Re-gear Quotes: Inflation?

I would gladly pay that price for a regear. Around here they are quoting $2800.00 and up with customer supplied parts.
I am more than capable of doing the job myself. But I no longer work for a shop, and don't have access to a press. My homeowner's ASSociation doesn't allow you to work on vehicles. I just got a 75.00 fine for installing my Black Magic brakes on my kids XJ.

Burn the HOA down...after you sell your home.

Yukon gear is running some type of special with some of their install shops soon. More info and locations on their web site. Just an option for you. Also call some shops a bit away from the bay to see if prices are a bit better.

Guys break it down into labor rate and hours charged or your comparisons are kinda useless. Shop rate is what it is for any given place. The red flags are in the amount of time and materials/markup
charged

Good to know! Yep, have my parts list. I'm around $700 all-in for the regear (though I already had some of the parts). All of the searches I've done cite $1,200-$1,500, but those are likely not from CA. There's just too much of a price gap for the shop to do it, which is fine and I understand they are running a business. As I mentioned, I enjoy working on the Jeep myself and don't mind this job. More money to put toward lockers later.

Man, if I was in there re-gearing, I’d do the lockers too. That way you don’t have to set up the gears twice.

Reactions: RINC
Recently had mine done at Collin County Offroad in McKinney, TX.

Upgraded from 3.08 to 4.56, they supplied the gears, sealant, gear oils, new carrier, and 33-tooth speedo gear.

Also at that time installed a lunchbox locker in front and Truetrac in the rear which I provided.

Total bill $2,439.35.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you and as a first timer it ended up taking me many days of work, research, work, research, plus extra $$ for tools, press, etc., to do my own gears. If it's your DD and you need it to get to work M-F then be sure you have a backup plan (eg rental car, carpool) if Sunday evening comes around and you're still not done. If it's your spare vehicle, then go for it!

Not my DD, but good callout! My TJ can be down as long as needed.

Man, if I was in there re-gearing, I’d do the lockers too. That way you don’t have to set up the gears twice.

Yes, this is a good point. I don't mind re-setting the backlash. It's the pinion set up that is more challenging for me. I also don't have any urgency for getting a locker, so I very well may have the open differential for a while. If and when I decide to upgrade, I'll go the S35 route and then reset the backlash upon installation.

Reactions: Rickyd
I just read if your running 3.73 gears you will need a new rear carrier and 3.08 or 3.54 you will need front and rear new carriers under tech. notes on the Yukon website. Can anybody explain this please?

I paid 1250 for 5.13 Yukon gears in Riverside about 3 years ago. paid 1300 last year for Yukon 4.88 in a XJ, same shop. Same shop quoted me 1300 for my wife's JKU. Went to a local shop for a quote b/c Riverside is a drive for me, they quoted me 3600 for the JKU.

Reactions: L J
Usually around $1500 here. Sound like the shops in your area are using the same guy. He's probably an outside vendor and is charging them more because of the area.

Yes, this is a good point. I don't mind re-setting the backlash. It's the pinion set up that is more challenging for me. I also don't have any urgency for getting a locker, so I very well may have the open differential for a while. If and when I decide to upgrade, I'll go the S35 route and then reset the backlash upon installation.

Yep,swapping carriers is easy so long as you have a good selection of shims