Questions regarding NV3550 and 241OR swap into 97 SE

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
So I'm in the process of doing a transmission swap on my 97 SE. I'm going to the NV3550 with the NV341OR but for now I'm keeping my stock axels. Can I use the driveshafts from the Rubi that pair with the NV341OR or will I need to order something special from Adams or elsewhere? If I remember correctly, I should be running the Dana 30 in the front and Dana 35 in the rear (though I haven't exactly checked, but I doubt the previous owner did anything axel related since they were even bragging about their Rough Country lift when I got the TJ). Thanks in advance.

Your SE will definitely have a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear unless someone changed them out.

That transmission is from a 4.0 however, and therefore the bell housing is going to not mate up to your 4 cylinder (I'm pretty sure of this).

So, I'm not sure how you go about solving that one, but it's not going to be a direct bolt-on.

As for the Rubicon driveshafts, the front should work I believe, but the rear is either too short or too long, I can't recall which one it was. @Kevin E knows I think.

More on the transmission not fitting here:
https://high-impact.net/nv3550_ax5replmt

Taken from that page:

"The NV3550 was the transmission that superceded the AX15. It comes in Jeeps 2000-2005 with a 4.0L engine. It is generally considered a significantly better tranny than the quite decent AX15. It is rated conservatively at 300 ft lbs. We use them regularly behind small block V8s and the are reliable.

What you are up against in the conversion: The 2.5L motor has a very different bolt pattern than the 4.0L, and the AX5 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the NV3550. A second difference is that the NV3550 is about 2” longer than the AX5. Also, the AX5 has a 21 spline output shaft, while the 3550 has a 23 spline shaft."

Ya, I'm doing an engine swap with the trans as well. My 2.5 went kaput and didn't want another 2.5 to put in. I'm planning on doing a TDI swap, unless I can't find a decent TDI within the next few weeks, then I'll just go with a Magnum swap. The seller was offering to throw in the driveshafts with the trans and TC for a decent price, but didn't know if they'd mate to my axels since they were made for Dana 44's. Didn't know if the yoke was different at all between the 2 axels.

You may have an issue with the U-joints:

Rubicon's use 1330 u-joints, whereas standard TJ's use 1310 u-joints. To swap a NV231J for a NV241J (or vice versa), you'll need new driveshafts front and rear OR just a new rear driveshaft with 1310 u-joints, and a new front yoke on the transfer case. Spicer also sells a 1310/1330 conversion u-joint which may be used.

@Chris Thanks for moving the thread to where it was supposed to be, I wasn't sure where to post.

@danof76 So it sounds like I'd need the conversion kit, plus I'd probably have to alter my pinion angle as well. But at that point, wouldn't just swapping in a set of Dana 44's out of a Rubi probably be easier? Probably not at all cheaper though...

Reactions: danof76 and Chris
The front shaft will work but the differential end will need either a combination ujoint or the slip yoke changed. You will also need to have the length corrected for your setup once you have everything in place. For the rear you are better off getting a new shaft made with a double cardan, correct ujoint for the rear diff and made to the correct length.

The front shaft will work but the differential end will need either a combination ujoint or the slip yoke changed. You will also need to have the length corrected for your setup once you have everything in place. For the rear you are better off getting a new shaft made with a double cardan, correct ujoint for the rear diff and made to the correct length.
Got it... I think... Ha ha. Just for clarification, I thought the Rubi driveshafts came with a double cardan (DC) when paired with the NV341?

Got it... I think... Ha ha. Just for clarification, I thought the Rubi driveshafts came with a double cardan (DC) when paired with the NV341?

Stock the front is double cardan, the rear is a two joint with odd ujoints.

Rubicon's do not have a double cardon joint from the factory on the rear shaft. It is a standard, two joint drive shaft, with one joint at the front, and one at the rear.