Questions about my new to me 2001 TJ Sport

srsilberfarb

I'm also new to the Jeep family...so take it easy on me 'til I get up to speed.

Here are initial impressions. Insights welcome.

Starts ok, a little labored. Battery tested 12.33 cold and 14.07 running. I'm concluding for now that alternator is fine and battery weak. I'm in Minnesota so weak battery in the winter is bad news. I'll replace.

I'd appreciate insight on how to address rust, primarily the structural rust:
1. Is the car road worthy?
2. Are those cracks on frame?
3. On the assumption the rust indicated on the frame is rather serious, what are effective and reasonable financially solutions?

Brakes: Feel very soft. Build sheet indicates power front/rear drum. I see no specific mention of ABS. Do I have that right? Obviously I'll pull wheels and check brakes, calipers and rotors and likely replace them all.

Steering: Feels rather sloppy.

Key: I only have one key. it's black "cover." Do I have a "sentry key immobilizer system"? Where can i find replacement keys?

No Soft top. Are these reliably easy to come by (I'd need a storage solution for the hard top).

If this is worth fixing up, what are some mods I should consider? One that comes to mind is upgrading the headlights. Also need floor mats (hardly critical though).

Thank you!

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_8699.JPG

IMG_8700.JPG

IMG_8702.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

IMG_8706.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: thekidwithquestions
I think hopes and dreams are the only things holding that jeep together. You need to:

A) replace that entire frame asap. It can/should not be salvaged.

B) Get another TJ, and use that one for parts (or part it out)

C) ...

Here are initial impressions. Insights welcome.

Starts ok, a little labored. Battery tested 12.33 cold and 14.07 running. I'm concluding for now that alternator is fine and battery weak. I'm in Minnesota so weak battery in the winter is bad news. I'll replace.

Thank you!

View attachment 285120

View attachment 285121

View attachment 285122

View attachment 285123

View attachment 285124

View attachment 285125

View attachment 285126

View attachment 285127

View attachment 285128

View attachment 285129
Absolutely get that battery checked out, winter is almost here!

Usually I advocate Safe T Caps over a frame swap... but I'm not sure there is enough metal to weld to there. Long story short: Unless you are doing the work yourself and enjoy a project, I can't imagine it's worth paying someone to attempt to repair this Jeep. You're looking at $4.5k minimum for frame swap if you're paying someone to do the work, and then you have to deal with all the body rust.

Maybe tighten up that track bar & adjust the toe. That should compensate for the lack of structure.

I’m thinkin’ this guy is the ultimate troll.
Maybe this could go on for about 37 pages, like those “what viscosity motor oil” or “best suspension manufacturer(that gives stickers)for those on a budget” threads.

Reactions: qslim
holy shit that frame is FUCKED UP ! I'd go find a good 4 wheel trailer, tow it there for sure ! and just spend the day enjoying your wasted money and beat the shit outa that thing, deep mud holes are fun if ya hit em at about 50mph and dont have to worry about breaking anything :ROFLMAO: , because that shit is already tore up ! but before you go make sure to fill the frame with 5 minute epoxy then coat everything with fluid film for sure to help hold it together and maybe add some flex seal and jb weld too, i guarantee this for 5 minutes or 5 feet whichever comes 1st ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :eek: :eek: :eek:

holy shit that frame is FUCKED UP ! I'd go find a good 4 wheel trailer, tow it there for sure ! and just spend the day enjoying your wasted money and beat the shit outa that thing, deep mud holes are fun if ya hit em at about 50mph and dont have to worry about breaking anything :ROFLMAO: , because that shit is already tore up ! but before you go make sure to fill the frame with 5 minute epoxy then coat everything with fluid film for sure to help hold it together and maybe add some flex seal and jb weld too, i guarantee this for 5 minutes or 5 feet whichever comes 1st ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Is this BONDO?

8AD54EFE-B217-4332-8AC9-2DDC300593B3.png

damn sure is, well it looks like the previous owner already did what I said and has beatin the shit out of it already !