Radiator sits at 212 on the highway going 70

Newer computer controlled vehicles like to run at a higher operating temp. Even the V-8 I swapped into my TJ runs at 210* as a normal operating temp. Unless you get your PCM reprogramed to use a lower temp thermostat it can actually mess things up.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Newer computer controlled vehicles like to run at a higher operating temp. Even the V-8 I swapped into my TJ runs at 210* as a normal operating temp. Unless you get your PCM reprogramed to use a lower temp thermostat it can actually mess things up.

Actually, Ford has been using a 195 degree thermostat in their small block engines since the 1960s - 20 years before computer-controlled fuel injected vehicles were the normal.

It has been proven that it is actually better for your engine - carbureted or fuel injection - to run it hotter than it is to run it cooler.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks for the information, I was about to ask the same question, anything above 65 MPH with AC on I am running just past the 210 indicator. during the winter I swapped out the water pump, flushed radiator system, and changed thermostat with 195 deg. and it was running just under 210 with no AC. At what temperature do I need to start worrying about over heating the 4.0 engine?

Thanks for the information, I was about to ask the same question, anything above 65 MPH with AC on I am running just past the 210 indicator. during the winter I swapped out the water pump, flushed radiator system, and changed thermostat with 195 deg. and it was running just under 210 with no AC. At what temperature do I need to start worrying about over heating the 4.0 engine?

You should switch back to a stock temp thermostat as the colder t-stat can cause it to not run correctly unless you have a tune on the PCM that changes the temp the engine needs to achieve.

You should switch back to a stock temp thermostat as the colder t-stat can cause it to not run correctly unless you have a tune on the PCM that changes the temp the engine needs to achieve.
Not sure what you mean. The 195 is the proper stock thermostat for the 4.0.

Reactions: lulzpwndyah
The top of the normal range is 220.

Mine also does that with the AC not on but when I got cold air blasting and running at 70mph it’s slightly above 210 so I figured something is up but it did that for 2 hours when I’m on the interstate and it would go down to 210 when I hit stop and go traffic.

Reactions: Wildman
Mine also does that with the AC not on but when I got cold air blasting and running at 70mph it’s slightly above 210 so I figured something is up but it did that for 2 hours when I’m on the interstate and it would go down to 210 when I hit stop and go traffic.
That's perfectly normal, don't worry about it.

This is where it sits at with the cold air on while I’m idling but when I get on the highway it goes to 212 but it never touches the 0 it’ll stay between the 1 and the 0 and it did that for 5 hours on the road going 70 the all my cooling system was replaced at 100k I now have 124k
8AF1E7E0-6198-4B75-BC6E-EC1D148A5BE6.jpeg