Ran when parked

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
So on our 99 project were getting no power to the starter solenoid, she will start and run when I engage the starter with a jumper, thinking ignition actuator ??

Edit: Just informed dash lights were also intermittent

Last edited:
Here’s what happened when mine broke.

I went to drive it to work one morning, turned the key and it just started to crank then stopped and nothing. All gauges, lights, radio and fuel pump priming was normal. No clicking or anything. I suspected it was the actuator, but that night when I got home, I tested a few things. Battery voltage was good, swapped the starter relay with another one in the PDC with no change, disconnected the small wire on the starter and made a jumper with a female spade terminal hooked to the starter and touched it to the battery positive and the engine tried to crank. Checked that same wire I disconnected from the starter with a voltage meter and got nothing when turning the key. I had to wait until the next day to work on it due to my work schedule and appointments. As soon as I pulled the actuator from the ignition switch, the broken piece fell out.

You'll need a T-10 security bit.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-7#post-962803

Here’s what happened when mine broke.

I went to drive it to work one morning, turned the key and it just started to crank then stopped and nothing. All gauges, lights, radio and fuel pump priming was normal. No clicking or anything. I suspected it was the actuator, but that night when I got home, I tested a few things. Battery voltage was good, swapped the starter relay with another one in the PDC with no change, disconnected the small wire on the starter and made a jumper with a female spade terminal hooked to the starter and touched it to the battery positive and the engine tried to crank. Checked that same wire I disconnected from the starter with a voltage meter and got nothing when turning the key. I had to wait until the next day to work on it due to my work schedule and appointments. As soon as I pulled the actuator from the ignition switch, the broken piece fell out.

You'll need a T-10 security bit.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-7#post-962803

T-10 tamper proof in my toolbox, pulled the switch first and used a flat blade to rotate the switch and nada, MFSOAB. I didn't assemble the dash but I found connector 106 next to OBD port not fully seated and that did the trick.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
T-10 tamper proof in my toolbox, pulled the switch first and used a flat blade to rotate the switch and nada, MFSOAB. I didn't assemble the dash but I found connector 106 next to OBD port not fully seated and that did the trick.

Glad you found it. 🙂