Rancho RS5000X vs RS7000MT shocks?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have limited knowledge on shocks: I keep seeing references to 3.5 to 4” lifts. What if I am driving stock TJ with no lift - do I still want these shocks? (I know just enough about shocks to know I don’t like the way mine are riding and squeaking - I need an upgrade!!).

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have limited knowledge on shocks: I keep seeing references to 3.5 to 4” lifts. What if I am driving stock TJ with no lift - do I still want these shocks? (I know just enough about shocks to know I don’t like the way mine are riding and squeaking - I need an upgrade!!).

Yes, even at a stock height, you will benefit from a better shock such as one of these.

Resurrecting a thread here. Got my Rs5000x shocks yesterday. As suspected, the finish is not very good. Bushings are painted. Some parts have no paint, or it scraped off. Other parts had almost no paint. No primer. No big deal to me if they perform, as I’ll repaint them anyway.

What color on a Red TJ? Satin black with fleck or silver with fleck? Or some other suggestion?

9C23E3C0-5B1D-4A20-9776-87793A4CE8F9.jpeg

20C70F2B-997D-4339-8FE0-4DD59B9070D7.jpeg

I would go with a satin black. Don’t overthink it too much, they are just shocks. :)

Reactions: JMT
Resurrecting a thread here. Got my Rs5000x shocks yesterday. As suspected, the finish is not very good. Bushings are painted. Some parts have no paint, or it scraped off. Other parts had almost no paint. No primer. No big deal to me if they perform, as I’ll repaint them anyway.

What color on a Red TJ? Satin black with fleck or silver with fleck? Or some other suggestion?

View attachment 39011
View attachment 39012

Assuming your ZJ tie rod was painted black, I would say black over silver. Although, if you are as sloppy as me when applying anti-seize you may want to go silver.

Reactions: JMT

Black. Normally I'd say lose the boots too, but since they are red, you might like that.

I have been running the 9000XL's for years on my 99TJ and 5100's on my 05 Rubi TJ. I prefer the softer 9000s on #2 or 3 setting. On a 2012 2dr JK I had I switched from the AEV/Bilstein 5100 to the 9000's to soften it some. On the JK sections on some of the forums those who tried 9000's and 5000x said that the 5000x's seem have better dampening than the 9000 when at a comparable ride setting. They actually had a hard time describing the differences it seemed. I sold the JK so I will never know how I actually feel from personal use. I am now between giving the 5000x a shot or go with my heart and just get the savvy/fox to go with most everything else on the 99.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I have the RS 7000 MT shocks on my TJ. I also had the Bilstein 5100 on my JKU. I loved the 5100's on the JKU. They were perfect.....for the JKU.

When I lifted my TJ, I decided to go with the RS7000MT's based on the comparison from the 5100's. I think the 7000's result in a very stiff ride on the TJ. I have about 8,000 miles on the 7000's.

If I had it to do again, I would not use the 7000's on my TJ. I believe that the TJ is too light for the 7000's.

Well, here us an update on my post above.

I installed the RS 7000 MT's on my TJ at the same time my lift was installed. So with the 7000's installed, my TJ was stock with only a few modifications. I think these few modifications are important to mention when considering the ride of the 7000's and the weight of the TJ. With the initial install, the following additions added some additional weight:

Lift — very little weight increase
5 Mickey Thompson MTZ 33 x 12.50 x 15 (load range C)and 5 Pro Comp Aluminum flat black wheels — I'm guessing about 60 pounds each??? Total 300 pounds.

No hardtop
Almost always driven with no doors.

Well, last week some additional "heavy" items were added to my TJ.

Front full width steel bumper (the Smittybilt clone from Amazon) — I'm guessing 60 pounds
Rear full width steel bumper (the Smittybilt clone from Amazon) — Heavier than the front, I'm guessing 75 pounds
Smittybilt X20 winch — I'm guessing 50 pounds.
ARB front locker — I'm guessing 15 pounds
ARB rear locker — I'm guessing 20 pounds

After all the additions and whatever the added weight was, it changed the ride of my TJ with the 7000's significantly.....for the better. I would not believe that these small weight increases changed the ride so much, but it did. The ride is no longer harsh and uncomfortable but instead the ride is firm, very predictable and much, much more comfortable.

Like I said, I'm am purely guessing at the weights I listed above; but whatever the increase in weight, greatly changed the ride of the 7000's. I indicated in my very first post that I disliked the 7000's so much that I was going to change them to the 5000's; not now. I will be keeping the 7000's.

It is very evident to me that the stock TJ with 7000's are not a good combination. With some additional weight, the 7000's are just right; for me anyway.

Reactions: Bird
Anyone else running the 7000MT? Looking to get some new, longer, shocks as the 0-2" Bilsteins I have restrict quite a bit of movement from my suspension.

I actually don't think the Bilsteins ride too bad. That could be because I prefer a firmer ride, or because I don't know what good means. I do know that my TJ is not fatiguing due to the ride.

Anyone else running the 7000MT? Looking to get some new, longer, shocks as the 0-2" Bilsteins I have restrict quite a bit of movement from my suspension.

I actually don't think the Bilsteins ride too bad. That could be because I prefer a firmer ride, or because I don't know what good means. I do know that my TJ is not fatiguing due to the ride.

I have the 7000mt on my Currie 4" springs. I dont think the ride is overly harsh but I havnt had much to compare it to. I have spare tire, front and rear bumpers, steel rock rails, and a winch, so I am not a featherweight TJ either. Feels firm and predictable.

I have the 7000mt on my Currie 4" springs. I dont think the ride is overly harsh but I havnt had much to compare it to. I have spare tire, front and rear bumpers, steel rock rails, and a winch, so I am not a featherweight TJ either. Feels firm and predictable.

Hey Malo

What Rancho 7000MT part number did you use for your 4" Lift ? Could you post both part numbers for front and rear. Thanks

I had the 7000s on my TJ and turned them back in to Rancho under their 30 refund policy. They were WAY to stiff. I then installed the 5000X shocks and I'm much much happier. BTW, I have aftermarket bumpers and a winch.

I've been running the 5000x for a few weeks now and thought I'd report back a few things.

1. Love them! They ride so well and I've been a long time Bilstein fan and ran 9000x in the past as well. These are now my favourite shocks.

2. The paint on them is pathetic. I painted them before I even installed them.

3. The can is a tad wider than my past shocks and on extreme flex, they hit the coil perch which I had previously cut back for my older shocks so just want out for that.

Just to add my 2 cents....My ride is a 2004 Rubicon, 4" lift, 33" tires, winch and aftermarket bumper on the front, aftermarket bumper and spare tire carrier on the rear. In other words, heavy. I bought it 3 years ago. the first thing I did was change the shocks to Bilstein 5100s. I was happy with those until I joined this forum. Then I read the stories saying that with 5100s, you could drive over a quarter and tell if it was heads up or tails up. :) Once that was in my mind, I decided it was good info. My Jeep was a rough ride, especially over small bumps. I switched to the Rancho 5000x shocks a few months ago. It is a night and day difference. The Ranchos give a much better ride.

Regarding the adjustable shocks, for me that would be overkill. The only reason to dial them up off road would be if I was going to go faster. Hell, I'm so lazy I don't get out to disconnect the sway bar or let air out of the tires. I just wheel for a while and then look for BBQ. :)

i-gdtNhL8-X2.jpg