Questions about new tires and what will fit

daveandcj2007

Hello everyone. Longtime Wrangler lover, first time Wrangler owner. I just bought this 2001 Wrangler Sport yesterday. 4.0L, auto with 92,000 miles. Those tires are 255/75 17s. Essentially, 32x10x17. The tread is shot so I need to purchase new ones soon. I am not a TJ aficionado but, for 32s, there looks like a lot of gap. Might there be a mild lift on here? Could I fit 33s?

20220306_113631.jpg

20220305_182124.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-161612_Chrome.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You should be able to fit them but they might rub when turning. You also are going to lose up travel. A lift is best but, to each their own. See if the shop has a rim size with 33s on it to test fit. Maybe a buddy has wheels and tires that you could test fit.

Measure your spring heights with the Jeep sitting on the ground. Stock front springs are 12" tall, stock rear springs are 8" tall. So, for example, your front springs were 14" tall and your rears were 10" tall, you would have a 2" suspension lift.

Be wary adding 33's, you need 4" of additional clearance to clear them well enough. You can get 4" of clearance with either a 4" suspension lift or a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. A suspension lift is done via lengthening the springs which raises everything, the chassis and body, above the axles. A body lift consists of spacers between the frame and body.

Also, your performance will decrease proportionately as the diameter of the tires increases. The only way to counteract that after installing bigger tires is to regear both axles to a lower ratio which raises the engine rpms back up to where they should be. That's not cheap to do, $1300-1800 or so depending on how competitive the shops are in your area.

By the way I love your Jeep, that's the same color my previous (stolen) 1997 Wrangler was that I purchased new.

Measure your spring heights with the Jeep sitting on the ground. Stock front springs are 12" tall, stock rear springs are 8" tall. So, for example, your front springs were 14" tall and your rears were 10" tall, you would have a 2" suspension lift.

Be wary adding 33's, you need 4" of additional clearance to clear them well enough. You can get 4" of clearance with either a 4" suspension lift or a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. A suspension lift is done via lengthening the springs which raises everything, the chassis and frame, above the axles. A body lift consists of spacers between the frame and body.

Also, your performance will decrease proportionately as the diameter of the tires increases. The only way to counteract that after installing bigger tires is to regear both axles to a lower ratio which raises the engine rpms back up to where they should be. That's not cheap to do, $1300-1800 or so depending on how competitive the shops are in your area.

By the way I love your Jeep, that's the same color my previous (stolen) 1997 Wrangler was that I purchased new.
This is a great and simple explanation of lifts, wheels, tires and gears and how they interact.

Much easier to understand than cold air intakes for example..... 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This is a great and simple explanation of lifts, wheels, tires and gears and how they interact.

Much easier to understand than cold air intakes for example..... 🤣

Hello everyone. Longtime Wrangler lover, first time Wrangler owner. I just bought this 2001 Wrangler Sport yesterday. 4.0L, auto with 92,000 miles. Those tires are 255/75 17s. Essentially, 32x10x17. The tread is shot so I need to purchase new ones soon. I am not a TJ aficionado but, for 32s, there looks like a lot of gap. Might there be a mild lift on here? Could I fit 33s?

View attachment 313865

View attachment 313866

View attachment 313867

Be wary adding 33's, you need 4" of additional clearance to clear them well enough. You can get 4" of clearance with either a 4" suspension lift or a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. A suspension lift is done via lengthening the springs which raises everything, the chassis and body, above the axles. A body lift consists of spacers between the frame and body.

$1200 to $1800 in parts for parts or parts plus labor? I got a quote for a regear over $3200...

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1
$1200 to $1800 in parts for parts or parts plus labor? I got a quote for a regear over $3200...
That included parts and labor. Whoever quoted $3200 was either including other things beside installing new R&P gears or they're looking to see if you'll actually buy at that price after which they'd have a big party if you did.

That included parts and labor. Whoever quoted $3200 was either including other things beside installing new R&P gears or they're looking to see if you'll actually buy at that price after which they'd have a big party if you did.
HAHA nice. They were looking for a party b.c that was the only inquiry quote I requested. I remember saying "what?!" and pretty much leaving after that. Not b.c I knew it was a bad deal but b.c I didn't have that money anyways lol.

I think it's all gone up about 40-50% too. Getting mine done soon for about $2,500, also got a quote from a buy gear shop for $3,200. The gear shop was busy enough to hear the "take it or leave it" in their voice

I love red TJs, congrats OP! I agree, looks like you have a lift. You seem to have a lot of gap if those are measuring 32 now. You could probably squeeze off 33s with a body lift if don't already have one. I recommend one of the aluminum 1.25" BLs. Keep in mind what Jerry said, he's been around since my first TJ in 2005 I bought new. That was 5 Jeeps ago.., anywho! I would also run my VIN to see what axles and gears came from the factory, Google Jeep Build Sheet. If you have 3.73s already, it's not the best but I currently have 33x10.50r15s on 3.73 gearing. It's still enjoyable but not ideal. We'll see ya on down the trail..

I think it's all gone up about 40-50% too. Getting mine done soon for about $2,500, also got a quote from a buy gear shop for $3,200. The gear shop was busy enough to hear the "take it or leave it" in their voice
That 3200 quote was about 1.5yrs ago for me. Coincidentally when I was calling around (recently) to shops about an SYE/CV DS, I asked that same shop how far out they're scheduling - they said 10 weeks at the earliest. There's lots of take it or leave it prices it seems...

Reactions: FJQue
I personally make a mental note on all these businesses who are gouging the h _ _ _ out of people right now…. It might be a number of years but when they re scrounging for business at the next bottom of the business cycle guess what….. they can go belly up before I spend with them! I ll pay a higher amount to a business that wasn’t gouging everyone at that point.

Reactions: FJQue and UKTJ

15" front, 11" rear. So a 3" lift. I put 285 70 17s on. It already had adapters/spacers so they fit well.

15" front, 12" inch rear. So a 3" lift. I installed 285 70 17s. It already had spacer/adapters so they fit nice.

20220313_135404.jpg

15" front, 11" rear. So a 3" lift. I put 285 70 17s on. It already had adapters/spacers so they fit well.

15" front, 12" inch rear. So a 3" lift. I installed 285 70 17s. It already had spacer/adapters so they fit nice.

View attachment 315568
You’ll need to cycle your suspension and add the right bumpstop with 3” lift and 33’s. Probably need around 3” bumpstop and ride may be harsh, but cycling will tell you everything you need to know.