Question on the Dana 30 HP pinion preload adjustment

Yeah, 0.001 does matter. Removed additional 0.001, and got excessive preload (20 inch pound) already when torqued to just 150 feet pound. I guess, adding back the 0.001, and buttoning up everything.
I will check the gear pattern. If it load 0.016 inch in preload shims, I guess it would have impact on the on the pinion depth - the inner bearing got eaten up slightly, I assume.

Pinion depth and pinion preload have to be established in the correct order. Because the pinion depth is controlled by shims and baffles under the inner pinion bearing and race and the pinion bearing preload is controlled by the preload shims under the outer pinion bearing you must have your gear pattern established first as any change in pinion depth will have an effect on how many shims it takes to get he correct pinion preload.

That doesn't sound good at all. Sounds like a complete rebuild to me now.

I understand that the best option is just to replace all the bearings, recalculate pinion depth, gear pattern, but I am just not mentally ready to this. I will measure now the backlash, will run the pattern and see what I get. Hope it will not be a complete disaster

Pinion depth and pinion preload have to be established in the correct order. Because the pinion depth is controlled by shims and baffles under the inner pinion bearing and race and the pinion bearing preload is controlled by the preload shims under the outer pinion bearing you must have your gear pattern established first as any change in pinion depth will have an effect on how many shims it takes to get he correct pinion preload.

I understand this. I did not remove the inner bearing, or the race and as a result pinion depth is expected (theoretically at least) stay what it was.
I will measure the pattern and backlash and see where do I get.

Measured the backlash. Worst case (measured at the outer end of the tooth) is 0.012.
From what I read, the backlash is supposed be under 0.01 inch.

My understanding from the below is that backlash spec for Dana 30 is between 0.006 to 0.01.
Am I wrong?
1686584653414.png

6-10 according to that chart. The .001 is showing that the measurement is in thousandths of an inch. So the spec according to your chart is 6 to 10 thousandths of an inch.

My worst case backlash appeared to be 12 thousands of an inch. I know it is outside of the spec, but is it really so bad got front axle? 95% of time I am in 2WD,

I took the gear patter on both sides of the teeth. Does not seem great, and does not seem so bad.
@Blackjack and @hosejockey61 - what do you guys think?
I am installing lockable hubs anyway, so these gears will run only when on trails anyway.

7200691F-2481-49A3-9E81-24EB899E808A.jpeg

66B722D3-A12F-400A-A725-419FCA94E50B.jpeg

All things considered I thought it would have been worse. I would not mess with it just deal with the bearings.

I bought today second hand locking hub kit (the WU-07 with warn hubs). This means that these gears will spin once a week on a trail in a very best case.
I told myself that I am giving up on this one, and will leave with these bearings.
Anyway I am planning to switch from my 4.56 gears to 5.13 in a couple of years, so it will be a good time to rebuild it.