Question about oil pan gasket on 2003 Wrangler 4.0

Capt'n

TJ Enthusiast
So I ordered a new Oil Pan gasket…. FelPro OS 34308 R. When I compare it to the gasket I removed from the oil pan, the area around the rear main seal is different. The FelPro gasket doesn’t have the tabs on it…. Top photo old gasket, bottom photo new gasket. Did I get the wrong gasket? Everything else lines up…. Am I just suppose to use this new gasket and fill that gap with RVT? I only want to do this once. Appreciate any comments about the proper gasket. Thanks!

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

I changed mine several years ago with the same Fel-Pro gasket. While I don’t remember if that tan was there, I do know that I put RTV in all corner areas.

I seem to remember mine being blue though.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
All my other FelPro gaskets were blue…. The original order I placed showed blue. But, who knows. This is 2023 where everything seems to be a bit sketch…. Any others want to weigh in?

I did mine several times replacing my RMS four times. Blue every time.

I'd say you have a knockoff part and I'd call Felpro corporate for some info.

Also entirely possible someone put another brand into the FelPro box and returned it. My money's on idiots at the part store.

My 97 gasket also came with two plastic blue pegs to assist with lining up the pan.

And yes, RTV in the corners

-Mac

Reactions: Capt'n
I did mine several times replacing my RMS four times. Blue every time.

I'd say you have a knockoff part and I'd call Felpro corporate for some info.

Also entirely possible someone put another brand into the FelPro box and returned it. My money's on idiots at the part store.

My 97 gasket also came with two plastic blue pegs to assist with lining up the pan.

And yes, RTV in the corners

-Mac

Solid thoughts…. It did have the blue plastic pegs.. so I just called FelPro…. Their trademark blue secret sauce they put in their gaskets is a victim of “overseas” supply chain issues. They are having to use moldy gray sauce and burnt black sauce in addition to the secret blue. So pot luck on which you’ll get. They also said that incorrectly reboxed and open box items is a growing problem. Living in the New World…. With an old Soul.

If it’s a local store take it back and ask them to keep opening boxes until an “old stock” blue Fel Pro is found; otherwise, “please credit my CC back” and have a nice day!!

I d at least try to find the blue version until I knew it was next to impossible. Whole World uses Covid, help, material shortage excuse…. some of its on point and some of its just that “an excuse”!!

Am I a grumpy ol Man? Yep
😜

Reactions: Capt'n
If it’s a local store take it back and ask them to keep opening boxes until an “old stock” blue Fel Pro is found; otherwise, “please credit my CC back” and have a nice day!!

I d at least try to find the blue version until I knew it was next to impossible. Whole World uses Covid, help, material shortage excuse…. some of its on point and some of its just that “an excuse”!!

Am I a grumpy ol Man? Yep
😜

I bought my “original gray” one from Mr Amazon Bezo…. But I did visit our local OReillys today and did just that…. I told them about how the secret sauce had evaporated and that told me I was full of it. Then they went back and brought out their 2 FelPro Oil pan gasket Boxes and opened the first box up…. Moldy Gray. And then the second box… Again Moldy Gray😂. I’ll just Don Quixote it and blissfully proceed, “ignorant” of the whole color issue and keep on slaying my TJ issues.