Puffer

If I can jump in on the thread and ask for a little help I would appreciate it.

I'm conducting research on the topic of bushings. Rubber, Clevite and Poly.
So, after reading the poly reviews, we are looking for a smoother ride. I'm tossing out Poly now, thanks.

This is for my sons 2003 stock height TJ.
We don't have vibrations, or death wobble but we do have some serious rear end sway going on. We bought the TJ in October 2017, its 15 years old and needs to be gone through. All the liquids, brakes, tune and shocks have been done.

1. Does anyone know of a complete REAR Clevite bushing kit? I have seen some individual Clevite bushing parts but not an entire kit.

2. Is there a OEM or better rubber bushing kit that is superior to the other manufacturers? If so, I would appreciate your experiences and opinions on manufactured kits.

I only want to replace the rear bushings once and not regret my decision on choosing the wrong manufacturer, product, or rubber.

Thanks in advance,

Puffer
Aurora, IL

Exactly what bushings are you wanting to replace? Factory control arms, aftermarket control arms, sway bar, shocks?

2003 Rubicon

Clevite is a brand name. Stock bushings are rubber and generally last a long tie. Poly is less forgiving and can squeak. Getting the bushings out can be a pita. The usual recommendation is to buy a new set of Crown arms. A few more bucks for a lot less headache. If you go that route you will only need to front upper bushings, which are also a pita. The bushing brackets are part of the axle housing so you don't have a choice with those.

Reactions: Puffer and Kiwi TJ
Exactly what bushings are you wanting to replace? Factory control arms, aftermarket control arms, sway bar, shocks?

2003 Rubicon
I’m thinking all of them. Everything on the jeep is factory. I really want to tighten this whole thing up.

It’s hard to find a complete rubber bushing kit, everything is Poly.

For the factory control arms, just buy new complete arms. The front upper axle bushings use Cleavite bushings.

I used poly bushings for the sway bars.

If you are replacing body mounts, stay with factory rubber. Same with the engine and transmission.

I don't know if there is a complete kit of any kind.

2003 Rubicon

For the factory control arms, just buy new complete arms. The front upper axle bushings use Cleavite bushings.

I used poly bushings for the sway bars.

If you are replacing body mounts, stay with factory rubber. Same with the engine and transmission.

I don't know if there is a complete kit of any kind.

2003 Rubicon
How does the poly on the sway bar feel? Tight? Makes sense to buy arms if they are that cheap.

How does the poly on the sway bar feel? Tight? ...

My sway bar bushings were worn and sloppy creating a noticeable dead spot in the control of body roll, so anything would have been an improvement. Poly was cheap and easy to find. In that particular application, it probably makes little difference what you choose to use, as long as it is a tight fit.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited: