recall a welded plate under my frame in that area and it looks like there is one in that pic. Sure sign of a crappy frame repair if someone randomly welded steel under that portion of the frame. It likely means that portion rusted through and that is how they 'fixed' it. If that is the case, that would also be another couple grand. There are also aftermarket frame caps that can be professionally welded in but remember that this type of repair, even if done properly, will reduce the value of the Jeep, particularly a Rubicon. Again, just my opinion, but unless I was getting it for under $10k, I would walk. If you can afford $15K, it sounds like from others more knowledgeable that there are much better ones to be found.

Stay far away from that. There’s so much rust lurking under the surface there, it simply isn’t worth it.
Agreed. Frames are definitely tough to deal with. I paid considerably less for mine, but the frame is solid and new floor pans are cheap. I would have to get a really sweet deal on that one because it could easily need $5k in repairs unless he can do it himself.

Agreed. Frames are definitely tough to deal with. I paid considerably less for mine, but the frame is solid and new floor pans are cheap. I would have to get a really sweet deal on that one because it could easily need $5k in repairs unless he can do it himself.

My thought with these TJs is that I could care less about the engine. I mean sure, I want one with a good engine, but miles don't bother me, because a brand new engine for a TJ is around $1500-$2000. That's not hard to fix. However, a rusted frame is a huge project, and not worth the effort IMHO.

If there's only one thing you can focus on when buying a TJ, make that thing be purchasing a rust free (or almost rust free) TJ!

The pic with the muffler hanger is also a potential issue. I am at work and going from memory, but I do not recall a welded plate under my frame in that area and it looks like there is one in that pic.

No way is that bit of plate on my LJ, nor do I recall seeing it on any friend's tj unless it's part of a bumper bracket, but then why is it welded.

The fact is, this is a 5-7grand TJ max. And you are dealing with a sales guy who started off the relationship lieing to you about rust. Then thinks you are dumb enough to not notice any in the pictures he sent you. Basically if you can pick it up for that cheap then sure, you can make your money back parting it out later. Be fully aware though, it's probably a rust nightmare. At this price it's already taken too much of your time. I can find em all day long that rusty for the same or less Canadian.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Thanks everyone for verifying my thoughts/fears when I saw those pics. So, I guess, the hunt continues...

...there are always leads to chase with these TJs and now I have several folks on the lookout for rides for me. Hoping something turns up sooner rather than later 'cause I'm getting a lotta itchy on a new ride!

Reactions: skrelnik