Rear drum brake replacement

Mine kept popping out. I welded them in place. Will just get new ones when I replace shoes and drums before winter. Poorly made aftermarket pieces installed by the PO. Wish I had the OEM parts.
On the second side mine kept popping out too. Until I had my wife hold the adjuster bracket up to give me slack and I held the cable guide bracket all while quickly putting the last two springs on and it held the cable guide bracket in place. Stresses me out just thinking about it.

Key points for future reference that others have also noted:

1. I reused the adjuster bracket piece instead of the new one in the kit to avoid scratching a groove in the new drum rotor.

2. Make sure the cable guide bracket is fully seated in the hole on the tension won’t be enough to pull the adjuster bracket to the star wheel.

That is a key here, your "2.". Took me a few tries to figure out what was going on.

For me, there was a real sense of pride from getting done and knowing that it was done correctly.

Nice work!

Reactions: dudehitt
That is a key here, your "2.". Took me a few tries to figure out what was going on.

For me, there was a real sense of pride from getting done and knowing that it was done correctly.

Nice work!
That's the key for me. Bloody fingers, bruises, whatever it takes, i just love it when i get it done and it all works like it should.

On the second side mine kept popping out too. Until I had my wife hold the adjuster bracket up to give me slack and I held the cable guide bracket all while quickly putting the last two springs on and it held the cable guide bracket in place. Stresses me out just thinking about it.
Mine would stay until using the parking brake a few times.

I did mine and it was a pain but what they charge at the shop is crazy, and it was really interesting to do it, if you ever do the disc in the front you’ll be amazed at how much easier it is. Makes me want to put a Dana 44 in the rear just so I can get rid of the drum brakes! Congrats on a successful install, I think if you own a Jeep, you can watch a few YouTube videos and tackle pretty much anything on the thing which makes it so much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my parking brake doesn’t hold on inclines anymore. I pop the drums and brake pads are long gone. I ordered new shoes, springs and cylinders as well as new rotors. Now my question: is this I job I want to do myself? Ive read all the threads related to this topic and it seems like many have had hiccups during some part of the install. Also I’ve read the “things I’ve rather do than change rear drum brakes”. Is this a job I should outsource? Or tackle myself? Will I regret taking it all apart then struggle for hours upon hours trying to put it back together then not have it function properly?

The rear brakes are a PITA but you can learn quite a bit doing the job yourself. The Haynes manual or others cover all the basics. If you do the job yourself buy new hardware kits along with the shoes. This will have all new springs. Buy new ratchet wheel self adjusters. Note there is a left and right side. A handy tool like the hooked tool that slips over the top post that holds the springs is nice but you can do it with a large screw driver. The only way to learn about your Jeep is to do jobs like this by yourself. Note the position of every part as you disassemble and lay them on the floor beside you. Take particular note of the adjusting mechanism at the bottom of the shoes and how it works. One side is a left handed thread and the other side is a right handed thread. For your first rear brake job give yourself 1/2 to a full day and take notes for the next time you do it.

The rear brakes are a PITA but you can learn quite a bit doing the job yourself. The Haynes manual or others cover all the basics. If you do the job yourself buy new hardware kits along with the shoes. This will have all new springs. Buy new ratchet wheel self adjusters. Note there is a left and right side. A handy tool like the hooked tool that slips over the top post that holds the springs is nice but you can do it with a large screw driver. The only way to learn about your Jeep is to do jobs like this by yourself. Note the position of every part as you disassemble and lay them on the floor beside you. Take particular note of the adjusting mechanism at the bottom of the shoes and how it works. One side is a left handed thread and the other side is a right handed thread. For your first rear brake job give yourself 1/2 to a full day and take notes for the next time you do it.
Oh man. I didn’t check the self adjusters for the thread. I assumed the parts were interchangeable for ether side. Hope it functions correctly

Definitely a good learning experience. Always worth it in the end when you finish the job and a great sense of accomplishment. Always sucks during the job though when everything turns into a struggle. Bled the brakes, parking brake holds again on inclines and no noises when test driving. Hopefully no projects or repairs in the near future🤙🏽 This job as much as it sucked still isn’t worse than rear shocks lol

4DA2B25D-D0C2-49C6-8B7A-A2FFEB790D05.jpeg

It's not too bad. May need a spring tool, but I've done car springs with a screwdriver. Went out and bought the tool when I had to do a truck. I also buy both hardware kits every time, they're cheap.

There are a lot of youtube videos to help you keep track of the proper assembly order.
Hey,
which hardware kit did you get and do you know a good brand for the rear brake shoes and drums?

Best