inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
These have been reviewed in here several times but this was the first fact based thing I could find so thought I would share. I currently have 5100 Bilsteins on my rears with a 5.5" long arm lift & 35s. Front shocks are Fox 2.0 ready for a rebuild and think rears could be replaced. Ride beats me up and bounces pretty good but the thought of more body roll terrifies me. For those that have had both, do the Ranchos make jeep feel more "Top heavy"? Jeep takes me on winding roads to get to trail heads so needs to be able to handle both. Also any recommendations on rebuild/shock service? As always... thanks everyone for the info, enjoy the read

https://www.shocksurplus.com/blogs/...ncho-shocks-comparisons-and-real-world-advice

I have the Rancho 5000 all around on mine w/ 4” lift, and they are relatively “top heavy” in hard turns. A Swayloc did help somewhat with the body roll.

I ran the Bilstein 5100 on a different jeep, and those had significantly less body roll, but felt much more jittery.

I can’t say I’m really satisfied with my current shock setup, particularly the rears. But I don’t plan to change anything until I outboard.

I've been on the Rancho's for close to two years.
It's my DD so lots of highway, on/off ramps, clover leafs, winding roads.
3" SL. Stock sway bars. It certainly does not feel top heavy. It's not jittery, pointy or uncomfortable unless I hit a big expansion joint or a large pothole at speed. We have plenty of road issues and I have never given thought to having to change the shocks since putting the Ranch's in.
I can't lie.. I giggle like a little girl when I drive it because it shouldn't drive as good as it does..it's a Jeep.

🫢
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."

For the record, my opinion of Bilstein has probably irritated more folks than should be legal and I just use their opinion of them as a barometer to show how well they judge ride quality. "
mrblaine

I giggle like a little girl when I drive it because it shouldn't drive as good as it does..it's a Jeep.
That's sexist. Some little girls never giggle. 🥳
1698406475389.png

Last edited:
How would it be any different than a 5” SA lift?

Not inherently due to the long arms, but the other changes that go along with it.

1. Front end usually goes to a 3 link, which eliminates the UCA bind that resists articulation as well as body roll.

2. Rear end usually goes to a triangulated 4 link which also reduces UCA bind. Also, roll center is at the mid point of your track bar in a short arm. With no track bar it's determined by the link geometry. If that means it's lower than it was, you'll get more body roll.

I have a sway lock which helps. I’ve heard the bilstien on wash board comments and yes it’s brutal even aired down. They’ve been on since PO so just assumed this is how this Jeep drove. That video made it sound like there would be way more body roll, jeeps aren’t known for aero dynamics as is

I have a sway lock which helps. I’ve heard the bilstien on wash board comments and yes it’s brutal even aired down. They’ve been on since PO so just assumed this is how this Jeep drove. That video made it sound like there would be way more body roll, jeeps aren’t known for aero dynamics as is

I haven't done any formal data analysis but I think I've noticed a pattern where the people that think the RS5000x are too soft or mushy tend to have more flexy 3/4 link suspensions.

Reactions: inkedrose
I have bilsteins. They are kinda harsh for taking it easy so they encourage me to drive faster to smooth things out. Definitely need to air down to keep my fillings in! Jeep actually rides nice on washboard forest roads with the tires at 5psi but I don't usually want to go that low.

I tend to keep my jeep pretty light so that doesn't help either.

🫢
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."

For the record, my opinion of Bilstein has probably irritated more folks than should be legal and I just use their opinion of them as a barometer to show how well they judge ride quality. "
mrblaine

I share your hatred for the Bilstein 5100's. I had a set for less than 6 months and got rid of them, replace with Fox 2.0 at the time. Been a fan of Fox ever since.