Rear axle chatter

woodmaster58

Hi
I purchased an '06 TJ last fall, knew I wanted too start fresh with all fluids and brakes so took it to my trusted mechanic as I am not a gearhead
Had to replace the rearbearing and seal on passenger side. Now when turning left under torque I get about 6 chatter sounds coming from the repair.
Took it back he said your jeep has a limited slip Diff. so he drained the diff. refilled with synthetic and a "super slick" additive...still happening
Any ideas out there thanks

Now when turning left under torque I get about 6 chatter sounds coming from the repair
That is an oddly specific amount of chatter. Please elaborate more.
Took it back he said your jeep has a limited slip Diff. so he drained the diff. refilled with synthetic and a "super slick" additive...still happening
A limited-slip or "Trac-Loc" as Jeep branded it, is merely a set of clutches that reside within your rear differential that try their ever loving best to transfer power to both rear wheels equally to help improve traction in slippery conditions. When these clutches wear out, your differential simply acts like an open differential and adding a "Super Slick" additive will not help.

The Super Slick additive was more than likely what's called a friction modifier required for use in differentials with limited slip carriers.

A worn limited slip can cause chatter, but usually it would happen in both directions, not just left or right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
If it didn’t do it before the bearing change then the mechanic likely screwed up the install. As turning left would load the passenger side axle/bearing a bit more.

And for heck sake if he did the passenger outer bearing and seal why not do the driver at the same time? Maybe even the pinion seal.

-Mac

And for heck sake if he did the passenger outer bearing and seal why not do the driver at the same time? Maybe even the pinion seal.

-Mac
You don't replace a head gasket because the oil pan gasket is leaking, do you?

So why would you replace the left side axle seal or pinion seal if they are not leaking?