Question about tailgating accident

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Today I followed a Ram truck with the entire back window filled with the following

Back off you bumper humper
My breaks are good how is your insurance?

Yes, that’s how brakes was spelled.

I only got close enough to read it but was wondering, if that guy gets rear ended, will that stuff in the back window cause him some problems?

Depends on the circumstances the cop and the judge. Certainly won’t be helpful to his cause in any case.

Reactions: Apparition
After further research I see that it’s a common sticker but they spell brakes correctly.

Good witnesses will likely help that case too.
But it comes down to local laws.
Every place is a bit different.

Here in Oregon, for example, if you post no trespassing signs on your property, law enforcement cannot enter your property to preform what we like to call, a knock and talk.

In fact, unless they have a warrant and can prove the person cited in said warrant is on premises, like seeing them enter the home or property...cannot enter.

Only exception is in pursuing a fleeing felon.

I bring this up in only to make a point, most people do not know this and post the signs without realizing....that LE won’t come on the property without a clear invitation.

Now the whole back window thing, stupid and IMHO, put that in front of a jury where the person caused serious injury or death....yeah, doesn’t look good.

But I also don’t have stupid stickers or signs on my vehicles or property.....well, I fly two flags and if you have an issue with that, knock on my door. 😉👊

I have one on the back of my LJ, it says Moab

I have that sticker but it made it to the tool box.
Although, we are doing something with the 4Runner I normally wouldn’t do but it’s not my rig...patches, on the headliner. She only has two, I don’t care for it but it’s out of sight and shows a bit of history so I guess it’s cool. Lol

Hey, do what you want, it’s your ride. If your bumper is covered with random stickers just know, I’m silently judging you. 😂
I also passed a newer Ford Escape, had a ton of stickers on the back. The one I read said “I’m not speeding, I’m qualifying” I judged it too.

Today I followed a Ram truck with the entire back window filled with the following

Yes, that’s how brakes was spelled.

I only got close enough to read it but was wondering, if that guy gets rear ended, will that stuff in the back window cause him some problems?
There will be zero problems because first, that would be really stupid and secondly, the sticker says exactly zero about brakes. There are many definitions for the word break. Being able to avoid rear ending someone is not included.

In fact if I was driving the truck and someone hit me from behind and then attempted to say anything about the sticker adding any liability, I'd just point out that you being too stupid to breathe is not my fault. Trying to make one word be another makes you that dumb.

Good witnesses will likely help that case too.
But it comes down to local laws.
Every place is a bit different.

Here in Oregon, for example, if you post no trespassing signs on your property, law enforcement cannot enter your property to preform what we like to call, a knock and talk.

In fact, unless they have a warrant and can prove the person cited in said warrant is on premises, like seeing them enter the home or property...cannot enter.

Only exception is in pursuing a fleeing felon.

I bring this up in only to make a point, most people do not know this and post the signs without realizing....that LE won’t come on the property without a clear invitation.

Now the whole back window thing, stupid and IMHO, put that in front of a jury where the person caused serious injury or death....yeah, doesn’t look good.

But I also don’t have stupid stickers or signs on my vehicles or property.....well, I fly two flags and if you have an issue with that, knock on my door. 😉👊
In CA, following too closely is well enforced and the liability is nearly always on the one who smacks into the rear end of the vehicle in front in a pretty much no questions asked fashion. I had an instructor in traffic school (with the personality of drying paint) point out that if you ran into the back of a vehicle stopped dead in the middle of a traffic lane at night that technically you are liable for exceeding safe speeds for the road conditions. I'm pretty sure you could spend some money and alter that particular case to your benefit in court, but on the surface without do so, you are liable.

Reactions: Rick Flair and JMT
I'll leave the comments to you.

20170306_171323.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: matkal
Bumper stickers won’t change anything in an accident. If someone hits you from behind it’s going to be their fault no matter what. Each state is a little different, but they all have laws about how far to stay behind the car in front of you. In WA it is 4 seconds.

I pass an "avid Trump" supporter on my way home eveyday, the type that has a huge 4 x 8 sheet of plywood painted TRUMP 2020 and also has an inflatable trump doll with 2 thumbs up. Anyway for months there was a huge vinyl decal on his trucks back window that says "DON'T BE A DOOSH". Now it is smaller and is spelled correctly "Don't be a douche " I had to laugh.

I pass an "avid Trump" supporter on my way home eveyday, the type that has a huge 4 x 8 sheet of plywood painted TRUMP 2020 and also has an inflatable trump doll with 2 thumbs up. Anyway for months there was a huge vinyl decal on his trucks back window that says "DON'T BE A DOOSH". Now it is smaller and is spelled correctly "Don't be a douche " I had to laugh.
Must be my cousin, I can't spell dooche either.

Reactions: cliffish