Question on how I should build our TJ

Jay P

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m doing a build with my son, it’s a 2000 TJ Sport, auto, 3.07 [emoji1361] (I know) gears with the Dana 35/30. I live in Utah about 3-4 hours from Moab and there’s many trails within an hour from us. I know this gets asked a ton without info on plans for the Jeep and how it will be used. I just want opinions. The plan is to quit dd it in a year or 2 and make it a great Rock Crawler rig and capable for anything else in its path. We also want to keep it street legal for weekends etc. so my thoughts are always changing on what to do with it. Today I feel like this
35s
4” lift
1” body lift
I have a Ford 8.8 in the garage
Or I’m open on axles and gears based on your opinions. It is the 3spd auto and I’ve heard that 4:56 would be fine and also heard to go lower.
And if course an SYE and DCDS
Lockers F&R
Skids
Etc etc.
I would love some if your input especially if you are doing some “hardcore “ trails regularly.
We plan to beat this thing and keep it around forever at this point. I’m ready to start getting parts on order and get them installed so I can contribute here and show my build journey as I’ve been sitting back and learning for a bit now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
In my mind, 35" tires are pointless unless you plan on doing a lot of rock crawling. However, being as though you're close to Moab, I assume that is your intention, yes? If so, then I would do 35" tires, a 4" lift, 1" body lift, tummy tuck and under armor, front and rear lockers, SYE, DC driveshaft, etc. Basically everything you've outlined is the right stuff to do IMHO.

As for the Ford 8.8, after reading enough about it, I've determined it's more grief than it's worth. I'd be more inclined to put a Dana 44 in the rear if you could find one. Either that or a Super 35 would work just as well.

Of course this is all assuming you plan on doing rock crawling and not just trails and mud like some of us (myself included) do.

For Dana 44s, any 35" tires with a 4" lift is a perfect combination.
Even if you do not go off road, it will look good on a TJ especially with KO2 tires.
So it's well worth it IMO bec. we all want our TJs to look good :)

Reactions: KCsTJ and Kiwi TJ
For Dana 44s, any 35" tires with a 4" lift is a perfect combination.
Even if you do not go off road, it will look good on a TJ especially with KO2 tires.
So it's well worth it IMO bec. we all want our TJs to look good :)
I second that motion ...lol..a great, go anywhere set up.

That’s the way I’m leaning for the long run is the 35s. It had 31s now and I know many if you regret going bigger and trust me I debate it almost every day. As for the 8.8, I tore into it, cleaned it up a little and after researching what it would take to set it up, you are right that it’s more of a pain, but out here there isn’t 1 Jeep in a salvage yard at all. I found a Dana 44 from a rolled Jeep that had broken brackets that I passed on (overpriced). Anyways, your input is much appreciated and I’ll keep you posted.

After watching the stock and near stock tackle some trails on the video that was posted here a few days ago, I wouldn't go to any extreme. To me it seems its about wheel placement and a educated right foot. But hey I could be wrong.

Where is it? Who posted it?

In my mind, 35" tires are pointless unless you plan on doing a lot of rock crawling. However, being as though you're close to Moab, I assume that is your intention, yes? If so, then I would do 35" tires, a 4" lift, 1" body lift, tummy tuck and under armor, front and rear lockers, SYE, DC driveshaft, etc. Basically everything you've outlined is the right stuff to do IMHO.

As for the Ford 8.8, after reading enough about it, I've determined it's more grief than it's worth. I'd be more inclined to put a Dana 44 in the rear if you could find one. Either that or a Super 35 would work just as well.

Of course this is all assuming you plan on doing rock crawling and not just trails and mud like some of us (myself included) do.

I very much respect your opinion. I do a little bit of everything out here. Moab is usually 2-3 times a year and honestly it’s the only place that I’ve broken axles. I’ve had some cash burning to disappear into the TJ but man am I having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything right now.

Reactions: Chris
You could go Dana 60, 37’s, lockers, etc... all the way IMO. There are always gonna be impassable obstacles. You still have to know how to pick lines, etc...you’re not necessarily substituting capability for skill as some seem to imply. That’s why some end up on 40’s and greater. They want to do crazier stuff! My opinion is to decide what you want to overcome and build for it! It’s not going to be a DD anyway, but a rock krawler!

You could go Dana 60, 37’s, lockers, etc... all the way IMO. There are always gonna be impassable obstacles. You still have to know how to pick lines, etc...you’re not necessarily substituting capability for skill as some seem to imply. That’s why some end up on 40’s and greater. They want to do crazier stuff! My opinion is to decide what you want to overcome and build for it! It’s not going to be a DD anyway, but a rock krawler!

I would love to drag it around all over and crawl some of the great trails in Cali and other places. It would have to be able to play in the rocks for sure but we have some great Jeep/4x4/atv trails out here in Utah as well.

Reactions: JMT
35s
4” SL
1” BL
SYE + DCDS
4.88 gears
Plus adj CA’s
Or
31s
2-3” springs
RS5000x
Tummy tuck
Still need SYE +DCDS
Keep 3.07s with 31s?

Without calculating it seems like a wash financially to me and once you do the SYE + DCDS you might as well go 4” SL but I do think I could go with 2” for now and do the tummy tuck and add 35s and 4” SL later. Sounds like a plan to me but do you recommend a re-gear if I keep the 31s for a while? It seems fine to me so far.

35s
4” SL
1” BL
SYE + DCDS
4.88 gears
Plus adj CA’s
Or
31s
2-3” springs
RS5000x
Tummy tuck
Still need SYE +DCDS
Keep 3.07s with 31s?

Without calculating it seems like a wash financially to me and once you do the SYE + DCDS you might as well go 4” SL but I do think I could go with 2” for now and do the tummy tuck and add 35s and 4” SL later. Sounds like a plan to me but do you recommend a re-gear if I keep the 31s for a while? It seems fine to me so far.

Know anyone with 31s who would let you mount them and give it a drive? Oops. Looks like you have 31s now, never mind...

Know anyone with 31s who would let you mount them and give it a drive?

I have 31s now but I have yet to get too crazy with them at this point. I have wheeled it in the mountains but not in the rocks yet. I’m all over the place and can be very confusing at times, sorry about that.

Sad thing is everyone that I wheel with now have JKs or side x sides. They can’t turn me just yet. The TJ will always be in the family.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
If you want to really hone your skillz on the rocks do the 2-3" lift and stay on 31's. You'll get really good at picking your lines. Get the TT done and later, if needed, you can lift it more and go with the monster truck tires.

If you want to really hone your skillz on the rocks do the 2-3" lift and stay on 31's. You'll get really good at picking your lines. Get the TT done and later, if needed, you can lift it more and go with the monster truck tires.

I think it’s settled. Now to order the Rs5000x and Pro Comps or some 3” coils possibly, maybe, to be continued.....

Reactions: bobthetj03
I think it’s settled. Now to order the Rs5000x and Pro Comps or some 3” coils possibly, maybe, to be continued.....

2" coils will be plenty for 31's and less risk of drive line vibes. How cool would it be if you didn't have to do the SYE/DCDS/Adjustable CA's right away?

2" coils will be plenty for 31's and less risk of drive line vibes. How cool would it be if you didn't have to do the SYE/DCDS/Adjustable CA's right away?

Yes for sure! So my 18 yr old stock control arms should be fine? I’d love to save some cash for some other upgrades instead of the SYE etc.

Also.. a track bar relocation kit for rear only right? Steering stabilizer do anything? Dang it never ends. I’ve always paid people to do that stuff but older wiser me can’t and won’t pay someone for things that I should be capable of.

Yes for sure! So my 18 yr old stock control arms should be fine? I’d love to save some cash for some other upgrades instead of the SYE etc.

Also.. a track bar relocation kit for rear only right? Steering stabilizer do anything? Dang it never ends. I’ve always paid people to do that stuff but older wiser me can’t and won’t pay someone for things that I should be capable of.

Inspect the bushings on the CA's, minor cracking of the rubber is ok. Major tears is not. TB relocation bracket for the rear, affirmative. Front will be slightly off center with the stock TB, but it won't hurt anything unless you're OCD like me and can't stand for things to not be perfect.

Inspect the bushings on the CA's, minor cracking of the rubber is ok. Major tears is not. TB relocation bracket for the rear, affirmative. Front will be slightly off center with the stock TB, but it won't hurt anything unless you're OCD like me and can't stand for things to not be perfect.

I am OCD but I can deal with it for a while I guess. Thanks for your help. Just reading your build thread. Nice rig, love the wheels too they look great. Maybe I’ll copy your build somewhat in the black form.

Thanks. Here's some motivation for you. Me on the Rubicon Trail with 2.5" lift, no TT, and worn out 32's. It can be done. Just pick your lines, maybe stack a few rocks, and have a trustworthy spotter in the really tough spots.
25.JPG

P1060754.JPG

Went to Moab last year and had a blast. Can't wait to go back.