Rear End Creaking

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!! We are going to replace the rear gasket/oil and then add the friction modifier to know we are clean inside. I'll let you know what happens!

Read the labels when you buy it. In my head most (if not all?) of the full synthetics have the modifier in it already. The label will state one way or the other.

Reactions: AndyG
Read the labels when you buy it. In my head most (if not all?) of the full synthetics have the modifier in it already. The label will state one way or the other.

I just bought the additive .... we are going to test the theory by just adding it to the existing and if it fixes the issue then great we'll know to do that when we do the full rear diff oil change if the new diff oil doesn't already have the additive.

Did this earlier today, can't replicate it once in the air. And to take that one step further, it actually only makes the sound when I'm turning. So it has to do with something binding I suspect.

That noise leans toward your limited slip set up- you need to dive into that rear end like Rock Hudson at a …..well you get the idea.

Reactions: gatertamer
That noise leans toward your limited slip set up- you need to dive into that rear end like Rock Hudson at a …..well you get the idea.

I pulled the diff cover and there was only about 1/4 to 1/2 a qt of oil in the housing. I cleaned it all out, checked for damage, cleaned up and painted the cover, reinstalled it, added about 2 qts of gear oil along with about 5oz the friction reducer additive and viola, no more noise in rear end.

Reactions: AndyG
I pulled the diff cover and there was only about 1/4 to 1/2 a qt of oil in the housing. I cleaned it all out, checked for damage, cleaned up and painted the cover, reinstalled it, added about 2 qts of gear oil along with about 5oz the friction reducer additive and viola, no more noise in rear end.

Good move. You just saved a LOT of expense- watch for leaks a while.

Thanks for posting- we learn more that way as well.

Well, here's the sound;

This is a 155k mile 2004 with a 4.0, auto trans, and a Dana 44 rear. From the T/C back there is a new U-joint on the driveshaft, new axle bearings and seals, new calipers/pads/rotors, new parking brake shoes, fresh diff fluid, new pinion seal, new rear shocks, new rear sway bar end links.

As soon as I get any speed this sound goes away and it drives fine. But it's annoying as hell and happens at all forward and reverse starts once it's even slightly warmed up. I can leave the garage and it's fine, but by the time I drive it 10-15 minutes I get the creaks.

Any ideas? The Dana 44 doesn't rely on a correct preload, right? Just torque. What else am I missing here? Do I need to inspect gear teeth?

If it is noticeable only when turning then I would say it is your spyder gears. Mine did that after the PO’s welds started breaking loose from his redneck locker. The metal chunks from the welds got into the gears and made similar noise. Bad news is it caused all kinds of damage to gears, bearings, seals, and axle rods. I had to replace them all.

Crack open the diff case with wheels lifted and turn each wheel by hand to look for junk in there and to determine if that is the noise.

If it is noticeable only when turning then I would say it is your spyder gears. Mine did that after the PO’s welds started breaking loose from his redneck locker. The metal chunks from the welds got into the gears and made similar noise. Bad news is it caused all kinds of damage to gears, bearings, seals, and axle rods. I had to replace them all.

Crack open the diff case with wheels lifted and turn each wheel by hand to look for junk in there and to determine if that is the noise.

FFIW... I had the exact same noise for several months... could not pin point it for the life of me....was reading this thread and decided to check rear differential level ....turns out it was 8 ounces short... filled it up with 4 ounces of LSD additive and 4 ounces of gear oil... noise gone😀