Questions about 6 inch suspension lift on my 98 TJ

runninwild

Just bought a 98 tj over the weekend. I'm new to jeeps so I'm trying to make sure everything is setup correctly...was told there was a 6in lift unsure of brand has skyjacker 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer sye eliminator kit tom wood double Cardan drive shaft 4:10 gears in rear verified by looking at ring gear. Was told the front has aussie locker haven't taken the front diff apart to look yet... has unlocking swaybar links also was told front end may need some parts was also told he rebuilt front end due to death wobble going to take to shop n see what all needs replaced...anyhow when I drove back home I kept feeling a bang in the floor from 1st to 2nd when letting out the clutch also shakes pretty good at 45 50 smoothes out at 60 mph.. has 33x12.5x15 tires I believe it has to do with the tread on tire they are Hercules trail digger m/t have a full bar of tread on outside then a half bar etc.. got home checked u joint at pinion shaft in rear and had about 1/8 slop Replaced the front fit great replaced rear u joint it was rounded on the ear underneath the cup still had the 1/8 slop after replacing u joint. Took for a ride the bang felt to be alot less but was still there so I ordered A new pinion yoke.ive tried to measure the driveshaft to see if its within the 1 to 3 degrees but not sure if I'm doing it right. Looks like theres bushings in between the frame and t case skid place maybe 3/4 or 1 inch spacers the t case is setting 5 deg. The shaft measures 20 deg the rear diff measures 10 deg is this a Acceptable tolerance? Lift has been on for at least 10 yrs so its had to been ok to drive on I'm sure the bang is from the sloppy pinion yoke just trying to get everything in sync...

Last edited:
Just bought a 98 tj over the weekend. I'm new to jeeps so I'm trying to make sure everything is setup correctly...was told there was a 6in lift unsure of brand has skyjacker 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer sye eliminator kit tom wood double Cardan drive shaft 4:10 gears in rear verified by looking at ring gear. Was told the front has aussie locker haven't taken the front diff apart to look yet... anyhow when I drove back home I kept feeling a bang in the floor from 1st to 2nd when letting out the clutch got home checked u joint at pinion shaft in rear and had about 1/8 slop Replaced the front fit great replaced rear u joint it was rounded on the ear underneath the cup still had the 1/8 slop after replacing u joint so I ordered A new pinion yoke

98 tj 6in lift suspension questions​

Your title is misleading. I didn't see any ?

I would suggest posting pictures of your rig such as the steering & trackbar plus brackets. Then the suspension links and rear axle plus the driveshaft & pinion. That way folks can try to help you figure a few things out and maybe give you a guess as to which brand you lift kit is.

What size tire are you running? 4.10 gears aren't good for much more than 33" tires and that really is pushing it.

33x12.5x15 tire I was thinking I should have 31x10.50.15 33s were on it when I bought it they are brand new

WOW 33" tires on a 6" lift? You can run 35-36" tires with a 6" lift and if you have a body lift maybe even 37" tires BUT your axles will not thank you for that big of a tire.

31" tall tires would be the best with your current gear ratio but won't look good with all that lift on the rig.

WOW 33" tires on a 6" lift? You can run 35-36" tires with a 6" lift and if you have a body lift maybe even 37" tires BUT your axles will not thank you for that big of a tire.

31" tall tires would be the best with your current gear ratio but won't look good with all that lift on the rig.
I know there is no body mount lifts its Sitting on stock rubber ones

Are you thinking about lowering it if you go down in tire size?
I wasnt Going to kinda tight on funds... as long as it functions that's all I care about right now but it's all over the road when u drive it. Kinda like an old truck with everything wore out up front guessing that's Because of the big tire width going with contour of the road?

It has a dana 44 in rear still not a good idea with 33s ?

I wasnt Going to kinda tight on funds... as long as it functions that's all I care about right now but it's all over the road when u drive it. Kinda like an old truck with everything wore out up front guessing that's Because of the big tire width going with contour of the road?

This is why I suggested you post pictures of the under carriage of your rig. Most likely the steering & trackbar are not setup correctly. The tires don't normally cause that much wondering.

It has a dana 44 in rear still not a good idea with 33s ?

The Dana 44 rear axle can be made to handle 37" tires in the rear but the front axle can't. The ball joints wear very fast with that large of a tire on it.

And with 4.10 gears like I said you'd be better with 31" tires but you can squeak by with the 33" tires. You need to fix things in your steering or suspension before you do anything. Since going to 31" tires isn't going to cure that.

You said you have a Aussie locker in the front was there anything in the rear? Limited slip or locker?

This is why I suggested you post pictures of the under carriage of your rig. Most likely the steering & trackbar are not setup correctly. The tires don't normally cause that much wondering.

The Dana 44 rear axle can be made to handle 37" tires in the rear but the front axle can't. The ball joints wear very fast with that large of a tire on it.

And with 4.10 gears like I said you'd be better with 31" tires but you can squeak by with the 33" tires. You need to fix things in your steering or suspension before you do anything. Since going to 31" tires isn't going to cure that.

You said you have a Aussie locker in the front was there anything in the rear? Limited slip or locker?
Seems to be a trac lock in rear limited slip I was trying to read the letters on it

Reactions: Wildman
I'll have to take more later on today

20210621_063322.jpg

20210621_063225.jpg

I see a lot wrong here. First off, you have a TC drop with an SYE and a DC driveshaft. Second, you're missing a skid plate mounting bolt. Third, it looks like yo have stock rear upper control arms and fixed lowers, it's impossible to get your pinion angle right with that setup.

Ok so would it be safe enough to drive around on after I get the rear pinion yoke replaced and the front end looked at to see what all needs replaced ? And I plan on dropping tire size to 31x10.50x15 would that change it at all ? I do know the front is raked up about 1 1/2 inches. I need to take out the 3 in coil spacer in the front and put in a 1 1/2 coil spacer to level it out I'm assuming that will also change the angle But I'm hoping it's not too much not sure if I should just leave it raked up or level it

Ok so would it be safe enough to drive around on after I get the rear pinion yoke replaced and the front end looked at to see what all needs replaced ? And I plan on dropping tire size to 31x10.50x15 would that change it at all ? I do know the front is raked up about 1 1/2 inches. I need to take out the 3 in coil spacer in the front and put in a 1 1/2 coil spacer to level it out I'm assuming that will also change the angle But I'm hoping it's not too much not sure if I should just leave it raked up or level it out