Rear disc brakes on a TJ?

Seemed a bit jumbled to me? a Clutch system is a wearing part of normal vehicle operation and you were stating the obvious. But brake maintenance only over always the lesser clutch maintenance is an idiots dream who cant really drive properly.
I hope that explained it enough if not I will continue!
I’m starting to wonder if you are old enough to drive?

Do you also engine brake an Auto transmission?

Having driven manuals all my life, ranging from sports cars to crane trucks not once did I every think I should engine brake to save my brakes.

I bet you use the shift indicator light on the dash to tell you when to shift too!

Seemed a bit jumbled to me? a Clutch system is a wearing part of normal vehicle operation and you were stating the obvious. But brake maintenance only over always the lesser clutch maintenance is an idiots dream who cant really drive properly.
I hope that explained it enough if not I will continue!
You stated that proper use of the clutch system negates wear. That isn't true for all of the parts. Try again.

I’m starting to wonder if you are old enough to drive?

Do you also engine brake an Auto transmission?

Having driven manuals all my life, ranging from sports cars to crane trucks not once did I every think I should engine brake to save my brakes.

I bet you use the shift indicator light on the dash to tell you when to shift too!
He's licensed you know.

Reactions: Superjay5
I'm a bit surprised that no one has discussed "staying in the torque curve" as a reason to shift. I'm 65 years old and have prolly had more 3 pedal vehicles than 2 pedal vehicles, that total number being 38 so far. Even with the 4.0 engine, who here would disagree that the Jeep TJ/LJ is a "slug"? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in straight drive vehicles, including 4 wheel drive dump trucks when I was on the County Road Crew, and an 82' transport truck from coast to coast. In the 20 or so straight drive vehicles I've owned, I've had to do maybe 4 clutch jobs (on my own vehicles). I've owned 5 vintage Corvettes (1962-1971) that I drove VERY hard (not condoning same, but I was a street racer for several years) and 4 straight drive Wranglers. I guess I've just been lucky?

Reactions: Jablinski
I'm a bit surprised that no one has discussed "staying in the torque curve" as a reason to shift. I'm 65 years old and have prolly had more 3 pedal vehicles than 2 pedal vehicles, that total number being 38 so far. Even with the 4.0 engine, who here would disagree that the Jeep TJ/LJ is a "slug"? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in straight drive vehicles, including 4 wheel drive dump trucks when I was on the County Road Crew, and an 82' transport truck from coast to coast. In the 20 or so straight drive vehicles I've owned, I've had to do maybe 4 clutch jobs (on my own vehicles). I've owned 5 vintage Corvettes (1962-1971) that I drove VERY hard (not condoning same, but I was a street racer for several years) and 4 straight drive Wranglers. I guess I've just been lucky?
I think most people are stopping to stop, not stopping to speed up in gear again…so for me I drop it in neutral and use the brake. If for some reason it’s a situation where I can speed up again before I stop, being an experienced (albeit unlicensed like fishtaco) manual driver, I know what gear to put it in to start moving again based on the speed I’m going and the speed I want to be going. It’s really no issue.

I would not want to ever live in a country where I needed a different license to drive a manual trans passenger car. No one needs that level of bullshit in their life.
Coming from a California resident? 😆

Coming from a California resident? 😆
Guess what the rigs below all have in common? That's right, daily driven on the street right here in SoCal. Not one has been hassled or ticketed for any reason. While those that don't live here have a fairly skewed perspective on what we can and can't do, we get by with a whole bunch more vehicle related crap than most realize. Not once have we ever gone into a build with the question "what will the cops do?" ever being a consideration. I'm okay with that.
DSC_5440.JPG
DSC_4745.JPG
DSC_4634.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG

Guess what the rigs below all have in common? That's right, daily driven on the street right here in SoCal. Not one has been hassled or ticketed for any reason. While those that don't live here have a fairly skewed perspective on what we can and can't do, we get by with a whole bunch more vehicle related crap than most realize. Not once have we ever gone into a build with the question "what will the cops do?" ever being a consideration. I'm okay with that.
View attachment 268256View attachment 268257View attachment 268258View attachment 268259

Very nice builds....

Reactions: SvtLdr and mrblaine
I don’t think anyone is saying not to be in the torque curve, I’m always right at 3,000 rpms in any gear at any time. I’m not saying don’t down shift, it would be moronic not to. It’s the concept of engine braking when coming to a stop to save your brakes, that is the issue.

Reactions: UKTJ and TheGanzman
View attachment 268256View attachment 268257View attachment 268258View attachment 268259
Always nice builds. What that just made me think about what you just said is if I'll get hassled in Florida when I get moved there next year.

Anyone in Florida know if I'd have problems with my rig without fenders?

Edit: I should have Googled this before asking. It doesn't look like I'll have any problems with my TJ in Florida.

20140111_110851sized1000Cro.jpg

Always nice builds. What that just made me think about what you just said is if I'll get hassled in Florida when I get moved there next year.

View attachment 268264
I don't think florida cares if you pull the tub and bolt a seat to the frame and drive it that way. From what the folks I know who live there tell me, there are almost no requirements at all. You should be fine, I'd think.

And one of those buddies runs with no flares at all too, no issues from what he's told me.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have seen a few Jeep without fenders, but I have not seen anyone stopped on the road by the JSO or JBP.
Daily I see Jeep owners driving without factory doors or even tube doors.

Great question Jerry, enforcement can ruin your day:(
I believe the bigger question would be , Can I run fender-less in Florida as a practical matter?
All of the VERY NICE desert / rock crawler Jeeps Blaine shared obviously don't deal with any type of moisture on a regular basis .
You couldn't drive 500' down a mountain dirt road in rain or snow without eliminating all thoughts of visibility, including the windshield.
Unless you can daily drive something else , you will need to get a wet suit and scuba setup as your next TJ accessory. :ROFLMAO:

Great question Jerry, enforcement can ruin your day:(
I believe the bigger question would be , Can I run fender-less in Florida as a practical matter?
All of the VERY NICE desert / rock crawler Jeeps Blaine shared obviously don't deal with any type of moisture on a regular basis .
You couldn't drive 500' down a mountain dirt road in rain or snow without eliminating all thoughts of visibility, including the windshield.
Unless you can daily drive something else , you will need to get a wet suit and scuba setup as you next TJ accessory. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I hear you, I just got back from Florida (son's wedding) and it rained every single day. I have already come to the conclusion I'll have to keep my full soft top on for most of the year. :(

My point is and will be that his position is highly flawed that you can magically save wear on clutch components if you are a licensed user with proper skills. Mechanically, there are specific parts that wear every single time you disengage the clutch no matter how skilled you are. From the barest beginner to the most skilled clutch user, that won't change and there is nothing anyone can do about that except not use the clutch.
Yes I get that. Which is why I made the point that heel and toe changes would not save such wear.

So your position is that because we don't license manual owners separately we have a higher number of folks killed on our roads, is that correct? If you believe that, you're an idiot.
No, my position was that maybe a system that allows people to drive a manual, having been taught to drive and tested for your licence in an automatic may be a contributory factor to the higher level of deaths in the US than the UK or Australia. I do not know if that is the case or not. Even if it is there will be many other causal factors as I am pretty sure it will not be a simple matter.

But it seems you are certain the testing regime isn't a factor, which means you must know what the cause of the difference is. Please feel free to explain what the underlying causes are and point to the academic research that identified them.

Reactions: Succentor
I don’t think anyone is saying not to be in the torque curve, I’m always right at 3,000 rpms in any gear at any time. I’m not saying don’t down shift, it would be moronic not to. It’s the concept of engine braking when coming to a stop to save your brakes, that is the issue.
It sounds like we agree on the point, ie being in the right gear at the right time. As opposed to just stopping the car and then changing from 5th to 1st, which seems to be what some are advocating.