Rear bumper bolt size?

MRChiefE7

TJ Enthusiast
I need to find bolts that would go into the underside of the frame to hold a stock bumper onto the jeep. PO replaced the stock bumper with tube type. I tried same m12-1.75 X 35mm from home depot but they did not fit. Does anyone know what size these bolt would be. The local dealership parts department come up with a p/n 6505381AA but stated that they are no-longer available.

For some reason my notes reflect a SAE bolt.
• (2) Hex Cap Screw, Grade 8, Coarse Thread, 7/16"-14 x 1-3/4" - (2) small washers, (2) big washers, torqued to 57 ft. lbs.

Reactions: martinjg98
Might be a difference in year. When I pulled mine, 11/16 didn't fit, 18mm (wrench sizes) did. Thus, I believe mine to be M12. My skid plate bolts are also Metric. I believe earlier years may have used Imperial...

I just ordered some from Fastenal this morning. I have a 2004 TJ and the bolt size is M12-1.75x45mm. I removed my bolts yesterday and they were shot. Darn lucky they did not snap. Make sure you get 10.9 grade as that is what came from the factory.

Lou

Well I got a SAE & metric tap & die set today from Harbor Freight. Using the thread gage that came with it I was able to determine that the correct thread size is in fact 12m-1.75. So I'm off the home depot to get two 12m-1.75 x 35mm bolts to mount the trailer hitch that we removed from the grandson jeep when we installed new bumper.

Hi MRChiefE7,

The rating on the OEM bolts is 10.9 which is similar to grade 8. Make sure you get grade 8. I may need to pickup a metric tap and die set at HF to clean up the nuts in cross member. Taking out those bolts really a PITA.

Lou