RCV axles vs u-joint axles

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'd like to have an educated discussion on this. When choosing front axle shafts, aside from the price, I can't see any reason whatsoever that a traditional u-joint front axle shaft would be better than a RCV front axle shaft.

The CV doesn't bind up under any circumstance, it keeps dirt out better with the CV boot, and RCV has a damn good warranty on them.

Is this a landslide victory for the RCVs, or do the traditional u-joint style axle shafts have anything going for them that would make them more ideal than a RCV axle shaft?

I personally see the expensive RCV shafts being installed to solve a non-existent problem where the TJ's axle shafts are concerned. The OE Spicer 5-297 and 5-760x u-joints are sealed and in my experience, they don't bind either unless someone has stupidly removed the steering stop bolts. At least I've personally never seen the need for them or even once thought the RCVs would be a desirable or nice upgrade for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawghouse and Chris
Good point. I've never actually had a u-joint bind either. RCV likes to mention the binding u-joints in their marketing.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Good point. I've never actually had a u-joint bind either. RCV likes to mention the binding u-joints in their marketing.

I don't know what marketing material you are referring to, but remember that RCV sells their products to more than just Dana 30 users.

Do you need RCV shafts in a Dana 30? Probably not. But they are a high quality product that has great customer support behind it.

Reactions: Chris
I upgraded to RCVs because I have had incidents where I was about to break u-joints and steering system. If you can afford them, you will know when the day comes they were worth it. For me I was going down a very rough mountain with ledges and with Jeeps weight on front end and steering at the same time, I got bound up on a rock and couldn’t steer out of it wo breaking something.
It’s like anything else, when you’ve made item “x” better, something else is likely a weak link now.
Most of the time you won’t notice the need...until you do

I upgraded to RCVs because I have had incidents where I was about to break u-joints and steering system. ...

..., I got bound up on a rock and couldn’t steer out of it wo breaking something.
What indications did you have that you were about the break something, but avoided it?

Front driver side wheel cocked in a bad spot, down hill with weight of Jeep behind me making a high stress situation on entire front end, including axles
As a rule, anytime I recognize a potential problem, I put Jeep back in my shop and upgrade. Eventually you get to where you want to be...or broke

Reactions: Bill M.
Front driver side wheel cocked in a bad spot, down hill with weight of Jeep behind me making a high stress situation on entire front end, including axles
As a rule, anytime I recognize a potential problem, I put Jeep back in my shop and upgrade. Eventually you get to where you want to be...or broke

Were there warning signs other than a feeling deep inside? My point in asking is that nothing actually broke. It sounds like you only thought something might break. Which is fine. My Jeep is also unnecessarily overbuilt for reliability. But I'm not too concerned about my cromo axle shafts with u-joints.

I resently upgrade my front axles. (also upgraded rear but that's not what this is about) My choice came down to RCVs vs Revoltion American made axles. I felt the RCVs were all around better but are a little overkill for a tj rubi with stock drivetrain. Heck even the Revolution Axles are probably overkill for what I will use them for but you can't put a price on piece of mind. I ended up going with the Revolution because of "trail maintainability". Although nothing should ever go wrong with RCVs, if there is an issue the ball joints need to be popped and the spindle has to be removed to remove the axle shaft. Even though the Revolution U-joints and ears are larger than stock they still fit through the hub bearing whole just like the stock axles. On a side note I stuck with 27spline outers because the hubs can be found at any auto parts store and I can use my stock axles as trail spares if I get in a "tight spot". Not to say these are the best reasons for making my decision, but they are my best reasons....

My revolutions did take a little Dremel creativity to get the u-joints in the shafts and allow the shafts to turn without hitting the flanges on the unit bearing flange bolts. This just proves to me that revolution made the shafts as beefy as they could and still fit. Don't let this deter you, if you have enough mechanical ability to put together and change a front axle shaft you'll figure out how to make these fit.
The picture was before I notched out the outside of the joint hole so the ujoint would drop down further. (this was approved and recommend by Revolution)

20180407_112526.jpg