Rear disc brakes on a TJ?

I don't think anyone is suggesting either or, but rather and. Coming to a halt using a combination of engine breaking and brakes. While I agree making clear to those behind you that you are slowing via brake lights is important, it is also sensible to be in the correct gear at any time to ensure you are fully in control. Coming to a junction and slowing from 60mph to zero staying in fifth gear until you stop means you have no option to increase your speed once you have slowed beyond the useable range of fifth.
They will never understand! they all got their drivers licences in an Auto! and they will never understand there is a good reason why in UK Europe Australia you cannot drive a manual vehicle by law unless you have a manual licence and have taken a Manuel driving test.lol

Not possible to wear the throw-out bearing less regardless of how you use it. Not possible to wear the pressure plate diaphragm fingers less regardless of how you use it. Not possible to wear the clutch master, clutch slave, clutch fork, or clutch fork pivot ball less regardless of how you use them. If you move the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch, they all wear every single time and that happens without fail.

The only things you can save depending on how you use them are the flywheel, pressure plate face and clutch disc.
???? lol

They will never understand! they all got their drivers licences in an Auto! and they will never understand there is a good reason why in UK Europe Australia you cannot drive a manual vehicle by law unless you have a manual licence and have taken a Manuel driving test.lol
I would not want to ever live in a country where I needed a different license to drive a manual trans passenger car. No one needs that level of bullshit in their life.

I would not want to ever live in a country where I needed a different license to drive a manual trans passenger car. No one needs that level of bullshit in their life.
Not sure I’m enjoying living in the one we are currently in but I’m yet to find a better one.

I don't think anyone is suggesting either or, but rather and. Coming to a halt using a combination of engine breaking and brakes. While I agree making clear to those behind you that you are slowing via brake lights is important, it is also sensible to be in the correct gear at any time to ensure you are fully in control. Coming to a junction and slowing from 60mph to zero staying in fifth gear until you stop means you have no option to increase your speed once you have slowed beyond the useable range of fifth.
Huh? You don’t need to engine brake to make that happen, you should always be in the right gear, doesn’t mean you need to engine brake to accomplish it. Heel toe would be a better option, granted I find the pedal layout in a jeep a little trickery then a BMW, so I don’t bother. At the end of the day the concept of engine braking to save brakes is assbackwards.

Reactions: machoheadgames
You don’t know what you’re talking about, and can’t even spell manual the same way twice.

That said, I’m a “millennial” that lived in Europe, drove legally, and managed just fine all in a manual. Regardless of all that, I still know it’s cheaper and easier to service my brakes than transmission and clutch. I really don’t get what you’re trying to argue.

Last edited:
Easy. Just learn to drive a proper car first; the licence then covers you for auto as well. Driving an auto is a piece of cake, but driving a manual requires some skill. That’s why our licensing works the way it does.

I followed a driving school car a week or so ago which only taught in electric cars. Now there is a waste of time.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Huh? You don’t need to engine brake to make that happen, you should always be in the right gear, doesn’t mean you need to engine brake to accomplish it. Heel toe would be a better option, granted I find the pedal layout in a jeep a little trickery then a BMW, so I don’t bother. At the end of the day the concept of engine braking to save brakes is assbackwards.
A fair point. But based on the point made by Blaine that would not save you from clutch wear, IIUC he is saying any time the clutch is used it causes wear in some components, heel and toe changes would not address that. So it seems there may be more than two schools of thought here.

Last edited:
Road deaths per billion kilometers driven...
Australia: 5.2
UK: 3.4
US: 7.3
Mexico: 27.5

I include Mexico as an additional comparison because it is reputedly one of the easiest places in the world to get a licence, maybe a more rigourous system of testing is a contributory factor to saving lives.

Reactions: Succentor
Shows your true level of expertise I am afraid but that's OK with me.

Your LOL tells me that once again your grasp of mechanical functions is highly flawed. Please explain to the class what part of what I said was incorrect.
Seemed a bit jumbled to me? a Clutch system is a wearing part of normal vehicle operation and you were stating the obvious. But brake maintenance only over always the lesser clutch maintenance is an idiots dream who cant really drive properly.
I hope that explained it enough if not I will continue!

You don’t know what you’re talking about, and can’t even spell manual the same way twice.

That said, I’m a “millennial” that lived in Europe, drove legally, and managed just fine all in a manual. Regardless of all that, I still know it’s cheaper and easier to service my brakes than transmission and clutch. I really don’t get what you’re trying to argue.
I will LOL you even though the Blain thinks its an inferior thing to do

Bumper car ( dodgem car) theories on how to drive a manual car LMFAO almost as bad as telling people with TJ,s you need to change gear at over 3500 revs Duh! :)

A fair point. But based on the point made by Blaine that would not save you from clutch wear, IIUC he is saying any time the clutch is used it causes wear in some components, heel and toe changes would not address that. So it seems there may be more than two schools of thought here.
My point is and will be that his position is highly flawed that you can magically save wear on clutch components if you are a licensed user with proper skills. Mechanically, there are specific parts that wear every single time you disengage the clutch no matter how skilled you are. From the barest beginner to the most skilled clutch user, that won't change and there is nothing anyone can do about that except not use the clutch.

Reactions: rasband
Road deaths per billion kilometers driven...
Australia: 5.2
UK: 3.4
US: 7.3
Mexico: 27.5

I include Mexico as an additional comparison because it is reputedly one of the easiest places in the world to get a licence, maybe a more rigourous system of testing is a contributory factor to saving lives.
So your position is that because we don't license manual owners separately we have a higher number of folks killed on our roads, is that correct? If you believe that, you're an idiot.