Rear brakes locking up first

TJ Starting

The Seven Slots of the World
Supporting Member
Just picked up another new to me TJ. Noticed this evening while driving that when I hit the brakes good the rears lockup. Not sure how much the front brakes are even doing. Any ideas on what's going on?

Just picked up another new to me TJ. Noticed this evening while driving that when I hit the brakes good the rears lockup. Not sure how much the front brakes are even doing. Any ideas on what's going on?
Do you know if or does it look like anyone has worked on the proportioning valve (block with brake lines attached) or is it untouched ?
Has a disc brake conversion been performed on your 00 ?
IF not... then you may need to look at the drum brake adjustments...

Reactions: TJ Starting
Do you know if or does it look like anyone has worked on the proportioning valve (block with brake lines attached) or is it untouched ?
Has a disc brake conversion been performed on your 00 ?
IF not... then you may need to look at the drum brake adjustments...
Still rear drums. I'm assuming the proportioning valve is near the master cylinder?

Could be the pads are full of brake fluid. Could be the ebrake is dragging. Could be cruddy fluid. I had 3 corners lock up due to cruddy fluid. Needed to COMPLETELY flush out the entire system. (I have all 4 disks)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Propositioning valve seems to be unmolested. I'll have to check the pads and fluid over lunch.