Raising the front frame, bumper and steering box

I am planning to do a front stretch similar to the TNT kit this winter in which the steering box gets rotated upward. And I move the front tube in the frame ends my anti rock is in. I can see doing all this work for that benefit. But if I was just looking for a better approach angle I would chop a few inches off the front frame rails and relocate the tube for your Antirock. It would eliminate the gap behind the bumper that the factory sway bar goes and gain you more approach angle than raising it 1.25” I would imagine.
If I was looking for more approach angle, the TNT kit would be my go to. A 3 inch stretch to take advantage of the approach angle via the wheelbase stretch is ideal IMO.

Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts on putting an XJ Saginaw steering box on a TJ? As I understand it, the XJ box is a slower 4 turns lock to lock compared to the TJ's 3 turns. Beyond that they should be identical.

I am researching a potential project where I need to get an XJ pitman arm from the junk yard. Rather than fight with pulling the arm right there in the yard, why not just grab the whole box if I can use it later for a future replacement or even hydro assist?
IIRC, Motobilt had announced not long ago that they were bringing a front half kit to the market. It looked like it raised it 4 inches. I don't think it supported a gear box, its more setup for the owner who wants a stretch, 4 links, and full hydro.

Are you hi lined?

took me a few to really notice what that kit does to get that box level. it's a good bit of work,

your pic, with the cut mark: my hesitation would be, what the transition to reconnect would look like. not being flat and level would make it hard to mask.

if i really wanted this. i'd find the level line point on the top of the frame that negates the BL.
from that point i'd cut the frame straight down to the ground, 90*. then it's all flat material, from the point of the cut forward. nice clean tie easy enough to strong back (fishplate).
then do as that kit does and bump the frame tie tube out to the end, and then you could flatten the gear out.
taking the gear flat would push the DL connection to the pitman down and forward several inches, and then lifting the gear would get it back.
then your on the spot now for are you just tucking the gear or stretching the front end, cause those mount spots are different.

the for vote, would be your own words, it'd make your 33's like 35's, and it would make 35's like 37's. and your gears tucked away.

cons, it's a ton of work to tuck the gear if your not gonna stretch and/or your on the hook for a lot more work if your gonna stretch.

Follow up:
Motobilt released their TJ front frame half kit. Raises the front half of the frame up and in.
7B1C0283-E112-4833-923C-818AB1BD782E.jpeg
B97B888D-8688-458C-9C1E-78C14067FA5B.jpeg
5BF0D41F-7602-48BE-99F0-B9CDB5726D91.jpeg
7557D0C8-FA34-404F-BA4B-9D8978779340.jpeg
7309B50B-D26F-4081-8E83-D19D63B338BE.jpeg
67316227-01F5-4151-90B1-0EB70B7E62A8.jpeg
D37C591C-7965-4524-8E7E-EA9CB4C68920.jpeg
4172C146-68D0-4116-A1E0-E0C4F62812BA.jpeg
444BBBA2-BE9F-44DF-B34B-814AA9329932.jpeg
D5EDBA64-C3D1-419D-A809-122D471DE1D4.jpeg

4 link front, no track bar and no easy place for an Antirock.

no steering box location and it ramps up and covers 1/2 the radiator with a winch on it.

I need to find some pics of the front half of the WOD TJ tube chassis, they offer an option to allow a three link front w/ a track bar and a steering box while still maintaing the uptravel and room outside the rails for c/o’s. I would love to see how they make it all work. Then again, they do this kind of problem solving all day long.
41FD16E3-6CE9-4DBE-AB11-3B699D497B94.jpeg
E5CA9A48-AE3B-44EA-902A-3B4A0C21BB83.jpeg

Last edited:
post 42 was 20dys ago i didn't go back up that far, sorry i missed it.

i have no idea if it would cause issue, but the top 1/2 of that radiator is blocked by the PS fluid cooler the rest is covered by winch.

What are everyone's thoughts on putting an XJ Saginaw steering box on a TJ? As I understand it, the XJ box is a slower 4 turns lock to lock compared to the TJ's 3 turns. Beyond that they should be identical.

I am researching a potential project where I need to get an XJ pitman arm from the junk yard. Rather than fight with pulling the arm right there in the yard, why not just grab the whole box if I can use it later for a future replacement or even hydro assist?
Regearing the steering box... There should be some advantages to that on a crawler. Personally, I'd do the same thing retrieving parts, take the entire assembly as long as the price is the same.

that kit is so very limited to the people they are marketing to.
if they would use solid tube and take the ramp off the end they could open that up to more buyers being able to adapt it to more builds. IMO

that kit is so very limited to the people they are marketing to.
if they would use solid tube and take the ramp off the end they could open that up to more buyers being able to adapt it to more builds. IMO
Well it is a kit, so any buyer could modify it anyway they desire. Remember, we are talking custom fabrication here.

Why did they ramp the end up like that?

i'd assume, for clearance into an obstacle.
but i'd also assume that a guy running a smaller wheel could benefit more from such a mod. than someone that's running 40's would need.

but it's a stretch to justify full hydro for 35's on a TJ, or finding the room to configure a triangulated 4 link up front (LA at that). that's why the 3 link is preferred, no?

and i know a little about fabrication, and could make that into whatever i need , but that's a lot of work and $ for what i could do with much cheaper w/boxed tube. and retain my steering gear and TB.
just stating they are limiting sales to a special group of builders, not an all around mod most could incorporate.

i'm no daisy , spit it out if i'm way off base here.

Last edited:
On a stock frame TJ with a normal engine and exhaust placement, there isn't room for a triangulated 4 link.

From what I gather, JK's do a rear 3 link + track bar for similar problems of packaging.

Reactions: someguysjeep