Rattle sound from front end

I don’t see any rust coming from them really & describe the sound you heard?
It was the same sound that you’re describing. We first heard it when going slowly while turning the wheel hard to the right. My ‘97 has 144k miles so I just ordered the new parts. I’m going to take on the drive shaft u joints soon. I’ll have to read up on what Spicer part number I’ll need.

When you had that issue could you replicate it by jacking up jeep and rotating the wheels by hand? I’ve done that to mine and I can’t hear any sounds coming from the u joint or anything

Lately I’ve been getting a rattle sound from front of jeep when slowing down and coming to a stop. More prominent when turning. Not sure what it could be caused by. All steering components are tight and greased. Was thinking maybe bad wheel bearings in front or maybe axle u joints. Anyone have any ideas?

I chased a front end rattle for months and it was the tail pipe hitting the gas tank

I had an annoying rattle for a few years. It literally drove me insane trying to find it. Tore my dash apart several times with no luck.

Was doing some routine maintenance and wanted to clean out my cowl vents and noticed the passenger side bracket was rusted and shot, so I welded in a new one. Figured out that was the source of my rattle.

Not saying that's your issue at all... but I know many chase rattles on their TJ's and this was mine.

49112D78-CEDF-442A-B2EB-5DBAF4319D90_zpso9h7lq05.jpg

7C6168F4-E41F-4B22-B90F-57C5C952F0C1_zpsxbrs4dng.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED, The problem which sounded like it was from the front was actually from the rear. I inspected the rear control arms and I noticed the adjustment nut on the adjustable arm was seized on and wasn’t holding the arm tight. It was creating the thumbing sound across the frame I guess and sounded like it was right in front of the jeep. But glad to finally have found the solution

Reactions: Stox5225
Karma warning: change your u-joints and wheel hub bearings anyway. All this discussion jinxed those parts. They are going to fail quickly and in a location furthest from tools and parts stores. Not funny dude, this a real bad juju you can't ignore!

^^ That’s wicked paranoid. Spend the money when they break. It’s a Jeep. Nothing like my 3.5 ton Dodge. My unit bearings on my Dodge on my driver side shit itself and I still got a solid 50 miles out of it. I wound up needing to replace the rotors because of it, but still. You’ll hear things begin failing unlike I did on my truck ...... this is nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of any major issues with the 12V Cummins, or the 2nd Gen. Dodge Rams, so I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a stock suspension it might be the front driveshaft hitting the downpipe of the exhaust. Mine did this, you can remove the front driveshaft to check it out. If that is what it is it's a great time for an upgrade!

Lately I’ve been getting a rattle sound from front of jeep when slowing down and coming to a stop. More prominent when turning. Not sure what it could be caused by. All steering components are tight and greased. Was thinking maybe bad wheel bearings in front or maybe axle u joints. Anyone have any ideas?
Now raise the wheels off the ground and check for looseness. Twice. Jack once from the axle, once from the frame.

STOP-STOP-STOP. The "sound" you hear is the front brake backing plates. It is a loud metallic scrapy chirpy, supermarket shopping cart being pushed on a concrete sidewalk, Freddy Krueger claw type sound. Happens while you are driving at any speed. It may make the "sound" when you are driving straight ahead or during any degree of a turn. But if you if only hear it while you are turning right, it's the LEFT side backing plate. If you only hear it while turning left, it's the RIGHT backing plate.

Why is it suddenly happening? The backing plate(s) has somehow warped, either by corrosion, or heat, impact, etc. and it's scraping against the back side of your rotor.

Temporary fix: Crawl underneath the front end, locate where the scraping is and CAREFULLY pull/bend the sharp rusty, backing plate away from the rotor. (Might break, chip, disintegrate, etc.) Check condition of suspension while you're down there.

Permanent fix: Replace the backing plates. Still check bearings, and suspension components.

***Note: The temporary fix may prove to be a permanent.

Good luck!!!