Quietest muffler for tummy tuck and mid-arm?

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
I'm okay with some restriction if it means significantly quieter. I'm considering 2.5" exhaust after the Y anyway which should help alleviate any restrictions anyway.

Is this for the TJ or the LJ, I haven't kept track of which you are building? Does the mid-arm effect the space for the muffler?

LJ (I do have a mid-arm on both, and at times I also get confused on which I'm building, so good catch). The stock muffler doesn't fit with the mid-arm, but I think the LJ muffler is longer than the TJ muffler?

I run the Walker 17197. It is really quiet and inexpensive. It fills the space pretty well so I'd check the dimensions to be sure it'll fit for you. It's basically the stock LJ muffler except a little thinner. It is designed for the econoline van so it flows more than enough. It is reversible so the inlet and outlet position can be placed where they belong.

Hush Thrush in my TJ. It is nearly as quiet as stock. And it will fit your LJ far better than the mess I made on mine.

Hush Thrush in my TJ. It is nearly as quiet as stock. And it will fit your LJ far better than the mess I made on mine.
You wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of the body of that muffler would you?

You wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of the body of that muffler would you?

Not without going to measure it. But I chose it based on the dimensions on Thrush's website.

Reactions: Vasq
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

One thing to remember on the LJ is that the rear control arms are slightly longer so there isn't quite as much room as putting the TJ mid-arm on the LJ.

One suggestion I'd make and the way I found the Walker in the first place. Just use Summit Racings website to find the muffler based on the case size and inlet/outlet size and position. They have a great search. It really helped me find the right one, no way I would have just guessed econoline van. Once you find out how much room you have just pick the biggest can that fits. It really opens up your options.

The Thrush Hush arrived today and is going to fit perfectly between the belly skid and the mid-arm.

Is there any sense in adding a glasspack before the cat to further quiet things down?

I ended up with the Thrush welded. It won't be nearly as quiet as I want, I'm sure. But it fits and I was in a jam.

What's the difference between the welded and the hush?
As far as I can tell, the hush is a rolled/crimped style body with multiple passes with fiber matting (or something). The welded muffler is essentially just a welded can so it's got that going for it, but it has no matting, so the gases just pass through it like a maze.

The Thrush Hush arrived today and is going to fit perfectly between the belly skid and the mid-arm.

Is there any sense in adding a glasspack before the cat to further quiet things down?
A glass pack will more likely change the tone rather than volume. I’ve experimented with a few muffler combination and found that a glass pack in combination with the oem muffler yielded the same volume - but lower more rumbly tone than just muffler. I would add a glass pack if the tone or resonance isn’t what you want.

Last edited:
I run a spintec and although it sounds good at idle and lower rpms it roars when starting and drones at higher rpms. My wife always comments that our kids are gonna need earplugs when we're crawling around in 4 low at higher rpms. would adding a glasspack in line help quiet it down?

edit: just saw previous reply

Last edited:
does running 2 in series increase resistance and or constric the flow of the system?
Depends on the muffler. Let’s say you were to put two oem mufflers behind a blown motor, that needs more airflow than the muffler can give without resistance the a change would be obvious. On a stock engine the change is performance would most likely be as significant as removing it would improve - little to none.

Reactions: toximus