Rattling SRC Rear Tire Carrier and Bumper Repair

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
So I had bought the Smittybilt SRC Classic Rear Bumper in July of last year. https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/11.htm I had read a ton of reviews about how the bumper rattles a lot and a few other things such as wrong sized bolts. I knew about the bolts before so I had already bought the bolts I would need to install the bumper. I also used the rubber bumpers that were used with the original spare tire mount and moved them to where they would be behind a few points on the carrier itself. For awhile the bumper did not rattle much and I was overall happy with the way it worked and stayed mostly silent but for a bumper that was so cheap, I wasn't going to complain. But about a month ago It really started to rattle a lot. Especially going down dirt roads where my girlfriends grandpa said it sounded like I had a bowling ball in my backseat. I decided to move the bumper around to find where it was rattling the most and I came down to this conclusion. The main place I found that it was rattling was the latching mechanism. If you are unfamiliar with what this is, it is a metal block that has a wedge on the bottom with one hole for the pin to go through and a threaded hole for the lever to thread into. This block is held together by a spring that goes above this block and the lever makes it to where the block does not fall out. This block was rattling up a storm against the carrier that housed it. I first tried to get little felt pads and put on the block to where it wouldn't be metal on metal contact and tat did work to quiet the bumper but made the process of lifting the block out of the hole a very tough process. So I called Smittybilt and they actually sent me out a brand new latch mechanism with everything so here is my plan. I bought this 1/16" foam padding off of amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZDMHGX/?tag=wranglerorg-20) and I am going to take the block and shave it down enough to put the block with the foam padding in and be able to move it freely with minimal rattling. I wanted to make this thread so other people with this bumper can see how to make it a little quieter. I will be updating this thread as I do this and hopefully get it to stop rattling!

Given all the rattles, problems, wrong size bolts, the extra work you have had to put into it to fix the problems, etc., do you still feel the cost savings achieved by going with a Smittybilt were worth it in 20-20 hindsight?

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've recommended people not buy Smittybilt products for reasons like you wrote about. I spent significantly more $$$ for my present OR-Fab spare tire carrier but I haven't had to do a thing to it in the nearly ten years since installing it. It's rattle-free and was built so solid that it still swings directly into the driver's side latch with no need to lift it to get it perfectly positioned into its latch.

Last edited:
I wish I had done my research prior to buying my XRC bumper. It rattles constantly and the way the latch is designed traps moisture, causing the handle to rust in a closed position.

Given all the rattles, problems, wrong size bolts, the extra work you have had to put into it to fix the problems, etc., do you still feel the cost savings achieved by going with a Smittybilt were worth it in 20-20 hindsight?

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've recommended people not buy Smittybilt products for reasons like you wrote about. I spent significantly more $$$ for my present OR-Fab spare tire carrier but I haven't had to do a thing to it in the nearly ten years since installing it.
Well at the time, I had to find a cheap solution for being able to put my spare tire back on and have a hitch receiver because I was going to the beach that next month and needed to have a spare and have the extra storage space of a rear rack. Eventually I would like to have a better rear bumper but for the time being, it works its just loud haha

I put clear silicone inside the edges of the block where the latch goes and that has helped so far. It's only been a couple of months though and I expect the silicone won't last and I'll have to try something else.

I saw someone else had cut pieces of rubber and glued them inside the block, which is what I'll probably do next if/when the silicone falls apart.

I wouldn't have bought this tire carrier but it came with the jeep and it works well enough that I'm not going to be replacing it any time soon. Other than the noise, it's been fine for me so far.

I put clear silicone inside the edges of the block where the latch goes and that has helped so far. It's only been a couple of months though and I expect the silicone won't last and I'll have to try something else.

I saw someone else had cut pieces of rubber and glued them inside the block, which is what I'll probably do next if/when the silicone falls apart.

I wouldn't have bought this tire carrier but it came with the jeep and it works well enough that I'm not going to be replacing it any time soon. Other than the noise, it's been fine for me so far.
You put the silicon on the bumper side where the block sits? I agree besides the rattling I have been happy with the bumper.

Hmmmm. I have an XRC bumper and tire carrier and have had no problems with it (or with the front bumper). No squeaks, groans, rattles or anything else. I carry a fair amount of junk on it too.

Reactions: 1Blacktj
Hmmmm. I have an XRC bumper and tire carrier and have had no problems with it (or with the front bumper). No squeaks, groans, rattles or anything else. I carry a fair amount of junk on it too.
See many people have had good and bad experiences. To be honest for the money, I don't think it is a bad bumper.

See many people have had good and bad experiences. To be honest for the money, I don't think it is a bad bumper.
Just keep your eye on it. This is what happened to one Smittybilt bumper's spare tire carrier.

Reactions: 1Blacktj
You put the silicon on the bumper side where the block sits? I agree besides the rattling I have been happy with the bumper.

Yeah, I ran a bead all the way around the square block where the wedge goes, thin enough to not get in the way so it hasn't caused any problems closing it.

If it starts rattling again I might just switch to the exogate setup and remove the tire carrier part of the smittybilt entirely. I wouldn't replace the bumper for another tire carrier, but it would be nice to not have the additional gate to open in order to access the trunk area anyway.

Yeah, I ran a bead all the way around the square block where the wedge goes, thin enough to not get in the way so it hasn't caused any problems closing it.

If it starts rattling again I might just switch to the exogate setup and remove the tire carrier part of the smittybilt entirely. I wouldn't replace the bumper for another tire carrier, but it would be nice to not have the additional gate to open in order to access the trunk area anyway.
I'll have to try that when I have some time to not drive my jeep. Right now I have foam around wherre the wedge sits in but it rubs the bottom of the wedge so maybe i can run some silicon on the bottom and thatll help fix part of the issue.

I have a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with the tire carrier. Mine is also loose at the pivot causing a rattle. I contacted Smittybilt via their website asking if they have a rebuild kit I can buy for the pivot. After them asking me for a picture and then my address, they sent me a complete hardware kit to rebuild the pivot and latch for no charge. Great customer service in my opinion.
In the photo above with the carrier in the back seat, I think there is more to the story. Stuff like that does not break in that manner without bolts being loose, or the carrier open and the Jeep moving. If everything it clamped and tightened, that failure should not occur. My bumper and pivot is of a different design so maybe that is the issue too. I know my bumper pivot extends down into the bottom of the bumper and there is a jam bolt that counters the weight of the open carrier.

I have a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with the tire carrier. Mine is also loose at the pivot causing a rattle. I contacted Smittybilt via their website asking if they have a rebuild kit I can buy for the pivot. After them asking me for a picture and then my address, they sent me a complete hardware kit to rebuild the pivot and latch for no charge. Great customer service in my opinion.
In the photo above with the carrier in the back seat, I think there is more to the story. Stuff like that does not break in that manner without bolts being loose, or the carrier open and the Jeep moving. If everything it clamped and tightened, that failure should not occur. My bumper and pivot is of a different design so maybe that is the issue too. I know my bumper pivot extends down into the bottom of the bumper and there is a jam bolt that counters the weight of the open carrier.
Mine isn't loose at the pivot but i do agree that they're customer service was very good. I called them and they didn't even ask for a picture.

Any updates gentlemen?

I have the SRC tubular bumper from SB. Generally just putting it on to carry my spare and keep my Jeep safe in fender benders. Installing both front and back. But just wondering what if any other solutions you used to stop the rattle?

I got the rear bumper used. And kind of assume the PO did not like it. So I also assume it rattles. Although sitting in my garage I can't get it to rattle. Or see anyplace that it's loose. It seems very solid. Hopefully I won't have this issue at all.

It's rated at either 5000 or 7000lbs towing. Did any of you use bumper reinforcement plates? Is it necessary? I can't imagine towing anything over 2000lbs. So thinking the reinforcement plates are overkill. Unless they do anything to help with the rattle. I have read that they help make the entire bumper and tire carrier more solid.

I don't mind the complaints about these bumpers. I'm not a rock crawler. And don't go offroad. Old logging roads is about the extent of my 4 wheeling. Or in the snow. So a budget bumper I picked up for $100 fits the bill. It's literally for protecting my front and rear ends from damage in a wreck. More than trying to carry a heavy spare cross country. And for $100 if it doesn't work out I'm fine with it.

I of course would love a Dirtworx or other better brand of body armor. But when I added up a professional level set of bumpers and rock sliders (for side steps so my wife can get in) it came out to well over a grand. And I need better wheels and tires for that amount of money. So for about $500 I've got tubular bumpers and rock sliders protecting my Jeep. Not from rocks or hard 4 wheeling. Just simple driving around town. My Jeep was already hit once. And I'm afraid of totallying it with to much body damage. Wreck my bumper and I'm out a $100. Wreck the back of my Jeeps sheet metal. And I'm maybe out a Jeep. Or at the very least a very expensive repair.

I think it comes down to your intended use. For my intended use. These bumpers are great. But if I was offroading I would "buy once, cry once" and get Dirtworx for sure.

The silicone bead didn't last very long for me. It helped for a while but eventually wore down too much. I kept the bumper part but removed the tire carrier and replaced it with a MORryde/exogate and it's much better. It's quiet, tire sits lower so I can use my rear view mirror, and the gate opens and closes very smoothly. I ordered from buyanyrvpart.com for $302 after shipping. I didn't want to spend that kind of money to fix the rattle but I was drunk and frustrated one night so there it is.

It's rated at either 5000 or 7000lbs towing. Did any of you use bumper reinforcement plates? Is it necessary? I can't imagine towing anything over 2000lbs. So thinking the reinforcement plates are overkill. Unless they do anything to help with the rattle. I have read that they help make the entire bumper and tire carrier more solid.

It was more peace of mind, that some gung-ho dude in a lifted and wheel well cut Cherokee wasn't going to go yanking off the back of the frame when trying to get me out of a predicament my first time on dirt, that what I may or may not try to pull with the hitch. I'd rather have the bumper tweaked than the frame and I think for $50 or whatever I spent on the tie-ins plus getting all the holes aligned and broken rusted bolts drilled and tapped would be worth it.