Questions about front speakers and pods

Those are the ones. I got them off their eBay store for the same price with free shipping. The filling is intended to be left in. Fiber filling makes the speaker act like it is in a larger enclosure which will enhance base. I left it in my enclosures. I can't imagine it makes much difference though in a speaker that small.

That same speaker and enclosure with a 1" tweeter in the top of the dash really improved the sound. I am just running it of a cheap aftermarket head unit too. With an amp it will be even better.

View attachment 247551
Can you give me some more info on the 1” tweeter

Can you give me some more info on the 1” tweeter

I used these.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699048/JL-Audio-C1-075ct.html?tp=107
They come with an in-line cross-over and surface mount so you could put them in without cutting the dash. I used a hole saw to put them in the vent cover and hot glued them in. They sound really nice with the dash pods and 5.25" front speakers just running off a cheap head unit. I mean, not really nice like a $5000 kit in an car, but really nice like $600 total cost in a soft top Jeep.

1638199331536.png

1638199316832.png

Reactions: JESTER801
That is a really cool idea. I am not a big fan of the A pillar, but something like this would be really clean.

thanks

Factory front size is 4x6 but you'll get better sound quality if you use an adapter plate to convert it to a round 5.25" size. Polk's DB 5.25" round coaxial speaker would be a good choice. The sheet metal 4x6 to 5.25 adapter plate is available on the web, Crutchfield, etc.

Does the metal plate versus a pod make a significant difference? I'm swapping all 4 stock for those exact speakers, and debating on spending the additional $89 on pods or just using the cheaper mounting plates.

Does the metal plate versus a pod make a significant difference? I'm swapping all 4 stock for those exact speakers, and debating on spending the additional $89 on pods or just using the cheaper mounting plates.

I used the pods and that worked great. I can't talk to the plates as I've never tried them.

Tried plates once...👎🏻...that's why I have the skypod now

I used steel adapter plates for my new 5.25" coaxial speakers and they worked fine. No vibrations, no drawbacks.

I used these.
[URL]https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699048/JL-Audio-C1-075ct.html?tp=107[/URL]

They come with an in-line cross-over and surface mount so you could put them in without cutting the dash. I used a hole saw to put them in the vent cover and hot glued them in. They sound really nice with the dash pods and 5.25" front speakers just running off a cheap head unit. I mean, not really nice like a $5000 kit in an car, but really nice like $600 total cost in a soft top Jeep.

View attachment 293131

View attachment 293130
So for something like this you just splice these into the front speaker wires? I’ve been wanting to get a pillar tweeters but wasn’t sure how to go about it, didn’t know if I had to replace my front speakers. I have a 75x4w amp and those say 50w rms max so they might not work for me

Yes, I just ran the wires down to the lower speakers and spliced them in. It increases the ohms a bit, but with a small tweeter it should be fine. With the speaker pods and the tweeter on the dash it really helped the sound.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I used these.
[URL]https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699048/JL-Audio-C1-075ct.html?tp=107[/URL]

View attachment 293130
gbirk-

Now that you’ve had some time with 5.25” dash pods and the tweeters on the dash, is this still a great install option? Does the sound seem a little bright? I’m considering a similar install but with mid/tweeters for a little broader frequency response on the topside of the dash.

Also curious how that dash tweeter set up
View attachment 364647

I was thinking using something like this in the 5 1/4 config.

That‘s what I was trying to find when I started looking to upgrade my speakers. However, when I added my Jeep, the results filters didn’t include these. These with a powered sub would be perfect and you wouldn’t need to add another amp If you have a decent head unit.

These with a powered sub would be perfect and you wouldn’t need to add another amp If you have a decent head unit.

That is what I am thinking of doing. I am actually going to swap the speakers first- because its just easier of the two and do the radio later- watch for a close out deal.

Reactions: Doug-AK
gbirk-

Now that you’ve had some time with 5.25” dash pods and the tweeters on the dash, is this still a great install option? Does the sound seem a little bright? I’m considering a similar install but with mid/tweeters for a little broader frequency response on the topside of the dash.

I have been really pleased with how it sounds for how little it cost. They could use a small amp as right now just the head-unit is driving everything. I would go with a soft dome tweeter if you can to keep it from being too bright, but overall I am really please with it and I really like the way those tweeters I lnked to sound. Crisp but not harsh.

You have to remember too, I don't have a hard top, so with a soft top or no top you really can't tell the diffrence between a high end system and an OK system. It is all just kind of background noise to the music of the 31's.